Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tranny on it's last leg?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
SLUF681
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny on it's last leg?

OK, so I just got finished flushing my tranny and when I dropped the pan it had what I would consider to be quite a bit of "fuzz" on the magnet. No flakes or anything large, just fine particles.

When I bought the truck on halloween last year, the carfax had something like 28 service reports dealing with regular maintenance. I don't remember however if it said anything about the tranny. The service records were from a dealer and were on schedule until the 80K mile mark.

The tranny fluid was dark but didn't smell scorched. I'm thinking that the fluid may not have been changed in the last 80K or so. If I had to guess I would say there was 2 or 3 tablespoons of fuzz. It had an OEM gasket and filter. The only problem I've been having with it is when I shift from park into drive, it didn't slip, it just wouldn't "engage". With the fresh fluid that seems to have gone away.

So my question is... Am I worrying over nothing or am I about to buy a new 4R100 HD?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's normal to have some fuzz on the magnet. Untill it started acting up, I would change the fluid and drive it.

Funny, I don't take my own advise and went and got a BTS even though there was nothing wrong with my trans. But, I know it was only a matter of time.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:42 PM
orng1
Postmaster
So the problem is gone now? Drives normally?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I would start saving. Fresh fluid and filter will "refresh" your tranny, but if you have a chia pet instead of a magnet then you may want to start setting aside some $$.

Pay close attention to how your tranny acts now. Shift firmness, timing....RPMs when in gear...fuel mileage. Alot of that can tell you if it is starting to slip.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 AM
SLUF681
Senior User
Originally Posted by orng1
So the problem is gone now? Drives normally?
When I left for work tonight (first time driving more than 3 miles since changing fluid/filter) I noticed a few things had changed. My hesitation of going into gear was gone, my (very slight) shudder was gone, and it shifts smoother in all gears. I had assumed the shudder was the slip joint in the drive shaft needing a good lube job.

After seeing the tranny fluid I now know how much I have ahead of me getting my "new" truck up to par. I never considered my wallet to be too thick, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be thinning it down further with several preventive maintenance projects. I guess I just caught a strong case of PMS!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:40 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Rodney, two things.

Start putting back some money and start looking for someone in Knoxville that can get Ford parts at cost. You should have time for both and it makes the decision to get the OEM a lot better.

I got mine for cost plus tax. $3K , but I did the install. Runs good.

I need to get a DP F5 to help the shifting. I also have AE on the short list so that I can do a baseline slippage (which there shouldn't be) to watch the history.

If I figure out how to use the AE software, I would be happy to hook it up for you also. It would let you periodically (I am told) take a new ready and see if the slippage is getting worse.

My tranny went out all at once. It was slipping a little, but it just let go.

I don't know if my OEM HD is "less better" than the JW or BTS, but I don't think that anyone could tell the difference without swapping them around in the same truck to feel the difference.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 AM
SLUF681
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobbyrjw
Rodney, two things.

Start putting back some money and start looking for someone in Knoxville that can get Ford parts at cost. You should have time for both and it makes the decision to get the OEM a lot better.

I got mine for cost plus tax. $3K , but I did the install. Runs good.

I need to get a DP F5 to help the shifting. I also have AE on the short list so that I can do a baseline slippage (which there shouldn't be) to watch the history.

If I figure out how to use the AE software, I would be happy to hook it up for you also. It would let you periodically (I am told) take a new ready and see if the slippage is getting worse.

My tranny went out all at once. It was slipping a little, but it just let go.

I don't know if my OEM HD is "less better" than the JW or BTS, but I don't think that anyone could tell the difference without swapping them around in the same truck to feel the difference.
I appreciate the offer and may takeyou up on it. I spoke with my father-in-law yesterday and we are considering going in halfsies and getting AE, since we both have fords. I assume there's nothing extra needed? He's got an '09 F-150 (5.4L). He was talking about possibly getting the Chrysler package too, for his mini-van and I guess it would work on his Cherokee.

I should've just married him!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by SLUF681
So my question is... Am I worrying over nothing or am I about to buy a new 4R100 HD?
First off, what are your plans for the truck? If you plan ANY mods, you need to find a trans builder that will warranty it IN SPITE OF the mods. Those builders are few and far between. I know of techs that squeal to Ford if they see your truck has mods installed while in there for service. Look at the factory warranty. Any mods can void the warranty. Will it come into effect? Hard to say. My Firebird was excluded since I had power adders. Service writer said that up front when I told him I had trans troubles. I have also seen the techs that squeal to Ford PERSONALLY. Might not always happen but it is something worth mentioning.

If you plan no mods and don't do a lot of stop and go towing, you can probably get away with the cheaper rebuild. Those are good for 3 yrs so if you are going to sell it by then, I would get that. OTOH, if you are fixing it to sell, get the cheapest thing by Jasper, Aamco, etc, etc. New owner won't pay you more for it anyways.

JW and BTS are the only ones I know of that will honor a warranty IN SPITE OF the mods. Remember, anyone can say anything before money changes hands. After it changes hands, well......

I went with BTS because I knew I would break the trans sooner or later and usually outside warranty. BTS has a reputation of fixing it AFTER the 2 yr warranty is up for FREE. You pay shipping.