1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration in front Driveline

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Thor616
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all...
I've got an 01 X Limited V10 4X4. I live in the Northeast and have been having some kind of a vibration since the last storm. I did put her into 4 wheel a few times around town but for the most part it was not needed. For a day or two I felt a vibration -- very noticable -- like I was running over rumble strips. It happened once or twice and lasted about 4 to 5 seconds. It seemed to go away and I just figured that there was something on the road. Well it seems to have come back.

The vibration will happen as I am slowing at about anywhere below 20 MPH. Is there something possibly hanging up with the 4X4 system? I do have the auto hubs and I checked to make sure that both were in the auto position. I've got 30,000 plus miles on her and have had her serviced every 3,000 and tires rotated every other service. Most of the miles are on the highway as I travel for a living. I do not beat the truck so to say just a little heavy footed on the highway. She doesn't like to run under 75. LOL.

I am taking her in next Thursday to the dealer. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.....

01 X Limited V10 4X4 Estate Green.........

Old 03-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic

Are you sure it's just not the ABS (anti-lock brakes) kicking in? When ABS activates, the brake pedal will vibrate with a rumble. I'm suggesting this because when I'm on sand or loose surfaces, my ABS will kick in like crazy (just as it should) if I step on the brake a little too hard.

Old 03-15-2003, 04:35 PM
redranger1
Posting Guru

possibly could be the front end alignment. you could have hit somethin and not even known it.

Old 03-15-2003, 05:01 PM
GAV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check 2 things: 1) crawl under your truck and turn the front drive shaft. It shoud turn easy. If it will not turn you probally have a front hub still engaged. 2) jack the front tires up off the ground. Grab the tire on the top ( 12 o'clock ) and at the bottom ( 6 o'clock) and try to move the tire up and down. If you have any free play at all you have bad front bearings. These are sealed units and are very $$$.

Mark

Old 03-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Thor616
Freshman User

Thank you for the replies guys. I'm positive it is not the ABS pulsating as this condition is present without touching the brake pedal. I am familiar with the shaking from the front and rear ABS as there has been quite a bit of snow and ice this winter. The alingment could be a possibility -- I'm very careful and protective of my baby -- but the roads have taken a beating this year. I do a lot of highway driving and the truck runs very true and straight and I rotate the tires every 6,000 and have no adverse wear. I am planning on crawling under her tonight to check the front shaft and jack it up to check the bearings. Now that I have been thinking about how she has been acting the last week or two she did seem to turn much harder while in 4 wheel. It would lose some turning radius but now that I think of it it has been much worse the last few times I've had to use 4 wheel. I'm guessing this would lean towards the bearing being bad? Hopefully I can find something this evening when I get under her.
Again, thanks guys for taking the time to read and respond to my post. Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

01 X V10 Limited Estate Green.....