1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Bio diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bio diesel

You guys in Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston and all over the midwest need to try this stuff. I know you all have bio stations all over your area. We only have one and it's new.
I worked on these trucks at the dealer when they first came out and I swear my truck is running just like the day if drove off the lot. It does smell like a burger joint slightly but who cares, not even halfway through my first tank of 50% commercialy made bio it's stronger, quieter, no smoke at all, no shaking, just perfect. If you haven't tried it yet then go do it. The government snuck this ULSD crap in on us slow so we wouldn't notice the difference. Well, now I remember what it was supposed to run like!
My next fill up will be just straight bio. I'm not even gonna tell you what I payed for this fillup. You'll all get mad at me. It's much cheaper than ULSD though at the place I found and these days every penny counts. The place here is making theirs from virgin veggy oil and a little bit of tallow. Nothing recycled. It's still much cheaper than dino and apparently much better! I'm on my third tank full now.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:36 PM
bearhugger
Senior User
Wish i could find a bio station close to me,i live in spring tx,at least my money would stay in the USA.
JIM

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I think I saw a place in Spring. You should search online for it. It might have been one of those Bio Willie truck stops.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Bio is great. Outstanding lubricity, different combustion characteristics that just make the engine sound smoother, and overall a generally good experience.

Just keep in mind that pure bio has fewer BTU's per gallon than old fashioned #2, so the closer you get to B100, the more your mpg's will suffer. You'll also lose a bit of power due to the lower energy content. We're not talking really big differences in the numbers, but a drop in mpg's should be expected if you go B99.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
its so hard to come by biodiesel in southeastern michigan. I have to drive an hour to get to a pump that has B20. I talked to a guy from a local oil company today who wants $4.55 a gallon for B100 delivered in bulk not including all applicable sales and highway taxes. with a 150 gallon minimum order... I just dont think I can pay that and feel good about it. I dont have storage for bulk amounts at the moment. but I did locate an old 275 gallon heating oil tank today for $50. that was before I found out how much I would have to pay for biodiesel

Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I thought bio had higher btu's than regular dino? I don't think you can find straight bio up here but %20 is pretty common. It's more expensive than dino though... even when the plant is only 20 mile away.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I'd like to try some sometime but it's not readily available around here in small town SD. I live at least 25 miles from any city and don't recall seeing it anywhere for that matter.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
That's pretty screwed up. I know it's not even taxed in Texas. I didn't think there were any federal highway taxes on it anywhere either. You guys should check into that. The law down here says mixes at gas stations can only tax the portion that is ULDS and I called a couple places on it. The producers did lose the federal dollar per gallon subsidy on it but the only time it should be costing more than ulsd is if they are just crooks. The plant nearest me that went out of business was telling people 10 bucks a gallon back when diesel hit 5. That is just not cool.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:09 AM
stubborn66
Junior User
There is a local guy who is making it here and with using waste veggie oil it is costing him just over $1.00 to make. He is telling me that you cannot use a regular old oil tank to store it, it will rust it out on the inside. You need plastic, aluminum, or stainless steel storage tanks.

He also said in PA if he gets registered and pays the highway taxes on each gallon he makes, in return he can receive tax credits. He said if his volume was bigger it would be a winner but it is not worth the paperwork yet.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 AM
MTEPERA
Freshman User
I think my truck runs better on it as well, i buy when i can @ biowillys, i think it is B20 to B85. I seen info on here about how it acts as a solvent. it definently disolved the 13 years of gunk in my tank and fuel lines. Luckily it was time to change fuel filter after about 500 miles of first fill up of Bio. When i pulled the filter, i could not belive how much black gunk was on it. Never looked anything like this before. if using it for the first time, i would check or replace fuel filter after first 250 to 500 miles.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken_C
its so hard to come by biodiesel in southeastern michigan. I have to drive an hour to get to a pump that has B20. I talked to a guy from a local oil company today who wants $4.55 a gallon for B100 delivered in bulk not including all applicable sales and highway taxes. with a 150 gallon minimum order... I just dont think I can pay that and feel good about it. I dont have storage for bulk amounts at the moment. but I did locate an old 275 gallon heating oil tank today for $50. that was before I found out how much I would have to pay for biodiesel
Ken, where are you at? I know of a few down there.

Originally Posted by FARM69
I thought bio had higher btu's than regular dino? I don't think you can find straight bio up here but %20 is pretty common. It's more expensive than dino though... even when the plant is only 20 mile away.
I believe you are thinking of Ethanol, the stuff for gassers, It runs hotter with a bit less efficiency.

Originally Posted by RRranch
That's pretty screwed up. I know it's not even taxed in Texas. I didn't think there were any federal highway taxes on it anywhere either. You guys should check into that. The law down here says mixes at gas stations can only tax the portion that is ULDS and I called a couple places on it. The producers did lose the federal dollar per gallon subsidy on it but the only time it should be costing more than ulsd is if they are just crooks. The plant nearest me that went out of business was telling people 10 bucks a gallon back when diesel hit 5. That is just not cool.
Lots of people getting the govt after them cause they are not paying "road taxes"
But then, the road taxes are far to high for the quality of work they do to the roads.
At least here in michigan.

Originally Posted by stubborn66
There is a local guy who is making it here and with using waste veggie oil it is costing him just over $1.00 to make. He is telling me that you cannot use a regular old oil tank to store it, it will rust it out on the inside. You need plastic, aluminum, or stainless steel storage tanks.

He also said in PA if he gets registered and pays the highway taxes on each gallon he makes, in return he can receive tax credits. He said if his volume was bigger it would be a winner but it is not worth the paperwork yet.
600 Gallons I think is where they usually get pissed off.
But yes, you are correct about the tank stuff.
Plastic is okay for storage, but not for making.
Can have a melt down, you are using LYE while making it.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:24 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
It's not gonna rust out my farm tank is it? It's 100 gallon steel tank.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Ken_C
Elder User
William, Im near metro airport. the closest place (that I know of) is in manchester. the place out on will carelton rd doesnt have bio the last few times i checked. the place in manchester has it winterized and blended b20. I run it when ever I can get out there to buy some. otherwise its ULSD with some power service added to it. I have seen lists on line here and there that show all kinds of places that have bio but when I call and check I find out that "oh that was years ago we dont have any of that anymore"
thats good to know about storing biodiesel. so if you have a steel fuel tanks on your truck youre just waiting to rot the tanks then i guess?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Ken_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by FARM69
actually biodiesel has fewer btus than ulsd

Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
If your using the tank, no worries, but if your letting it sit, then its bad.

Lots of people use steel drums to settle their bio though.

Quick Reply: Bio diesel