Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

16" rims on f150?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
16" rims on f150?

I am going to be lifting my 95 in the near future, and I was wanting to upgrade my wheels to a 16". Right now I have the stock 15" alcoa's, and it is expensive to get big tires with a 15" rim, 16" is cheaper, and I think I would be better off with 16"s. So my question is, what 16" rims will fit my 1995 f150? Will I have to convert them to 3/4ton rims? Am I stuck in the aftermarket?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
92nite351
Elder User
92nite351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you are stuck in the aftermarket my friend... due to the large front hubs we have on our trucks....

Old 02-28-2011, 05:59 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
Well that really sucks... turns a $1500 lift into a $2500 lift..

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Are there any rims that you would specifically recommend? Or a brand?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:19 PM
92nite351
Elder User
92nite351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
rims are def about preference and what you like. i like the black daytona wheels, they are resonabley priced. some guys like big flashy chrome and they are down right stupid on price... but go steel cuz they are way more reliable then any alloy.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
American Racing Outlaw II's look very similar to my alcoa's, which I like. Very reasonably priced as well. 16x8s are $145 each (+shipping)

Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Sgt Neutron
Junior User
Sgt Neutron is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 4" lift on my '95 4x4, and went with 16" x 8" wheels. The Pacer 162 is a close twin to the factory aluminum wheels, and I think I paid about $105 each IIRC. Tires are GT radial Adventuro at about $145 each. Tire size is LT305/70R/16. I could have gone with a better quality tire, but as I only put about 2,000 miles per year on the truck, the tires will probably rot before they wear out. The tire/wheel combination also keeps the tires within the fenders. I've been down some REALLY muddy roads lately, and had a minimum of mud slung in the bed (i.e. on the tools I was hauling).

Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
^^^ That is the exact look I am shooting for with my 95. I am going with a 4" lift and want to keep the tires inside the fenders like that!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
5x135 or 5x139.7?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Sgt Neutron
Junior User
Remember that going with the larger diameter tire, it will effect your final drive ratio. When I first got my tires, my truck was still geared at 3.55. Needless to say with a 4" larger diameter tire, it wasn't the best for pulling or hauling much. I regeared to 4.56, and it will pull like there's no tomorrow, even with the 5.0L motor. Note that with the 4x4 you'll need to regear both front & rear axles.

Gear ratio chart:
Gearing Up for Taller Tires! Superlift www.superlift.com

Tire size calcculator:
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Also, with the larger tire, the speedometer will need to be recalibrated.

Even with the larger tires & gearing, I can still squeeze 13-14 mpg out of it if I'm not towing, and am careful with the right foot.

The wheels are 5 x 5.5", whatever that equates to metrically.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Yeah I am aware about the final drive ratio change. That is why I am going with 33"s and not 35"s, so I can maintain some form of driveability. I too have 3.55's. Was it imperritive to change the gears, or would I be okay with the 3.55's? I don't have the extra $$$ for new gears right now. I also am aware that the bolt pattern is 5x5.5, I was hoping you knew the metric equivilent.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Sgt Neutron
Junior User
Originally Posted by big-ugly View Post
Yeah I am aware about the final drive ratio change. That is why I am going with 33"s and not 35"s, so I can maintain some form of driveability. I too have 3.55's. Was it imperritive to change the gears, or would I be okay with the 3.55's? I don't have the extra $$$ for new gears right now. I also am aware that the bolt pattern is 5x5.5, I was hoping you knew the metric equivilent.
My truck was driveable with the 3.55's, but was weak on the acceleration side (getting onto the freeway was sort of slow). If you aren't hauling anything of weight in the the bed you should be OK. I do some pulling/hauling with my truck, so the gearing does help in that regard. My computer metric conversion shows 5.5 inches = 139.7mm.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
I do not drive any freeway with my truck, or hardly any highway for that matter. Would I have any issues pulling my buddies' trucks out when they get stuck? Thanks for the conversion.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Sgt Neutron
Junior User
Originally Posted by big-ugly View Post
I do not drive any freeway with my truck, or hardly any highway for that matter. Would I have any issues pulling my buddies' trucks out when they get stuck? Thanks for the conversion.

Hmmmm, sorta depends on if they're stuck in the mud 3" deep or up to the floorboards. Any kind of severe pulling you'd probably notice the difference. However, with the 4.9L and a 5 speed you might be OK for light/med pulling. Only one way to find out! If you can't pull your bud's truck out, at least you'd be able to give him a ride.

The only time I was really stuck was with my old '86 Toyota 4wd. Backed into some snow that was hiding a rather large ditch. Was hard stuck at a really awkward angle(no damage to truck though). Add to the fact that it was in the middle of nowhere (pre cell phone days too), temp was dropping (0 degrees--December in North Dakota). Was with my friend contemplating what to do (there was a farmhouse about 5 miles away, we could make it before dark). Then one of these came towards us about 10 minutes after getting stuck. Three days later, I delivered a bottle of single malt Scotch to the driver:

These will unstick ANYTHING

Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
One of my buddies has a 2010 $250,000 Deere, very similar to the one you pictured. You are correct, they unstick ANYTHING, including two stuck Cat dozers chained together!

EDIT: I should say it belongs to their farm, it is not personally my buddies tractor, it is his dad's, but we have access to it anytime we need it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 16" rims on f150?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.