6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Who is controlling my accelerator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Who is controlling my accelerator?

Does anybody else notice the wacky actions the throttle takes on our trucks? If you hit the pedal WFO it seems as to retard the motor and not produce the full potential of the 6.7. Also, the other day I was coasting around 20 MPH when i blipped the throttle and the let off, but the transmission shifted and the truck still accelerated for a split second. Is this some 1st year quirks, or a protection program for the driveline?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Computer controlled. Anything 08 and up is gonna act just a little wierd because of the emissions systems. You get used to it after while. Roll into the throttle and it will respond better.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:31 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere - that the computer was programed to protect the driveline from the jolt of torque that is generated by suddenly flooring the throttle. So you dont break u-joints, drive shafts, and all kinds of other things.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by GMUGNIER
I read somewhere - that the computer was programed to protect the driveline from the jolt of torque that is generated by suddenly flooring the throttle. So you dont break u-joints, drive shafts, and all kinds of other things.
If that is the case -- you think they would have built the truck stronger to handle it!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Most of the time I wait, but if I know I'm putting myself into a situation (pulling out in a gap of busy traffic) I throw it in manual and shift to second (if your stopped, coast a half foot and it will shift to second from first; you'll feel it). It takes about 1 full second before you move much but once the turbo kicks in, you better hold on to your head (while watching traffic and shifting to third).

This is without a heavy load, BTW.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I think our trucks have very erratic throttle control and for some reason it almost seems to be getting worse. I think they need a flash for it.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 PM
jaybread
Senior User
I agree-throttle management system is erratic.
I don't buy the driveline protection theory, Ford just needs to do a better a job in power management.

Next time you read about protecting the driveline, ask them why the drivetrain doesn't break when you are in low range and the torque is multiplied 3x?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
my problem is IMO the throttle management is actually causing stress on the driveline. when I have a trailer hooked up and I am almost accidently breaking the tires loose that is a problem.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And, forklifts are drive by wire now, lifts and boom lifts don't have hydraulic valves anymore, it's all electric. All that "feel" you learn over time is gone, you can't "feel" equipment anymore. Just the way it is.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
I am waiting for my custom tunes and new exhaust. They still haven't been officially released from my preferred source, but a few other vendors already have devices in production.
A reliable re-program from a trusted source should reduce the truck's erratic throttle response...then to be replaced by my own more erratic, but more preferred driving habits.
Certainly more risky for the warranty, but the time in my truck is long and valuable to me, and I'm worth the improvements!
Perhaps those of you at lower altitude already have enough truck.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couldn't this be related to traction control? If you turn it off completely (hold the button five seconds) then yes there is still turbo lag but it will get up and fly.

With traction control on, when I'm in snow and floor it the engine is really governed, it wont spin much and holds the RPMs down to a minimum.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
RSC and ESC auto engages at 35MPH if turned off (5 second button hold).
TCS does remain off at all speeds.

Does RSC and ESC automatically turn off when you return to a speed below 35 or do both stay on?
That's something I haven't tested and don't know.
ie.: similar behavior to the ELD.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickx
Couldn't this be related to traction control? If you turn it off completely (hold the button five seconds) then yes there is still turbo lag but it will get up and fly.

With traction control on, when I'm in snow and floor it the engine is really governed, it wont spin much and holds the RPMs down to a minimum.
My traction light never blinks when this happens. From the surging at low speed, to the hunting for a gear when pulling out, this truck needs a update ASAP. When i'm towing 4 ton is when this truck shifts and perfoms the best.....

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
That is a good thought. I will try this tonight and report.