1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cummins/Allison - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Yeah, Jeff, the 4500 is the one I meant. I replaced the 5th gear keeper in my driveway. You know it doesn't mention in the manuals anywhere that the back cover has passages connecting with the main trans body. I had a river of trans fluid cascading down my drive : )

Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mtflat
Yeah, Jeff, the 4500 is the one I meant. I replaced the 5th gear keeper in my driveway. You know it doesn't mention in the manuals anywhere that the back cover has passages connecting with the main trans body. I had a river of trans fluid cascading down my drive : )
It really doesn't help that most 4500s don't have a drain plug either
Did you replace the 5th gear when you did this? If not it is only a matter of time before it comes off again. There are a lot of aftermarket parts out there, some junk and some very good (and expensive) For the longest lasting patch (just putting gear back on without replacing gear and mainshaft) I have found tack welding the nut to the gear and washer to be the most effective. Don't weld the nut to the shaft! I have replaced 2 broken shafts because this was done.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by mechmagcn
It really doesn't help that most 4500s don't have a drain plug either
Did you replace the 5th gear when you did this? If not it is only a matter of time before it comes off again. There are a lot of aftermarket parts out there, some junk and some very good (and expensive) For the longest lasting patch (just putting gear back on without replacing gear and mainshaft) I have found tack welding the nut to the gear and washer to be the most effective. Don't weld the nut to the shaft! I have replaced 2 broken shafts because this was done.
I didn't replace the gear at that time. The next time it comes apart I plan to replace the output shaft with the oversize aftermarket replacement. Any pointers on who has the best stuff. I hate do-overs and cheap is more expensive in the long run.

This repair was a couple of years ago. Never thought about welding it...... my guy giving me pointers out here said it fails because of harmonic vibration issues and suggested staying above 50 mph when in 5th.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by newblder
I currently have a 302/C4 in my 52 F3. It's a good motor and I don't have any issues with it. I just put it in and it only has 10,000 miles on it. I drove it from Grand Forks, ND to Shreveport, LA without a single problem. The setup is great except I would love to have a diesel in it. The idea has been in my head for a while. I just ran across a low mileage (40,000) cummins 12v 6bt for sale. The guy also has a rebuilt Allison transmission that would bolt to it no problem. He said this was an older transmission that doesn't have the computer/wiring. I can afford this right now and am going to look at it on sunday. Are there any problems I should look for on these engines/trannys? What about problems getting them mounted in the truck? Any opinion will be very helpful.
Howdy,

With the right adapter, you can bolt that 12V to just about any transmission out there in radio land.

The Allison you're talking about sounds like it might be an AT-540/545?

I don't think they have an OD top gear.....

To get good cruising performance out of a Cummins, you'll want an OD that gives you somewhere around 1700 RPM on the highway.

In your truck, that could easily give you better than 20 MPG driving empty on the highway!

If you do not have parking brakes on the axle, you'll need a trans that has a tail mounted parking brake (like the one in my gallery) or you'll need to add something to give you some sort of E-brakes. (in an F3, I would put a later model axle in it with disc brakes+e-brakes)

the 4BT swaps site has a section on 6bt swaps as does others.....

There's a LOT of info out there on transmissions etc. You can easily put GM 4L80E or a Ford E4OD and built right, they'll haul anything you can put behind them with any engine you put in front of them!

I am putting an E4OD in my F-600 (16000GVW) It lived 190,000 miles in a 94 diesel F-450 SuperDuty truck that routinely did 22,000 ++ lbs GCVW and did it with no problems other than a front seal leak!

The E4OD will work great behind a 6BT and I will probably use one when and if I put a 6BT in my F-600.

Cheers,

Rick

There are many forums that are talking about the very thing you want to do.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
The next time it comes apart I plan to replace the output shaft with the oversize aftermarket replacement. Any pointers on who has the best stuff.
These folks seem to have the needed fixes addressed and parts to make it right, not cheap, but right QUAD 4x4 Home Page
Sorry for the Back to regular programming

Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Thanks Jeff.

Good info Rick - I am a bit surprised about the E4OD. I've always thought of it as tempermental and problematic.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Thanks Jeff.

Good info Rick - I am a bit surprised about the E4OD. I've always thought of it as tempermental and problematic.
I have heard the same thing but the guy I got mine from had no problems at all running it in his F450 and he REALLY abused it. (he just thought, with 190,000 on it, and a front main seal leak, it was worn out....... and he also wanted to switch to a 5 speed.

Another friend who rebuilds them for a living (and rebuilt this one for me) told me that the E4OD/4R100 built right will run with the "best" of them and can be very reliable......he builds a LOT of them.........He also said mine wasn't really worn out. It did have a slight leak in the front main seal (a common problem with a WHOLE bunch of FORD automatics from the 90's)

It was the only medium duty auto trans I could get for the price that had a parking brake on the back and with an adapter available to connect to my Y-block.

( I got the used diesel trans free and for $1400 my friend got me another case to match the Y-block adapter, and then built me a trans with updated HD internals, AND included rebuilt parking brake on the back......my neighbor kept his parking brake for the 5 speed ZF trans he put in the F450)

It was a SUPER deal. I'll have the only Y-block powered 55 F-600 with a 4 speed, over-drive, locking TC automatic!!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM
newblder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called another guy today and he has a spicer 6 speed transmission to go with his 6bt. Does anyone know anything about those transmissions? Would this fit in my F3?

Last edited by newblder; 03-06-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Could it possibly be a New Venture? They used them in the Dodge trucks, never heard anything bad.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:30 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by newblder
I called another guy today and he has a spicer 6 speed transmission to go with his 6bt. Does anyone know anything about those transmissions? Would this fit in my F3?
It is a big trans, I don't know if it will fit your f3
I used the fuller 5306 six speed out of a 95 f750, I'm very happy with it..... Its now in my 56 f600 with a 94 cummins 6bt.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 AM
newblder
Senior User
Originally Posted by rustyrelic
It is a big trans, I don't know if it will fit your f3
I used the fuller 5306 six speed out of a 95 f750, I'm very happy with it..... Its now in my 56 f600 with a 94 cummins 6bt.

I decided not to go with that motor/trans. The guy had a picture of the truck it was in. It was the right engine but the trans looked way too big. I found another 6bt a few hours from my house. I might go pick it up today hopefully but definitely sometime this week.

I need to sell the 302/C4 from my truck now to get some money for the rest of the project. Well, at least a good start.

Last edited by newblder; 03-07-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM
newblder
Senior User
Bought a Cummins

My wife and my Cummins 6bt. I picked up the motor tonight.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

This guy is just down the road from me. I've seen the conversions he does and they're clean! He doesn't have kits to put the 6bt in truck as old as ours but he might be a source of information. fwiw

fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits

Old 03-08-2011, 08:15 AM
newblder
Senior User
Thanks. I'll look it up. I need info on bellhousings for a NV4500 to mount to it. Maybe I can find something there.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
This guy is just down the road from me. I've seen the conversions he does and they're clean! He doesn't have kits to put the 6bt in truck as old as ours but he might be a source of information. fwiw

fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits
If you go this route i would be interested in the results. Pictures would be a great help. BTW: What year did your engine come out of??

jim

Quick Reply: Cummins/Allison - need opinions