1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

how much rust is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had so much rust in my cab corner that the chicken wire and a 2by4 fell out! Then the bondo went and all I was left with was the rust!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 AM
jotram
Senior User
thanks for the replies guys . I think I will try and save all the rust then weigh it ...My idea is that I want a truck that shines and is done right . My skills are pretty limited though. Im not really a sheet metal guy. So far I did the easy stuff like the frewall cleanup ,few spots here and there, yesterday I opened the front right cowl area .....$#@% Lots of work to do...more than I thought , and this was supposed to be the easy side . I Will post some pictures later and you can all critic my work,maybe give me some pointers!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 AM
jotram
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lakotas53
I had so much rust in my cab corner that the chicken wire and a 2by4 fell out! Then the bondo went and all I was left with was the rust!
THATS TOO FUNNY . I opened my cab corner and all that fell out was an old 5/8 wrench, dirt, 308 bullet , and 55 cents..and of course rust through..

Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
That is exactly why cab corners rust out; stuff like dirt and paper gets down in there, no one ever cleaned them out, and once they get wet, it's just a matter of time.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by jotram
THATS TOO FUNNY . I opened my cab corner and all that fell out was an old 5/8 wrench, dirt, 308 bullet , and 55 cents..and of course rust through..
At least your truck gave you money! My trucks just keep taking it.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 PM
jotram
Senior User
yeah that .55 cent almost baught me some harbor freight sandpaper..I started a facebook page few weeks ago, 55 ford f-100 theres a bunch of pictures. if anyone wants to check it out. I want to get some up on this too but ...I kinda want some new picts

Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
jotram
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
That is exactly why cab corners rust out; stuff like dirt and paper gets down in there, no one ever cleaned them out, and once they get wet, it's just a matter of time.
Anyone have ideas on how to maybe reconstruct these areas so it does'nt happen again you know better ways than manufacturer?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:00 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Jotram,probably the easiest thing to do is keep the area clear of dirt/debris.My 59 has huge,accessible pockets,which I vacuum out when I clean the cab.I actually use them for storage of a tool roll,oil, etc..They are the perfect spot for moisture to collect,as ALBUQ F-1 stated.I thought of even drilling a small hole to drain any moisture,but haven't done so.

Steve

Old 02-19-2011, 02:15 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by kenjh
I was sitting in my 54 ford thinking of this thread ,,and made the mistake of sticking a screwdriver in a rust bubble on the door post dammed if water started running out !!!.. so do I punch a few holes looking for water ,,or wait for it to find it's own way out?? an' your worried about rust....
Be careful. Anywhere you have standing water, the government can declare it wetlands, and bar you from making any improvements or further development.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:19 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Anyone have ideas on how to maybe reconstruct these areas so it does'nt happen again you know better ways than manufacturer?
I agree with Steve. It's not so much that the trucks weren't designed right, but they've suffered from 60 years of deferred maintenance and neglect. Once they're cleaned and repaired properly, they'll last the rest of our lifetime and then some, with proper care.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM
my someday 59
New User
to much rust?

I know if you can put a screw driver thru a body panel it needs work, but how about those deep pits , how much rust is too much? when should you replace or repair it? Will just a wire wheel and some good primer be enough?

Id say if its a show truck....... if its pitted only its fine. Just media blast it or sand blast it then maybe then body work. As long as the metal isn't to thin and a whole appears after blasting it will be fine.

.....now with that being said.....after blasting if pin wholes appear do not just pack it with filler. You will need to put new metal in. A wire wheel is good to get the worst of the canser out but thats not enough. It needs to be blasted to last.

I tell you from experiance. I own my own body shop and have been building cars and trucks for a long time.

good luck mate!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:15 PM
my someday 59
New User
keep it clean and.....

......don't drive it in the rain....lol easier said than done I know. Also when you wash it use spray on cleaner like Final Inspection from McGuires for example.

The less water your truck ever sees the better.

good day mate!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by my someday 59
good luck mate!
Originally Posted by my someday 59
good day mate!

The British are coming!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 PM
my someday 59
New User
brittish? Nah lol

Originally Posted by ibuzzard
The British are coming!!!
I'm not even close to Brittish lol I just like the saying.

besides I thought thats Australian for have a nice day? or how are you perhaps?IDK? Lol

Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I know if you can put a screw driver thru a body panel it needs work, but how about those deep pits , how much rust is too much? when should you replace or repair it? Will just a wire wheel and some good primer be enough?

It really depends on what panel you are talking about. And where the rust is.

It also really depends on what you are building. If it's a show truck then replacing the panel is probably the best bet. If you are building a driver then do this:

If the metal isn't too thin you can clean it up the best you can and then use a rust converter on the panel to keep it from getting any worse. Hit it with a coat of primer and filler to smooth it out.

If it's a floor pan or something similar then a product like POR-15, Rust Bullet, Bill Hirsch Miracle paint, etc. will work and keep it from getting worse.

Quick Reply: how much rust is too much?