6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Cab & Chassis Questions new 6.7 user

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Burnerman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easing into the throttle works ok. once the turbo starts to boost it'll pull good but if you then mash the pedal it seems like it's not doing anything.
The 6.4 would lag a second or 2 and by the time the front tires were crossing the double yellow lines from a stopped left turn the turbo would spool up and the inside duals would start to spin the rear would start to lock up and if you weren't careful the front end would start to push out. It scared the poo outta me the first time and I learned to feather the pedal in turns. The 6.7 has come close to doing that but I can definatly feel the lack of power. Not sure why WOT wouldn't give the same effect as "rolling easy" into the throttle. With as smart as these ECM computers are it seems to me that the engineers could program it so at WOT from a stop the truck would accelerate as quickly as possible whether protecting the drivetrain or not. They figured out how to do it with braking...IE antilocks...I dunno....
Like I posted before the 6.4 took until 1500mi before it seemed to power up. Not sure if it's a break in thing in the ECM or what I've got another 600mi till then. Should be there by next weekend.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:08 PM
jim48
Elder User
Thanks Rich. If I ever get a chance to tow anything I'll sure try to feel what this lag is all about. Guess we will have to be ever vigilant to not get in a situation where you need to punch it and nothing happens. Perhaps a fix is in the future??? I'm sure glad we have a little group of chassis cab owners here. I'm very appreciative of you guys posting info pertinent to our truck concerning it's peculiarities.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
WLDWND
New User
Is the turbo size the same on the chassis/cab as the pickup? I know the design is a little different, but what parts exactly? If it is just the internal parts of the turbo then maybe we can change our turbo's internals from single stage to whatever the pickups have to get rid of the lag we're experiencing.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 AM
jim48
Elder User
I don't know the details on that. I'll try to ask my dealer's diesel mechanic. He's pretty sharp. I bet the housing and all associated with it are different as well. I bet that would get expensive real quick. Maybe there's a way to address the issue by software. I sure don't know. We will have to get someone to join in here that knows the design of the two different turbos. Let's keep in touch over the issue some way.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by WLDWND
Is the turbo size the same on the chassis/cab as the pickup? I know the design is a little different, but what parts exactly? If it is just the internal parts of the turbo then maybe we can change our turbo's internals from single stage to whatever the pickups have to get rid of the lag we're experiencing.
I do not believe this to be possible without aftermarket programming.

Remember that these engines monitor manifold pressure constantly as part of the engine management process. This is how the PCM knows that everything, including the turbo, is working as it should.

If you put in a different turbo that behaves different from your stock unit without aftermarket programming, I'm pretty confident it'll set a trouble code for over/underboost and go into reduced power mode.

This isn't the type of engine you can make modifications to without addressing the engine control programming. EVERYTHING this engine does is either computer controlled or monitored.

Swapping the turbo and changing the tuning are the two fastest ways to get your warranty cancelled. NOT recommended.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
jim48
Elder User
Thanks Tom. Thou I have not experienced the lag yet, I have no doubt it exists. Since I have nothing but two bare frame members with nothing on them but a spare tire I obviously am not putting any load on the engine. As I have said before my driving technique is definitely "grandma" so I may be somewhat less prone to experience lag. However, that certainly doesn't mean you couldn't find yourself in a predicament, then experience the lag. Us chassis cab guys need to know if there is a way to address the issue. Not sure where to start the ball rolling. Obviously your dealer, but Ford needs to be made aware of the situation. I wonder who we could contact. I have seen someone from Ford on the site. Don't know how to contact him. Maybe some of you moderators could help us. I'd sure be willing to pursue the issue, just don't know the best way to do it. I guess the lag issue is more prevalent for us cc guys than those with the pickups. I know it's a different turbo so perhaps not a problem to the pickup owners.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Burnerman
New User
Well, I have 1266mi's on it and it definatly has nowhere near the power of the 6.4. If you drive it like granny it gets the job done. ANy thing past 1/2 throttle is useless. I had it out on rt 80 and maintained 65mph. On hills mashing the pedal to the floor kicked it down to 5th and it just maintained 65mph no increase in speed....Flats it'll speed up fine, Oh and forget the on ramp LOL.. It was spooky trying to get up to speed to merge. Felt like I was in my old VW bug again..Ha ha.
Gonna check the owners manual but does it display when it's in regen like the 6.4? I fueled it up and had maybe 300lbs extra load in the bed and could just manage 40mph up a hill. It was just really ******* out. I ran a system check and it didn't say it was regening but I hope it was. 1/2 tank of fuel or less it has more pickup and go... I dunno. I'm gonna fill it up and see if it dogs again tomorrow. It's got power just seems like none to spare.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM
jim48
Elder User
Wow Burnerman, you're scaring me. I wish I could get some weight on this thing but still a ways off from a bed. Doesn't sound like I'll have enough power to pull a 5th wheel. The last time I had mine out I kicked it a little and it seemed to get to 75 mighty quick, but of course no weight. I by no means put the accelerator to the floor just gave it a little throttle. Seemed to do great. I'd better quit reading this site or I'm going to drive myself crazy. Do you have any GOOD news?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Rich1961
Tuned

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts
Jim,
I wouldn't worry to much about it right now. Mine has good power, although I haven't towed anything with it. The only issue I have with it is on take off and accelerating after a turn. I'm sure it is a programming issue and hopefully Ford will get it figured out soon. Remember, most of these forum topics are dealing with members vehicles who are having issues and looking for help. Any forums of the 3 brands of trucks will scare you if you read all the issues with them.
Rich

Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM
trevordog88
Freshman User
I was going to place an order soon for a 2011 f450 cab and chassis but after reading these posts, I was wondering if I purchase a regular f450 pickup and remove the bed to install my utility body would void the warranty. I am very disappointed with what ford is doing with their cab chassis. I am about to spend 80k on a truck and can't have so much of what I want. No aux gas tank on cc lariat, no back up camera, no king ranch, no power, no no no. I don't know why I keep buying fords.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
trevordog88
Freshman User
And my current f350 cab chassis, lariat is on its third tranny and second rear end. Plus I keep reading about Ford not covering under warrenty the rusty bumper issue. I want to buy AMERICAN but ford is not making it easy. I wish the jap trucks were heavy duty.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 PM
jim48
Elder User
Thanks Rich. That might be excellent advice. My truck seems to have really good power, I guess time and load will tell. All I've done since Nov 15th is wait for the truck to be built or wait for a bed to be built. It's driving me crazy. I'm getting off this darn site for the night before I go shoot my truck.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 PM
WLDWND
New User
The 450 pickup is completely different from the cab/chassis. The pickup is basically like the 350 with some towing modifications I believe. As long as you don't have it loaded over the limit ford has set, I don't see how removing the bed would affect the warranty.

As for the turbo, I wasn't talking about changing out the complete turbo. More like the internal parts with more efficient ones that spool quicker. I know it would still need to be re-tuned afterwards, but if the external parts are stock it probably wouldn't void the warranty. Unless it caused damage that required the turbo be taken off and replaced. I am very happy with my 450 so far and have 12k miles on it now. But it could use some better throttle response. It's bad enough the cab/chassis has less power, it doesn't need to have lag as well.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
WLDWND
New User
Burnerman, it sounds like your truck is definitely down on power or something. I have a 450 with a stainless steel dump bed and it gets up to speed just fine on the on ramps. When it's not loaded it will easily accelerate past 65 uphill as well.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
trevordog88
Freshman User
Hey WLDWND, thanks for the response. On your previous posts you said you were very disappointed with your F450, specifically the take off power. I know your happy now but I was wondering if something changed with the power or did you just get used to it. I wanted to know if you have any regrets for your purchase and is there enough power. I too drive a 6.0 and was wondering if I'm going to be happy with the 6.7 comparatively. By the way, your dump rig is beautiful.

Quick Reply: Cab & Chassis Questions new 6.7 user