6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is the 6.7 right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Is the 6.7 right for me?

When the 08 6.4 came out with the DPF on it,I said I would never buy another diesel again as long as it has all that emissions crap on it.Well....Thanks to you freakin guy's,I'm tossing around the idea of a 6.7.I'm still scared to death about regens and the DPF,The Urea doesn't bother me too much but still another expense.I really do like my 07 6.0 and try to be as positive as I can about it but....I just don't know if I can keep it out of warranty.(Never had a problem with it)

I'm not really sure how a truck with a DPF would work with my driving habits.I'll give you a little back ground about how I use my truck and tell me If you think it would be fine or am I just setting myself up for DPF problems.

1)8 mile's to work each way.
2)Most of the time running unloaded.
3Would be used as a daily driver(Have beater jeep for short trips)
4)Tow 8,000 LBS acouple times a month.
5)90% city driving.(Not like downtown Chicago driving,More suburban like)
6)Put an average of 12,000 miles a year on my truck.

I know all that screams gasser and I did go and drive a 6.2.It was nice but I think I might go crazy driving a gasser after driving diesels all my life.For a while I was dead set on getting a 6.2 but I just can't let go of the love I have for diesel's.

So what do you guy's think?Do you think a 6.7 would work with those kinda driving habit's?

I have MANY more question's I'll be asking,I'll just make separate threads so it won't be so jumbled together.

Thanks for any advice you can give me,It's much appreciated!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep the 6.0 until the rockers fall off!

If you do a bit of WOT with the tow every month... you have nearly the perfect combo of usage to get you long life (over 1 million miles), and exercising the turbo / fuel injectors etc. to retard rust.

I will give you a standing offer to buy your 6.0 off you at my regular price.

Oh... I have a 6.0 that only have 275,000 miles on it.

Even if you insist on the 6.7... wait for 2012 or better yet, 2013 for the bugs to be completely ironed out.

The cycle to have a new part (re-engineered) in production is at least 2 model years long unless it is a fix or die issue.

I am still hoping the DEF fluid fill be relocated and a new filling system designed for 2013....

Better yet... a DEF less system that uses a variant of the Honda catalyst.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried downsizing to a gas 150 after years of driving diesels. Only lasted 6 months. Sounds like you would be an ideal canidate for the 4.5L diesel they keep rumoring. Me too for that matter, but as I'm sure you are, wouldn't order a 4.5 when theres a 6.7 option regardless of what I so called needed!

I love my 6.7. Smooth, quiet, and powerful. But I sometimes miss that definitive diesel sound/feel of the 6.0L, and even more so the good old 7.3:.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Sportscraft
I tried downsizing to a gas 150 after years of driving diesels. Only lasted 6 months.
And you drive a 450?

Originally Posted by Sportscraft
I love my 6.7. Smooth, quiet, and powerful. But I sometimes miss that definitive diesel sound/feel of the 6.0L, and even more so the good old 7.3:.
I liked the 6.0 I drove a few years back. I guess if you like obnoxious marbles the 7.3 is for you, but the 6.0 had enough of that for me. The 6.4 I had sounded great - enough to know you were driving a diesel but you could still carry on a conversation without any issues. If you never heard a 6.7 run from outside the cab you'd never know it was a diesel.

I would like to see that 4.4L engine, or whatever it is, come out in a 150 too. I wonder if they would ever consider such a thing as a Super Duty F150 and boost it over the regular F150, sort of like the old 1500HD that GMC/Chevy had. I think that was just a re-named 2500 instead of having the 2500 and 2500HD variances - it had 8 lugs.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Keep the 6.0 until the rockers fall off!

If you do a bit of WOT with the tow every month... you have nearly the perfect combo of usage to get you long life (over 1 million miles), and exercising the turbo / fuel injectors etc. to retard rust.

I will give you a standing offer to buy your 6.0 off you at my regular price.

Oh... I have a 6.0 that only have 275,000 miles on it.

Even if you insist on the 6.7... wait for 2012 or better yet, 2013 for the bugs to be completely ironed out.

The cycle to have a new part (re-engineered) in production is at least 2 model years long unless it is a fix or die issue.

I am still hoping the DEF fluid fill be relocated and a new filling system designed for 2013....

Better yet... a DEF less system that uses a variant of the Honda catalyst.
My 6.0 has been very good to me.I do do WOT runs quite a bit to keep everything in proper working order.If I were to buy a 6.7 I wouldn't be buying until late 2012 or early 2013 anyways.Not because I don't have faith in the 6.7,That's just when I'll be ready to buy.Now if I can wait that long....

Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
I completely forgot to mention that were getting a 2011 F-450 at work soon.It will be nice to see how it holds up against our guy's.Ford should have done there testing with us because those guy's can break anything!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me hijack this by saying parking a truck in Chicago is a #%@$

Once you tow with a diesel you will know why you bought one and wonder what took you so long. There is not anything like it.