Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Trans. 96 explorer

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 PM
desilJim
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans. 96 explorer

I am in need of a low mileage trans. for my 96 explorer. I know so is every other explorer owner but I thaought I would ask. I am in Nicholas County WV and would be willing to travel to get it if good tranny and within a few hundred miles.
I have reverse but no others. It had started slipping every now and then, I went out one morning to get gas pumped and when I went to pull out it would not go.

Thankx

Desiljim

Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 AM
SEAL1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something you might want to check first. The valve body bolts came loose on mine and caused the very symptoms you are experiencing.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll say it again, I do not recommend trans swaps. I have found it to almost always be more economical and reliable to rebuild the old transmission. Off the shelf rebuilds and low mileage swaps always have parts that a wearing out. The factory transmission is built to be good enough to clear the warranty period by a good margin, which is between 3 - 5 years. The trans will last about double that if it never gets any maintenance and is never worked hard, sometimes more but that has a lot to do with luck at that point. If you tow, expect that life to drop. The original transmission is designed to slip on every shift to make the shifts less noticeable.

Off the shelf rebuilds are mystery box rebuilds on a budget. You have no idea what was originally wrong with it, what was fixed, or how long it will last.

I have always had my transmissions rebuilt by a knowledgeable shop, and in the process, they install upgraded parts, which makes it better than a new one from Ford. They only replace what they need to, they know the tricks to get the best results, and they stand behind it. My last rebuilt had a 5 year/80,000 mile warranty.