Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine or trans leak?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
bdimond
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine or trans leak?

I've got a 96 F250 powerstroke 5 spd, its leaking fluid pretty bad and it appears to be motor oil but when the truck is parked the fluid seems to be coming primarily from the transmission area. any suggestions on what my problem might be or the best way to pin-point my leak?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
RSCHAP1
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Going to guess rear main seal is leaking. If you can figure it out by keeping an eye on the engine and trans fluid levels, you will know if it is either rear main on the engine, or front seal in trans depending on which is losing fluid. But a rear main will leak into the bell housing / torque convertor area of the trans and drip out of the inspection cover there.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it is trans fluid it will be red in color.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
use a white paper towel or shop cloth to wipe from ground or engine... If it's brown-tan, it's oil from your rear main (ie have fun pulling your tranny to get the rear main replaced). if it's red it tranny fluid and probably coming from the front seal of the transmission... again have fun pulling the tranny to fix the leak.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
bdimond
New User
okay, thanks guys, i guess i know what i'm doing this weekend

Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
dgoertel
Freshman User
Ford motors seem to have this problem alot least the older ones there trany's are usual never the case an if it was the trany you would see oil runnin down your tranny to the end of it an it would be red an you would defintly notice it if it was low as for normal engine oil delo 10w 30 etc it can do the same thing it can be leaking from the front of your engine by your water pump an it will run all the way back to the tranny do to inertia force the oil back wards. best way to find out though is to clean your motor get those grease/ oil removing cans from napa or where ever spray it on while your engine while it is still warm. let it sit awhile it should say on directions the time to set. then spray it off. also by die an put it in your motor run it for awhile when its dark out. then grab a black light an the die will show up. thats they way you will find its exact postion. An while your at torq down all your bolts an nuts you can. if you want take it down to your local mechanic they'll do this for a cheap price as well but doing it at home saves a little money.

Search this Thread