Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multifunction switch write up

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Multifunction switch write up

Hey guys. Posted this last night in the PSD section. Thought it would be of good use up here too.

Had to change my multifunction switch tonight. Figured I'd do a write up on it. Jim did a write up awhile back where he removed the wheel so I thought I'd do one without removing the wheel. I started at 10:30PM when I got home from work. I finished around 11:15PM taking time to take plenty of pics so I would have a good selection for this write up. Here we go.

Tools needed:
  • medium size Phillips screwdriver
  • T-20 torx driver
  • 2 small flathead screwdrivers
  • 7mm driver or socket on a 1/4" ratchet
  • cresent wrench
Start off by removing the lower dash panel. I had already removed it before I decided to take pics for a write up, so no pics of that. There are 2 7mm screws on the bottom of it to be removed, then simply pull it off.

Now you need to remove the lower column cover. There are 3 phillips screws that go in from the bottom and one on the right side of the column

Now unscrew the tilt lever so that you can get the lower cover off. It literally takes 5 seconds to get off.

Now that all the screws are out and the tilt lever is out, the bottom cover just falls off. Now you can shift the top cover around so you can work on the switch easily. The top cover doesn't come off unless you pull the ignition out which is really easy also, but not neccessary for this job. The multifunction switch is just held on by 2 T-20 torx screws. Pull those out and the switch will drop down so you can unplug the 2 connectors

bottom switch screw

top switch screw

If you pull the bottom connector off first, it makes it a little easier to get the top out IMO. Both connectors have 2 clips so you will have to use 2 flat blade screwdrivers to release the clips and pull the connectors off.

Now that the connectors are off, the multifunction switch is out. Now it's time for the new one. In my case, I did not have a new one and since my turn signals weren't working I had to change it quickly. I used the switch from my donor 1992 F-150. There was no difference between the 2.

Installation is reverse of removal. Nice and simple.

top screw for the switch

bottom

Put the bottom cover back on after shifting the top cover back down

put the tilt lever back

Now put the lower dash back on and your DONE!!

Now, I should probably say I felt incredibly stupid after I finished this. The reason I changed the switch is because the turn signals were not working, but everything else did. The hazards, wipers, etc. I just put a new flasher in last week and since the hazards worked, i assumed the flasher was good. I was WRONG!!!! Got the donor switch in the truck and plugged it in. I checked it before I put everything together. Same symptoms. So I pulled the flasher out and hit the hazards. What do ya know, the hazards work without the flasher. Learn something new everyday!!! So I stole the flasher out of my F-150 and put it in, everything worked perfectly. So, I buttoned it up feeling pretty dumb, but happy it works now. LOL

Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,172 Likes on 926 Posts
Nice write-up and photos!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
redlightning93
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent post!

Now you can fix that fuel tank changeover switch

Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
LMFAO. I knew there would be a comment on the fuel tank selector switch. I would have already fixed it, but it broke the plastic that the screws go through. Ironically, I gave away my last spare selector switch to a guy that had his truck vandalized on the forums and a couple weeks later my selector switch did that. Still works, just a PITA to change. I will get a new switch soon though. I also have to change the illumination lights on the guages. 2 of the lights went out so some of the guages don't light up. Sucks having 330k miles on something. LOL

Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
<i>Now, I should probably say I felt incredibly stupid after I finished this. The reason I changed the switch is because the turn signals were not working, but everything else did. The hazards, wipers, etc. I just put a new flasher in last week and since the hazards worked, i assumed the flasher was good. I was WRONG!!!! Got the donor switch in the truck and plugged it in. I checked it before I put everything together. Same symptoms. So I pulled the flasher out and hit the hazards. What do ya know, the hazards work without the flasher. Learn something new everyday!!! So I stole the flasher out of my F-150 and put it in, everything worked perfectly. So, I buttoned it up feeling pretty dumb, but happy it works now. LOL </I>

Nice little write up but one small bit of info for ya.

Trucks have two flasher units.

The flasher unit you see in the lower right corner of the fuse box is for the turn signals. There is a second flasher unit mounted about directly behind that one, back side of the fuse box, its for the hazard lights.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well that's nice, ain't been here for couple few weeks. Took me totally by surprise, would think anything like that have leveled off as far as that goes in that amount of time gone by right? Nope tried to but won't let me hit your reps for ya. Who could or would keep track, who I hit last time around and for what?

Got the "must spread bla bla bla before hitting strokin'_tatsch again" wow?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 PM
redlightning93
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
LMFAO. I knew there would be a comment on the fuel tank selector switch. I would have already fixed it, but it broke the plastic that the screws go through. Ironically, I gave away my last spare selector switch to a guy that had his truck vandalized on the forums and a couple weeks later my selector switch did that. Still works, just a PITA to change. I will get a new switch soon though. I also have to change the illumination lights on the guages. 2 of the lights went out so some of the guages don't light up. Sucks having 330k miles on something. LOL
Yea....just picking at ya!

Nice job on the post. I am spreading the reps for ya.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Thanks for the reps guys!!! I felt really dumb after I figured out it was just the flasher. I think I remember reading that there were 2 flashers about 2 years ago, but that was the last I heard about it. I've never had to mess with the hazard flasher so it never crossed my mind that there were 2 of them. LOL. Live and learn!!