6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Watching my MPG's with happy curiousity!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watching my MPG's with happy curiousity!

This is my first full season owning my 6.0L. It was hard not to notice my fuel economy dropping off since the fall. I believe that is partly attributed to winter blends of diesel fuel, driving habits etc. Around November my MPG Lie-o-meter went as low as 14.4 MPG. Over the last week I have watched it steadily climb. I am at now 15 MPG. I believe it is still climbing.

The only thing that I have done differently is (with the exception of last fill up) to add STP Diesel Fuel Injector cleaner. I am topping the tank off each time, going to the same gas station etc. I believe it is too early for the winter blends of fuel to be off the market, especially here in New Hampshire

I am also saving receipts, keeping track of mileage etc to do calculations by hand to see if this is just the Lie-O-Meter or if I a seeing improved MPG. I have several friends that have different year models of the 6.0 and our mileage is all over the map. Neil has a 06 that by hand calculation gets him about 20.5 mpg, Tom with a 05 is getting in the neighborhood of 13. Neil has consistantly used Lucas Additives, Tom uses just Power Service. I used Lucas for a while (at Neil's recommendation) and then after seeing a lot of discussion about the actual benefits of it, stopped using it about 6 months ago.

I have seen a few threads in regard to mileage and what people are doing, aren't doing, driving habits, additives etc. I don't think that I have seen any magical combination to maximize fuel economy. I do know that good data comes from doing the same thing the same way all the time and keeping track.

Just for information purposes. There is 2 miles between my house and the highway. I keep the truck under 2K rpm and at or under 30 MPH. Once I get to the on ramp for the highway I am at temp or very close to it. I usually am doing (right-wrong-or indifferent) 80MPH on the highway for about 15 miles. I do not usually "Gun it" but rather use a steady acceleration showing about 2.5K RPM. Then it is off the highway, back to under 2K and approximately 30MPH. I have the same trip in reverse.

Next week, after I fill up, I am going to change things up a bit to experiment. All will be same - same with the exception of the highway. I will bump down to 75mph and maintain that speed through I think 2 or three fill ups and compare the results and savings through hand calculation. Increase in MPG won't be a surprise. Aerodynamics alone at speed has plenty effect.

So just having a little fun with all of this. If some have you have done this sort of thing (I am sure there are more than a few of you) please chime in I'd like to hear what you have found.

Eric

Last edited by egregg57; 02-22-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: get rid of coding
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I have seen on other forums I have been on the greatest gains typically come from

1. Driving habits
2. Replacing the mechanical fan with an electric (no need to power the fan going down the road...)
3. underdrive pulleys (some vehicles need to watch voltage at idle after this)
4. Intake, exhaust some don't see improvements until it is custom tuned with this
5. bump up the tire pressure
6. Lot of people claim switching to synthetics will gain you some

Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,129 Likes on 1,025 Posts
You will notice a BIG gain by keeping RPM's at or below 2K on the hiway.