1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

66 Drum to Disc swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:41 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
66 Drum to Disc swap

I read a few different write ups on this swap and have some concerns after one of them.
f100discs

This site mentions that the springs are different height, the pivot arm was not same and much more. Anyone have similar issues who has done this swap ?

Please chime in with input.
TIA Bobby

Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Bobby, You know that I am a big believer in the buy the donor truck total swap. I pulled my donor up to where I could park both truck side by side. I dropped the complete I-Beam set drug it under my 66 & bolted it up. When you do the total package everything works, you don't get mis match b-s. Every time I read about issues is when a guy gets parts from here & there. You can raise the front to check for king pin wear before starting.

I have read 6cyl vr V8 spring differences, but don't think there are any. Mark the coils, if you find any difference swap them back.

You know enough about these trucks to handle about anything that could come up.

John

Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have done both my trucks, I only replaced from the spindles out and machined down the top of the tierod end boss so the castle nut would tighten down far enough for the cotter pin to fit. John can replace his front end stuff with unknown parts if he wants and advise people to do the same, but... there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Bill W
I have done both my trucks, I only replaced from the spindles out and machined down the top of the tierod end boss so the castle nut would tighten down far enough for the cotter pin to fit. John can replace his front end stuff with unknown parts if he wants and advise people to do the same, but... there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Bill your skill level is above average, but I promise you after reading these forums nearly every day going on 14 years, every time something doesn't fit, it is a piece meal job that you advocate.

The complete swap can be done faster most times. You stick to what you think is best for you, when you are skinnin yo kitty.

John

Old 02-19-2011, 12:14 PM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the way to go John, I agree 100%. I'll be doing it that way when the time comes...

Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CropDusterMan
Sounds like the way to go John, I agree 100%. I'll be doing it that way when the time comes...
Just where are you going to find perfect beams that are all to specification? In the wrecking yard? good luck as you have zero clue if the truck was wrecked, or just what was done to it by Billy Bob before being dropped at the salvage yard. And once you have it all back together and its fracked you have to pull it all apart and put your old beams back on. And Still have to do the spindles and king bolts.

Those are lessons learned and never forgotten.

I fail to see how removal of an entire suspension and replacement is faster or easier than dropping out a king pin the bushings reamed, and a bit of grinding on the steering arms. There is zero reason to change the existing beams if they are in line. What you would put back is not necessarily better. Even if you replace the entire assembly it is common sense to redo the kingpins.

Garbz

Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

David, I have never been concerned about perfect, I never had a perfect truck to use them in. With Bill tag teaming with you yall can trim 3 days off a swap.

All that I know is from the ones that I have done or the ones that I helped with, those concerns never came up, can they absolutely.

I have never advocated anyone go to a junkyard to buy wrecked parts or bent up parts that you seem to base your argument on.

best

John

Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You raise a real good point Dave...sounds like you've "been there, done that".I guess it would be best to try and
find a donor vehicle privately, perhaps one that's a rust bucket, beyond fiscal sense to revamp, that still drives half
decent, where you could test things out. Sure, one could have a good experience with a wreck I suppose, but I see a
lot of sense in your logic. I think regardless, king pins would need to be redone.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Two ways to do it, neither is wrong. Choose the one that makes the most sense for yourself, your abilities, and the quality of the donor.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 240 Likes on 185 Posts
Have done both ways,,,, first when I was a Jarhead and steering sector broke,, truck ended up in the ditch,, idiot wrecker driver hooked onto I beams to drag it out,,, I made them (towing company) give me a donor truck, I swapped drum to drum from a 71 or 2 due to not knowing at the time I coulda done discs,, was a saturday morning job and done,,,
Back in 92 or so I did the same thing with a 74 F100 donor for my next 66 to disc,,
Then in 98 or 99 I pieced it together,,,, both times before I had the place to do the donor swap,,,, then, when I had a house in a fancy smancy neighborhood with CC&R I could not, therefore,,, the piece-a-part deal,,,, BOTH donors were driving trucks,,,, the interiors were just shot,,, doing the whole she-bang,,, truck to truck, is pretty much a no-brainer, easier for the beginner most definately,,, doing the part by part,,, you just adapt as you go,,, grinding,,, doing king-pins in the process,,, and mind you,, I did ALL of this,, BEFORE I had internet OR FTE!!! So a little work-out in the BHG (brain housing group) and it can be done either way,,, I did not find EITHER way really that difficult, and I think if you are drivin one of these old pigs and are considerin it,,, ya got to have some more extra gray matter than the average bear workin for ya in the first place!!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Big Daddy T
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think either way would be acceptable. I chose to replace from the spindles out and rebush the I beams while I had it apart. I also upgraded to power steering and the spindles tie rod and drag link were fom a 76. no grinding needed. Took a good alignment to get the camber right, I wouldnt suggest letting just any tom dick or harry do it either. However there are still a lot of guys around that can bend the beams correctly and they can make it look easy. I only chose this way cuz I was installing new bushings, springs and king pins.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Well i think either way is just fine. we went to the yard solely for a swall web 9 inch for the 64 Comet. Turned out it was attached to a 75 F100 with 302 sporting all the disc swap parts and no damage to vehicle. It was easier in the yard for the tools we took along to just pull the whole thing so thats what we did. Damn glad too, because Sat morning 35 min pounding a king pin from the donor made my mind up for me. Screw it, swap the whole damn thing and see. The drum stuff would have to come out to carry down to a shop if planning a spindle only anyhow. Turns out it all went right in, even though the shape of the drag link/tie rods weren't the same, and the springs .625" taller. Figure if the springs are an issue they will be easily removed/swapped and i'll just get new as the 66' ones are pretty tired. One man job sucked but it's all done but the plumbing and bleeding at this point. As to the pivot arm bushings I used a vice and a small section of shallow C channel(old boat trailer riser scrap) and piece of bar stock (on pushing side). When right in with some PB blaster on'm. Left my old brake line mounts in place and tacked the new stuff up so it could be reversed should that ever be a plan. I take the the unequal pressure light is useless in this setup. Cant you just put the old brake light unit in there instead ? Well we'll see how it all turned out sometime next week. Hopefully the alignment scenario will go ok.

Thanks all.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
A+ Bob! looks great.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Looks great Bobby, be careful jacking off those deco bricks, that can break & crumble easily. The wood should be OK. Don't know if one of your pups could get you out if something happened.

John

Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 240 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Redmanbob
Well i think either way is just fine. we went to the yard solely for a swall web 9 inch for the 64 Comet. Turned out it was attached to a 75 F100 with 302 sporting all the disc swap parts and no damage to vehicle.
I Love that!!! Honest Honey,,,, it was attached to it,, I HAD to get the whole truck!!!
Great job!!

Quick Reply: 66 Drum to Disc swap