Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Has anybody ever had..

Old 02-19-2011, 05:02 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
hellfirejim is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anybody ever had..

an after market reproduction part that actually fit? I have over an hour just getting after aftermarket lenses, gaskets and covers to fit right on my park lite housings. I figured I had it made with new original housings and that the lenses and such would just bolt up..... But noooooo. I had to cut the gasket to get it sit right and get different screws so it would all fit. I got it done but easily an hours worth of work....

I am happy to say it is done and just waiting for the paint to dry.

So what are your experiences or is it just me?
jim

Old 02-19-2011, 05:35 PM
mechmagcn
Diesel Junky
mechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to all
If you think that is bad, try some of the repop sheet metal

Old 02-19-2011, 08:05 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
I had the same problem with mine (52), I got new bezels, lenses, and gaskets. They were really a poor fit with each other and the housing. Finally got them to work after a lot of cussing. Most all of this junk is made in china and it SUCKS. I try to re-use the original stuff as much as possible. I have been saving extra parts for many years....

As for sheet metal patch panels, I have found it easier in most cases to make them from scratch....but then that is my profession any way.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
I bought a radiator for the 60' from US radiator, it was really close to original. Had to file one of the mounting holes but very little. I will say that is not the norm with repo.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 PM
transam525
Senior User
transam525 is starting off with a positive reputation.
After beginning the restoration of my second vehicle, I now use reproduction parts as a last resort. I've had some reproduction parts fit well, and others with such a terrible fit and finish I sent them back. Reproduction parts made from the original vehicle manufacturer's tooling seem to fit best. With Fords, I found NOS parts to be in great abundance, often costing less than the reproductions, and guaranteed to fit.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 PM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the club !!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
repoduction parts are parts that you need to cut, drill, weld, push, pull, bondo and lots of cursing parts!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Reproduction parts and fit are two, mutually exclusive words. They don't fit into the same sentence any more then they fit on the vehicle they were intended. It's always amazed me, because it takes the same exact trouble to make them not fit as it does to make them to fit.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 AM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant future
My reproduction gas cap fits. That's about it.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker View Post
My reproduction gas cap fits. That's about it.
Mine didn't. They sent the wrong one. So there is that as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.