1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F-1 tech.....making a headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Excellent thread tinman, you have given me the confidence to go ahead with my headliner just like you have described wonderfully for us. Your head liner looks great. I found this thread again on google, I was googlin' headliners for classic trucks and low and behold. I remeber following along before but I wasn't ready at that time.Thanks,
Mervy49

Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Subscribing...

Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Sparky2531
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tinman, I'm still along way from this part of my project, but you've shown me it's possible to do it myself.
Subscribing so I don't lose this

Old 09-27-2012, 02:48 PM
atch
Tuned
Received 182 Likes on 100 Posts
so far; so good. yours all look great. now if i can just get the motivation to try this method on a panel truck...

Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atch
so far; so good. yours all look great. now if i can just get the motivation to try this method on a panel truck...
And a whole buncha hands. Maybe have a headliner BBQ, invite all yer friends...
I also think I may have the ability to make headliner for my fridge now.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:54 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Best Step Primary-Color 2 ft. Square Interlocking Foam Mats (4-Pack)-BS622-4HDT at The Home Depot
Anybody try this stuff? The price is cheap and 2' square pieces are easy enough to handle. I may try this for the floor as well. I'm not after pretty, just quiet and durable.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:29 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by vntgtrk
Best Step Primary-Color 2 ft. Square Interlocking Foam Mats (4-Pack)-BS622-4HDT at The Home Depot
Anybody try this stuff? The price is cheap and 2' square pieces are easy enough to handle. I may try this for the floor as well. I'm not after pretty, just quiet and durable.
I use those for a lot of things around my shop, they are very handy and last a long time.
They do not absorb water or oil, clean easily, hose them off or give a scrub with dish detergent, water with a car washing type scrub brush. Shake off the water, swipe with a dry rag and they are as good as new. I cut one in 1/2 to make two kneeling pads (or stack for one thick one) I use them to lay on when working under a vehicle (lock a couple together to make whatever size/shape mat you want). Works especially well if you must work on dirt or gravel, they will stay together while you work but pull apart for storage or to reconfigure. I also put one or two on the floor where I need to stand for a while.
I also cut them up to make flexible sanding pads. They can be laminated with contact cement and the stack easily shaped with a coarse sanding disk.
AFA using on your truck floor, realize they are about 1/2" thick and fairly stiff like thick flip flop soles, they will not conform to the floor shape.
BTW I buy mine at Sam's club in packs of 6.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:24 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Ax, thanks. I've seen numerous sites with similar tiles, some even have a carpeted top. One advantage of the Fridge floor is it's somewhat flat. I requested some samples and I'll lay 'em in the sun to see if they will conform to the minimal humps present. Or maybe the aforementioned steam?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:20 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I can tell you for a fact that full summer sun when 104* outside here in NC won't make them even limp, nor will steam. You can buy thinner and softer foam material in the sporting goods dept at your local wally-world sold as exercise mats or backpacking mattresses.

consolidated foam carpet pad is also available in different thickness and cushioning at any carpet store. It is super inexpensive and if you ask a carpet installer they will likely give you their cutoffs since they often have to pay to dispose of them at the landfill. (or check the dumpsters behind the carpet stores ) If you use carpet pad, put some sheet plastic between it and the metal floor since it is not waterproof. House wrap seam tape works well to tape plastic sheet and/or the padding in place, it is very sticky and does not deteriorate with age like other tapes.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Recently at a local upholstery shop, they did a '51 Ford pu headliner by gluing thick (2"?) foam to the inside of the cab then gluing the fabric directly to the foam. It was done in sections similar to mine, but no hard panels were used.
It turned out pretty nice, but I have to wonder how long it will hold up......foam seems to break down over time.

Sorry, I don't have any pics.

Nice to see this thread is still alive, keep the tips and ideas coming!

Old 05-12-2013, 12:08 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by tinman52
Recently at a local upholstery shop, they did a '51 Ford pu headliner by gluing thick (2"?) foam to the inside of the cab then gluing the fabric directly to the foam. It was done in sections similar to mine, but no hard panels were used.
It turned out pretty nice, but I have to wonder how long it will hold up......foam seems to break down over time.

Sorry, I don't have any pics.

Nice to see this thread is still alive, keep the tips and ideas coming!
There are different types of foam and you make a very good point. Headliners especially because of their propensity to get hot. Sun blaring down on 'em and all.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:01 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Reverse progress

I had started my headliner last fall, had the centre portion all formed in, so went to tackle it this weekend. Put too much pressure on it without heat and snapped it, so back to square one!

I'm use the PVC 1/8" material which is fine a long as you apply heat to keep it pliable. Looked at some alternate materials yesterday but like the PVC because of its resistance to moisture.

Tom

Old 05-12-2013, 08:42 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by tip49
I had started my headliner last fall, had the centre portion all formed in, so went to tackle it this weekend. Put too much pressure on it without heat and snapped it, so back to square one!

I'm use the PVC 1/8" material which is fine a long as you apply heat to keep it pliable. Looked at some alternate materials yesterday but like the PVC because of its resistance to moisture.

Tom
where did you get it?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Holehawgg
Senior User
I'm subscribing. I read this thread last year and then I lost it. I was quite happy to see it show up again. And Scott, if I can ever make it back out to your place I wouldn't mind having a closer look at that headliner. Never thought of it last time.
Remi

Old 07-11-2013, 12:47 PM
BlackCrow
New User
great thread...subscribing for sure

Quick Reply: F-1 tech.....making a headliner