6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Disappearing antifreeze in 6.0L diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

Guys don’t take advice well!
Obviously, this one went off the trail already. Some of those original posters don't even own a 6.0 anymore, or perhaps even alive lol

Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 AM
bubbabaird
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Visurveyor
? What do you look for if all is good.
What advice r u talkin about?

Old 09-30-2020, 05:31 PM
The Weather Nutz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I call B.S.

Originally Posted by broncoformudv
Well if your truck is not leaking the antifreeze it is going out your exhaust and being turned to steam which is why it is not pouring or dripping out your tail pipe.

I can not believe you are even considering driving a vehicle to the store that has severely overheated and used 2 gallons of coolant.

You two need to purchase a blown head gasket detection kit at your local parts store and read the instructions on how to use it then use it.

fishwitch you also need to check your egr cooler to see if it failed.

Before asking how to do all of this do a search on here and all of your questions will be answered.

You two do realize that these are internal combustion engines and that if there is not an external coolant leak then the only two places for the coolant to go are your oil pan and out your exhaust right? Its not like there is a coolant fairy that comes by at night and siphons out your coolant.

No I was not born knowing everything about automobiles and engines and I still hardly know anything but I sure as heck knew how to read and wasn't afraid to pick up a book or two and look things up when I had an issue.
Coolant fairies are real and only come out at night. I've been caught a few times dabbling in coolant siphoning to stockpile hoards in my lair. Be wary, very wary of the coolant fairy.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:31 AM
Avius
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by broncoformudv
Well if your truck is not leaking the antifreeze it is going out your exhaust and being turned to steam which is why it is not pouring or dripping out your tail pipe.

I can not believe you are even considering driving a vehicle to the store that has severely overheated and used 2 gallons of coolant.

You two need to purchase a blown head gasket detection kit at your local parts store and read the instructions on how to use it then use it.

fishwitch you also need to check your egr cooler to see if it failed.

Before asking how to do all of this do a search on here and all of your questions will be answered.

You two do realize that these are internal combustion engines and that if there is not an external coolant leak then the only two places for the coolant to go are your oil pan and out your exhaust right? Its not like there is a coolant fairy that comes by at night and siphons out your coolant.

No I was not born knowing everything about automobiles and engines and I still hardly know anything but I sure as heck knew how to read and wasn't afraid to pick up a book or two and look things up when I had an issue.
For someone giving advice about something like this, my advice is, don’t. You really don’t have enough knowledge to be giving advice. Your level of knowledge is “dangerous”. You know much more than the average joe, but as they say don’t quit your day job. 2 gallons over a 6 week period is a minor, sorry, EXTREMELY minor leak. I lose about a gallon and a half a day. And as long as I keep filling the coolant, no harm whatsoever is happening to the internal combustion engine in my diesel. I could drive it like this from LA to Miami on the 4th of July, and I’ll be just fine.
btw diesels are very resilient. Just don’t let it overheat and they’ll run for a million miles. Also you still didn’t mention what his problem most likely is. The reason I know is because I have the same problem. 2 gallons in 6 weeks can only be found by looking under the egr cooler. It is leaking. The well that it leaks into can hold over a gallon without dripping to the ground. The egr cooler needs to be replaced, and while your at it, you need to replace the oil cooler too. That’s your proble, now go fix it. Or pay someone to fix it, or fill your reserve tank every morning till it gets worse. Lots of choices.

The following users liked this post: