1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ok flathead guys .. HELP !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok flathead guys .. HELP !!!!!

simple questions . does anyone know the height of a new oe lifter for an 8ba both the short and long , and how dain tall is the flatattack hollow adjustables { the ones red sells } . i need this info to finalize some number and parts crunching on the valvetrain in my baby to finalize my direction .............. got a link to technical specifications or just know god someone tell me !!!!!! i'm going nuts trying to find it !!!!!!! both sets of my oe's are obviously worn and i have never had my hands on an adjustable so ...................

Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm not of much help other than to tell you to read through this
Technical Ford Flathead valve adjustment - THE H.A.M.B.

and all the info you need is there except maybe for your specific lifters??
lots of links and diagrams etc in the thread as well.

Noticed some of our own have posted some good info there too!

good luck,

Josh

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
cool and thank ya jm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yep seen that one before too .... i kid you not i have been reading for days now trying to make a decision , and getting new info from guys that cause me too go back to the drawing board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:03 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
ok for those of you that want to know i found finally !!!!!!!!! the length of oe lifters . the short ones w/ two oiling holes for 49-51 were 1.730 inches long new . the late ones for use with the multi piece rotating valve assembly i.e the 52-53 arrangement , is 1.750 w / 3 oiling holes in them . according to the ford repair manual i found on line , which did not supply the needed info , if they are worn to 1.710 after regrinding they are junk !!! now to find out how long the adjustables reds sells are ...... but i think i'm going oe's . the numbers answered my questions . mine were worn to 1.718 allowing for unuasually large lash readings whilst i was mocking things up with the 8cm cam in too see if i was going to need new valves , and or adjustables ..........................

Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
mine were worn to 1.718 allowing for unuasually large lash readings whilst i was mocking things up with the 8cm cam in too see if i was going to need new valves , and or adjustables ..........................
Back in the "good old days" if the lash was wide, they would grind the valve deeper into the seat, if the lash was tight, they would file the end of the valve.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM
jonf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the day?

One method told to me by a very old mechanic involved using two ball pein hammers to tighten up a loose valve setting. All done from the top of the valve, one hammer stationary, one hammer not.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
no making the pockets / seats deeper as the girl is still together , and a hammer ??? man i can be brutal but that makes me cringe !!!!!!!!!!! nope i'm gonna be able to make it all work out , get new lifters from van pelts , and if need be a set of summit # sum-v8008-8 { 2 sets actually } sbc stainless pro flow valves and mill 'em and such to make it all fit . .......................

Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by jonf
One method told to me by a very old mechanic involved using two ball pein hammers to tighten up a loose valve setting. All done from the top of the valve, one hammer stationary, one hammer not.
Sounds like a quick way to crack the deck. Grinding the seat is the factory way. The beauty of the system is that on the assembly line (everything new) the clearance came out correct within tolerance with no fooling around.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yeah ross but grinding the seat{s} means having to take it completely apart and i dont want too do that so .....they're { the seats } still good , and an old fella here 'bouts that raced 'em in the day with my grandpa suggested i use a 30 degree seat for the intake and 45 for the exhaust if i was too go that far .......... i got the GOOD no cracks, etc, block that is oe to the 52 . it needs tanked , bored etc , it was burning oil thats why it was pulled . i got it all actually . i figure after the truck is done and running again , that ones the excuse for doing sumpthin' REALLY STUPID and seeing how far the banker and common sense will let me go ............................. oh and thanx too a really good picture of an adjustable isky lifter in the valley next ot something i can measure i'm guessing the adjustables are all around 1.500 inches tall with the adjuster all the way down ............... oh and the fella i'm talking about still has his 29 coupe modified with 276 flatty and hilborn injection etc. and a 180 degree crossfire crank in his possession . man it do sound good , albeit a lil' weird thanx to all 4 on one side firing at the same time ... can't remember who he said supplied the cam for it ............

Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Aw c'mon, pulling the head is s-o-o-o easy... in SOME cases you can even re-use the head gaskets. Although it's a golden opportunity to replace them with fresh new modern gaskets, no surprises down the road from corrosion.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
the heads are off ross . the valvetrain is only mocked up and awaiting me to get figured out which direction i'm going in and get the parts . then just clean the ol' girl up and away we go as she carried plenty 'o' compression , and ran like a champ before !!! so your saying i can do the seats with it sitting as a short block ????? it's sitting in the new frame so it's in the perfect work bench about 3-4 foot up in the air ....................... c'mon spill the beans !!! if it's that easy it'll be one of those while i'm here i might as well deals ......

Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
How far off are your clearances? How many are off? If it's just a couple thou, you can try lapping by hand. A lot of times just cutting thru the buildup on the seat will pick up a couple thou, and lapping can do that. Actual cutting CAN be done but you have to worry about filings, chips, etc getting on the cylinders and in the intake tract. If you're careful...

Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
welp here's how it is . in some cases i have lash readings of.036 ............ between the lifter numbers i needed , and i have to clean some carbon up off the seats and the valves i'm gonna be using , i actually have rough numbers now to work with and they are not that far off . like you said a couple of thou ...... my lifters are between .713 and .718 and they're supposed to be .730 so there's a good chunk of the excess ................ it'll turn out fine and i got plenty of valves { if i can get some of the ones i need out of the guides they are frozen in !!!! } to work with , and bud has a valve grinding machine to mill the tips to length and do the face angle like i'm thinking of per a tech article , and my son in law to the north has two lathes and a whole passle full of equipment , a bridgeport , etc. that i and bud can go play with so it will be done and done right . my valves are all different lentgh's but for the most part are4.818- 4.821 and my rough numbers are right in that range , with final measurements too come after all the bit's and pieces get here , and all the cleaning .................

Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Flat head guys?

I don't know how flat my head is but, how about a bald head?
Hey there Kevin!
thats about all I can do for ya....sorry.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like you got some ambition goin there! I haven't done crap since thanksgiving!...been doin a little research of the efi swap though, I think I am gonna let my hair grow back so I got something to pull out!

Quick Reply: ok flathead guys .. HELP !!!!!