6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Trucks Hesitates Going into Regen

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trucks Hesitates Going into Regen

I had this problem a little while back and I posted a thread on here. At the time I was low on fuel so I thought that may have contributed to the problem. This time I had 1/2 tank.

The truck acts like it wants to die for about a mile or so before going into regen. It hesitates and loses all power in short burst. It's like it's not getting fuel. Finally the truck will read "exhaust cleaning" and everything will be perfectly normal.

Anyone have similar trouble? This will be impossible to duplicate for the dealer.

I have noticed that since it has gotten cold that my truck goes into regen very little. It seems like I never see the message anymore.

Truck has around 6000 miles on it.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
I have had this issue one time in roughly 4000 miles. When I took it to the shop for the check engine light I told them I had this issue. They did not find any codes regarding this issue. Question for you - are you using a fuel additive? I was almost wondering if I put in to much anti gel causing this issue?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Originally Posted by TyWebb
I have had this issue one time in roughly 4000 miles. When I took it to the shop for the check engine light I told them I had this issue. They did not find any codes regarding this issue. Question for you - are you using a fuel additive? I was almost wondering if I put in to much anti gel causing this issue?
Yes I am. I use the Motorcraft stuff at 6 +/- OZ per fill. I have the 38 gallon tank.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
22000 miles and I have no idea how many regens...never had this happen.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:54 AM
TyWebb
Senior User
Originally Posted by GCLL
Yes I am. I use the Motorcraft stuff at 6 +/- OZ per fill. I have the 38 gallon tank.
I have not used any anti gel since this "stutter" occurred and it has not happened again. I have no idea if this is the issue or not but find it interesting we both had this happen and both use/used the anti gel product.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Since you are dealing with a computer controlled truck right it seems to me that your programming is having an issue.

If you look at it in that light it makes sense. At least to me.

I would see if they could reflash it for you and see if that smooths it out.

Based upon the driveability concerns I'd ask for a reflash.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 AM
TyWebb
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Since you are dealing with a computer controlled truck right it seems to me that your programming is having an issue.

If you look at it in that light it makes sense. At least to me.

I would see if they could reflash it for you and see if that smooths it out.

Based upon the driveability concerns I'd ask for a reflash.
Scott,

Wouldn't you think if it was a computer issue it would happen before each regen and they could potentially see a code? Not questioning your thought process but really baffled by this one! I suppose it could be an intermittent computer issue but usually when my crap breaks it breaks for good

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I really don't know Rusty. I just think of it as a computer that sometimes does not load correctly. What do you? Reboot.

Just throwing it out there.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 AM
GCLL
Senior User
I'm not interested in the power gains, but it sure would be nice to tune this truck and get rid of this emissions crap. It's almost begging me to take it off

Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by GCLL
I'm not interested in the power gains, but it sure would be nice to tune this truck and get rid of this emissions crap. It's almost begging me to take it off
For what then?

Originally Posted by pbruckne
I should also point out that these systems (emission control systems) are nothing like those of the past. Performance characteristics of the vehicle are almost negligible. You can't make 400hp and 800lbft without very finite control of these components over the useful life of the vehicle. There are those that will says, "get rid of the crap", and years ago, I would have agreed, but in this day an age, there's so much technology that assures vehicle performance that is has become a mute point. You end up with the best of both worlds, performance, clean engine technology, improved fuel economy.

-Paul

Do you think you can improve efficiency? Heck, these things are already more efficient than the 7.3L engine that had much less emissions restrictions when it was produced.

These sure are proving to be reliable, but what fuel savings do you think makes it worth scrapping the warranty on a ~$15,000 engine?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:43 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
I really don't know Rusty. I just think of it as a computer that sometimes does not load correctly. What do you? Reboot.

Just throwing it out there.
It's an interesting concept, but that does not apply to the computers in our trucks. You can't take a method used to resolve problems with Windows (the most problematic and unstable widely distributed operating system in history... by several orders of magnitude) and apply it to "computers" as a whole.

Also, a re-flash is nothing like a re-boot. If you want to re-boot the computers in your truck, unplug the batteries for a while, then hook them back up. Not that I'm recommending this in the least... but that's how it would be done. A re-flash replaces the code entirely. Except in very rare cases, once a flash is applied, it can never be altered accidentally. If it can never be altered accidentally, then re-flashing has zero effect.

It's possible that a piece of the computer's hardware could malfunction, in which case it might need to be replaced. It's even more likely that one of the multitude of sensors that the computer relies on is malfunctioning. Either way, it's a hardware replacement, not a software one.

I'm not trying to be harsh by any means. I just want to squash this idea before lots of people start going to their dealers, asking for reflashes... then posting up flames about how Ford refused to re-flash and must be working with the devil. I joke, but we all know how these things can spiral out of control

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM
GCLL
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
For what then?

Do you think you can improve efficiency? Heck, these things are already more efficient than the 7.3L engine that had much less emissions restrictions when it was produced.

These sure are proving to be reliable, but what fuel savings do you think makes it worth scrapping the warranty on a ~$15,000 engine?
Well my number one reason for wanting it gone is that it is already giving me trouble. Whatever the problem is, it's related to the regen process.

Getting rid of the DPF and DEF would simplify things. Simple is better, less things to break, less down time.

I have heard that a DPF costs thousands to replace should it get clogged/damaged etc. There is no way in hell I would ever pay to replace it once it's out of warranty. there is no way that the heat built up during the regen process is good for anything on these trucks.

I can understand the argument that these engines are efficient as is, but it sure seems that the engine would work a whole lot more efficiently if it wasn't being forced to breath through a filter.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
It's an interesting concept, but that does not apply to the computers in our trucks. You can't take a method used to resolve problems with Windows (the most problematic and unstable widely distributed operating system in history... by several orders of magnitude) and apply it to "computers" as a whole.

Also, a re-flash is nothing like a re-boot. If you want to re-boot the computers in your truck, unplug the batteries for a while, then hook them back up. Not that I'm recommending this in the least... but that's how it would be done. A re-flash replaces the code entirely. Except in very rare cases, once a flash is applied, it can never be altered accidentally. If it can never be altered accidentally, then re-flashing has zero effect.

It's possible that a piece of the computer's hardware could malfunction, in which case it might need to be replaced. It's even more likely that one of the multitude of sensors that the computer relies on is malfunctioning. Either way, it's a hardware replacement, not a software one.

I'm not trying to be harsh by any means. I just want to squash this idea before lots of people start going to their dealers, asking for reflashes... then posting up flames about how Ford refused to re-flash and must be working with the devil. I joke, but we all know how these things can spiral out of control
Certainly understand.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Instead of using antigel, try using Motorcraft cetane boost:

Bet you the problem goes away.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Instead of using antigel, try using Motorcraft cetane boost:

Bet you the problem goes away.
That's what I was using last fall before it got cold. I was planning on switching back to it in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Trucks Hesitates Going into Regen