1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bad Injector O Rings cause blow by and oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
If your compression is good this just may be what's happening. When you put your foot into it there's easily 2400+ PSI of oil pressure against the top and middle o-ring. Lots of oil can pass by a bad top or middle o-ring and it could lower your peak HPO pressure depending on the size of the leak or number of bad o-rings.
Makes sense. Well everything except ever having 2400+ psi out of my worn out old 15* HPOP! I bet it has 1200 or so now and we'll find out soon enough now that my order's in with Clay : Riffraff Diesel: Diesel HPOP Pressure

I've actually wanted something like this for TEN YEARS now... Nice to finally have it so close. Just need a multi position rotary switch to change between my water, ZF6, and rear diff sending units... Gonna get rid of one of the temp gauges to make room for the new kid on the block.

But I do get a little gray cloud from the exhaust under heavy acceleration that has started about the same time as the consumption problem.

unclelee -

Here's some stuff I wrote about changing injectors: Replacing Injectors On 1999-2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesels .: Articles

My comments are the ones from another user. To me every effort should be made to avoid getting oil and fuel into the cyl in the first place. Then the cleanup effort is less and the the chance of hydrolocking is less.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Andy,

At first you will enjoy watching that HPOP gauge. I had my HPOP gauge in the pillar pod but it's constant movement became distracting, especially at night with a lighted gauge needle, and I moved it to a pod under the cubby.

Unclelee,

As for fluid in the cylinders remove #7 and #8 first and let the oil and fuel galleys drain into just those 2 cylinders before removing the rest. The way the engine sits with the back lower then the front almost all the oil and fuel will drain to the rear. I got that tip from Dan's (Kwikkordead) procedure. When I hand cranked the engine with paper towels over the GP holes only 7 & 8 expelled fuid, all the others were essentially dry, barely a spot on the paper towel.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
unclelee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question.

I had the ford dealer do a "buzz" test on the injectors. The report came back pass, but says buzz very weak.

Could weak injectors cause more than average oil consumption?
Is it normal for a report to say "all" injectors could be weak?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 AM
unclelee
New User
This is what the full report says.

Z16D PERFORMANCE DIAGNOSTICS DIESEL ENGINE

448 CPF1 1.90

154354 1.90

PERF KOEO ON DEMAND PASS

KOEO CONT PASS

KOEO INJECTOR TEST PASSED

BUZZ VERY WEAK

PID MONITOR ICP V AND ICP PRESSOR IPR COMMAND ICP PRESSURE 1200PSI AND IPR 30%

RPM CHECK OK

INSPECTED TURBO FINS SOME DAMAGE BUT NO SIGNS OF DUST INGESTED.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What was the 1200psi from. With bad o rings you can also have low icp readings. At wot you icp should be around 2800psi and 35% duty cycle.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
For me the last time I measured it I got 1400. Just guessing it's worse now since it's been several years. I agree I *should* get 2800 and 35% but with an early 99 and a Tuner I don't think that's realistic even with a good OEM 15* pump. I'll data log some before and afters on doing the orings and see if we get a difference.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
unclelee
New User
Originally Posted by bulla
What was the 1200psi from. With bad o rings you can also have low icp readings. At wot you icp should be around 2800psi and 35% duty cycle.
I'm assuming "Injection Control Pressure Sensor" was 1200psi. This is low? It was not flagged on the report from dealer.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:30 PM
unclelee
New User
I called the deal to find out what the 1200psi reading was from and if normal.
Waiting for call back.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
unclelee
New User
Dealer said they don't know what is "normal" on the 1200psi reading. Acted stupid when I asked them to explain the data. Said truck was cold on startup, ran bad, so don't worry about the data.

What kind of idiots charge you $110 to scan your truck and tells you disregard the data because they did not allow enough time for warm up?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unclelee
Quick question.

I had the ford dealer do a "buzz" test on the injectors. The report came back pass, but says buzz very weak.

Could weak injectors cause more than average oil consumption?
Is it normal for a report to say "all" injectors could be weak?
"Very weak" is a pretty subjective term. All weak or some weak, what are they talking about. Did they not pay attention as each injector was buzzed individually.

The buzz test is mainly an electrical test of the injector solenoids via the IDM. Has no bearing on oil consumption.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:33 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you at OP? Maybe someone near you with an ae could be of some assistans!!

Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 AM
hamcobee
New User
Blowby & Oil consumption

I've tried it all except new injectors & replacing the rings. Disconected the CCV hose from the filter intake, & ran the hose down the frame to behind the cab. Replaced the Injector outer o-rings, & turbo. New o-rings helped the smoking problem, but the turbo was a waste of money. Oil consumption got worse after I changed oil to 0W40 Synthetic. Tried a more expensive brand but still uses 2 L in 100 km & 10 mpg in my 2002 F550 with 126,000km. Disconnected the wire from the EBPV solenoid, to reduce sooting. Did a compression test. Lowest was 200 psi & highest was 320. There is some oil drops coming out the CCV hose, but with the boost pressure I can't see the pistons sucking oil into the cylinders. So I'm thinking there are some injectors leaking oil internally, causing the oil consumption. Not worth changing the injectors until I get the rings unstuck. What caused the rings to stick? Soot caused by the EBPV, or the increased chamfer on the piston rings 99-2003? We've got a 97 that runs like a top but this 2002 should have stayed on the drawing board. Comment about engine oil getting back to the fuel filter. I can't see it happening. The fuel filter bypasses excess fuel back the tank, but once the fuel gets to the fuel rails in the heads it can only go to the injectors & cylinders. There's no return from the heads.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
200 to 320 PSI? I'm sorry... that motor is done. Any work to the outside of the motor at this point is likely just practice now. At 300K miles, my weakest cylinder is 365 PSI.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:53 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hamcobee
I've tried it all except new injectors & replacing the rings. Disconected the CCV hose from the filter intake, & ran the hose down the frame to behind the cab. Replaced the Injector outer o-rings, & turbo. New o-rings helped the smoking problem, but the turbo was a waste of money. Oil consumption got worse after I changed oil to 0W40 Synthetic. Tried a more expensive brand but still uses 2 L in 100 km & 10 mpg in my 2002 F550 with 126,000km. Disconnected the wire from the EBPV solenoid, to reduce sooting. Did a compression test. Lowest was 200 psi & highest was 320. There is some oil drops coming out the CCV hose, but with the boost pressure I can't see the pistons sucking oil into the cylinders. So I'm thinking there are some injectors leaking oil internally, causing the oil consumption. Not worth changing the injectors until I get the rings unstuck. What caused the rings to stick? Soot caused by the EBPV, or the increased chamfer on the piston rings 99-2003? We've got a 97 that runs like a top but this 2002 should have stayed on the drawing board. Comment about engine oil getting back to the fuel filter. I can't see it happening. The fuel filter bypasses excess fuel back the tank, but once the fuel gets to the fuel rails in the heads it can only go to the injectors & cylinders. There's no return from the heads.
Since you have revived an old post: Is there blow by and if so, how much? Were the injectors torqued properly when the o-rings were replaced? What was the condition of the cups? Do you have a scan tool?

Old 04-26-2015, 11:30 AM
hamcobee
New User
What scanner would you recommend, Rotunda?. Cups just looked at but don't know how to "inspect" them. How can I tell if somebody changed the odometer?

Quick Reply: Bad Injector O Rings cause blow by and oil consumption?