Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why did my motor blow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Clay at RiffRaff has OEM BABY forged rod rebuilds.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/me...=F731-TRANS-FE

Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanN
GOTTA be them PMR's! DANG I love me e99!
It's NOT the PMRs.

EDIT: *IF* he even had them.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I hate reading about these things, it makes me nervous as poop and I think about taking off the tuner and going back to stock injectors.
I wish it were true the forged rods never blew. I think someone might have a bit too much faith.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JonathanN
Being an '01, you might have the infamous powdered metal connecting rods that the '01's and up came with. The earlier 7.3L's had forged rods and were basically bomb-proof from what I've read. It seems to be a hit and miss deal with them... some stock motors blow and some ere running 500HP and have yet to die. When and IF you take it apart, it'd be interesting to see if you've got some broken connecting rods.
They are NOT bomb proof by any means. There were several on here running less HP than me on forged rods with scrap metal blocks now.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
They are NOT bomb proof by any means. There were several on here running less HP than me on forged rods with scrap metal blocks now.
But he read it on the internet....
It MUST be true.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is just bad. i dont like to see a good truck die.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
But he read it on the internet....
It MUST be true.
Very funny... y'all take me wrong!

Guys, I don't think that PMR's are the only problem. PMR's, IF the OP's are PMR's, just aggravate the problem. I'm sure if anybody tried hard enough, they could break anything! I'm just saying that if he had PMR's, it would explain his mess pretty well. As for the forged rods breaking, I'd have wonder about their tuning... from what I can tell, cylinder pressures seem to dictate whether or not the motor lives. I know tuning can determine whether or not PMR's survive... to screw up a forged rod motor, I would think there'd have to be some poor tuning involved. But what do I know? I just go by what I read... then I call up Clay and find out what holds water and what doesn't.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know much either. But I know enough to know that most of that is still all wrong; or at least only half right.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wydnr
Well, my motor blew tonight. The rods got a breath of fresh air via the oil pan.

So I guess I'm looking for a different engine.

I'm kind of confused as to what caused this. I changed the oil regularly at 5,000 mile intervals, used John Deere 15w-40 oil, and always let it warm up before taking off. I did pull some heavy loads (14k trailer included) from time to time. I wasn't easy on it but wasn't abusive either. It had 169,xxx miles on it also, which I didn't think was much.

The only mods I had were air intake, 4 inch exhaust, and a dp tuner.
Just curious:

Did you normally drive around with the +80 tune, and tow with the +40 tune?

When did you install the DP, and did you ever have the tunes updated?

From what it sounds like, Jody updates his tunes regularly. But I've never heard any specifics beyond that, like if it's a set schedule, if he keeps track of what updates are made when, etc.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
FWIW, I start up, drive, idle, etc in my hottest tune. Good or bad, it's been working for me. I guess I should knock on wood now...

Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wydnr
Well, my motor blew tonight. The rods got a breath of fresh air via the oil pan.

So I guess I'm looking for a different engine.

I'm kind of confused as to what caused this. I changed the oil regularly at 5,000 mile intervals, used John Deere 15w-40 oil, and always let it warm up before taking off. I did pull some heavy loads (14k trailer included) from time to time. I wasn't easy on it but wasn't abusive either. It had 169,xxx miles on it also, which I didn't think was much.

The only mods I had were air intake, 4 inch exhaust, and a dp tuner.
Real sorry to hear about your unfortunate luck. Sounds like you took care of your engine as well as the rest of us. Sometimes stuff just happens and we never find out why. From time to time it's possible to tear down the engine and discover the cause of failure but many times it's just speculation really. Did you get your oil sampled by any chance? If so, I would be curious to see the report.

If you decide to tear down the engine, take lots of photos and notes about what you saw and where. I would look at the top side first and see if any part of the valve train is compromised and keep the parts organized by cylinder. Then later on when you get to the bottom end you can look at the valves and pushrods more closely if you suspect something weird.

Same for the injectors, keep them organized in case you discover something weird on the piston tops etc. I'd also be curious about the cooling jets and if any of them are missing. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
Originally Posted by Justin03PSD
Just curious:

From what it sounds like, Jody updates his tunes regularly. But I've never heard any specifics beyond that, like if it's a set schedule, if he keeps track of what updates are made when, etc.
I usually drove around with the 80e setting. Thats what it was on last night. I got the tuner from jody in 2007 and never sent it back. When it let go I was just driving easily home.

I'm not sure if I'm going to put another 7.3 in or fix up the body and do a cummins conversion. Going to do same calculations tonight.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:26 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
Originally Posted by Justin03PSD
Just curious:

I usually drove around with the 80e setting. Thats what it was on last night. I got the tuner from jody in 2007 and never sent it back. When it let go I was just driving easily home. The truck wasn't a high HP machine, stock turbo and injectors nothing too crazy.

I'm not sure if I'm going to put another 7.3 in or fix up the body and do a cummins conversion. Going to do same calculations tonight.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
A Cummins conversion would be sweet! I would take the motor apart first if you can and find out what caused it... if it was because of PMR's, then I'd drop in a built-up 7.3L and be done with it. I've got 303K on mine (forged rods) and I have yet to kill it! My live data checks out great and the only leak is an oozing oil pan seal.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
just curious, what do rebuilt 7.3's go for?

Quick Reply: Why did my motor blow?