Sponsored by: DP Tuner

When to use Loctite??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM
rbsample
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to use Loctite??

When do you use Loctite green, blue, or red threadlocker? I have always been curious as to what the general rule of thumb was. For example, I just replaced my ball joints along with all of the seals on my front axle so for those of you that have done that job, should I have used Loctite on any of the threads? What about any other threads on these trucks?

Thanks!!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red is for permanent install, hard to come off
Blue is help it from coming loose but can be taken off with normal hand tools
Green is for use on nuts and bolts that are already installed and penetrates down to the threads

It's always a good rule of thumb to use loctite of the right type on parts that deal alot with vibration/heat cycles/ or parts that are critical for operation or nuts and bolts that have been taken on and off alot and get worn.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I am a big fan of blue loctite. I use it quite often.
I used a little bit of it on my new IRP nut...that little thing just looks flimsy, and I sure dont want it to fall off.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
In addition to fastener retention, I find it quite useful as a thread sealant. I use it against hydraulic pressure, water, fuel...... well, virtually all liquids. Teflon tape is almost a thing of my past if I have the time to let LocTite set up properly.

The secret is to use it just sparingly enough to get it on the threads and nothing else. You don't want the stuff circulating through the fuel, hydraulics, etc.

Been using it since the mid-'70's.

Pop

Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I honestly never used Locktite before I found FTE, now I have and use the Blue when I need it. Never realized it before but now I know it can be the difference between being safe or total disaster.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:30 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by Franko72
I am a big fan of blue loctite. I use it quite often.
I used a little bit of it on my new IRP nut...that little thing just looks flimsy, and I sure dont want it to fall off.
Same here, i like it over the red because whatever you use it on can usually be removed whithout ending up with bloody knuckels! I usually dont need ant asistance in getting those.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
I used blue on a stripped lamp switch **** a few weeks ago. Red is also used when pressing in pins that are not much of a press fit.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM
offroadnt
Senior User
I use Never Seize and Copper Kote far more than I use Loctite. I find I have allot more trouble getting stuff loose than having it come loose . On suspension and steering parts with lock nuts and retainers, shock mounts, spring hangers, body parts etc. if you ever have the taper come loose before the nut and you can't get in there with a zip disc . If I use Loctite, it's almost always red and in recommended places and parts I know or suspect will come loose. I always use a drop of oil on wheel studs and between the wheel nuts and washers. If the bolt or stud is extra tight and looks rusty when I remove it I'll usually use Anti Seize and if seems loose and the threads are clean I'll use Loctite. Works for me .

Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 PM
rbsample
Senior User
Thanks for the replies!!

So just to get things straight...when I did my ball joints and even the sway bar bushings, I would have wanted to use blue on everything?

Is there any bolts that we shouldn't use loctite on, besides the fuel lines and such like SpringerPop stated?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I am getting ready to put new o-rings in my fuel bowl and fuel rail. Got the o-ring kit from Bob. I could not find what was recommended to use as the 'teflon' (Diesel compatable) thread coating. At the Auto parts store they gave me the Red Loc-tite. I am thinking from reading this thread that that may not be very smart to use.

Suggestions?

Green?
Blue?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:26 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rbsample
Thanks for the replies!!

So just to get things straight...when I did my ball joints and even the sway bar bushings, I would have wanted to use blue on everything?
I'm researching replacing my ball joints as well. I just serviced my sealed wheel bearing assemblys this past weekend... I'm now wondering if I should have used blue Locktight on the wheel bearing nuts/studs and brake caliper bolts.

Originally Posted by Brother Les
I am getting ready to put new o-rings in my fuel bowl and fuel rail. Got the o-ring kit from Bob. I could not find what was recommended to use as the 'teflon' (Diesel compatable) thread coating. At the Auto parts store they gave me the Red Loc-tite. I am thinking from reading this thread that that may not be very smart to use.

Suggestions?

Green?
Blue?
As stated in previous posts, I wouldn't use anything but blue unless you never want to be able to get things apart again. My experience with red is you need heat to break it loose. Not really a good combination with the fuel related parts.

Yellow teflon tape (used for natural gas and propane lines) is rated for petroleum products and is recomened for diesel applications as well.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
offroadnt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brother Les

Suggestions?

Green?
Blue?
Loctite 567 thread sealant if you have pipe thread good to ten thousand psi in hydraulics, Permatex has the same product.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
offroadnt
Brother Les

Suggestions?

Green?
Blue?
Loctite 567 thread sealant if you have pipe thread good to ten thousand psi in hydraulics, Permatex has the same product.

I hope that it does not look like I am hi-jacking your thread, rbsample, I needed a good answer to your post.

I order an o-ring kit for my fuel bowl from Bob at "Diesel 0-rings" and the instructions showed to use some sealant, Gasolila..... .My Brother-in-law has an '00 7.3 and I told him that I was overhauling my fuelbowl because it is leaking Diesel at the 'water drain'. He said he had some type of fuel leak also and had fuel in his valley. I said that it is either the 'drain' or the heating element plug...ect. on his fuel bowl. I told him I would call 'Bob' and order him a kit and get the fuel rail seals also. This gave me a chance to talk to Bob about the 'Gasoila

Bob told me not to use any Loc-tite where an o-ring is used or at the fuel rail seals. 'Loc-tite' may cause damage because of the force needed to take these apart again if you needed to.The Gasoila was not needed in these areas either and that it is only a 'pipe dope' and not 'a' sealant to be used at the Copper fittings in order to have a smoother fit and not bind. You will not even need this if you do not take the fittings out or the fuel bowl<!-- / message -->

Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i use the loctite in the stick form almost exclusively now that i found it
way less mess and waste of course green isnt available in stick for obvious reasons

loctite - Google Search

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM
rbsample
Senior User
Brother Les... No worries here at all!! The more we can all learn about thread treatments the better!!

I think from now on whenever I turn a nut or bolt I will be applying blue..and maybe throw the red in the trash can.

Quick Reply: When to use Loctite??