Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Looks like Dodge is tired of being the underdog....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Hey you leave my pots out of this!

Ain't no thing man. Sorry for being grouchy.
No worries I have my moments too.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to see you two make up.

Now, if we can get away from horsepower vs. torque wars, semi trucks and all that other stuff and steer this thread back toward it's original intent I think we'll all be happier

Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Looks like they did just that.......upped the tow rating to a max of 22,700 lbs.

2011 Ram 2500 and 3500 - Capability - Powertrain
Didn't know that John, thanks for the link. I noticed a footnote (2) beside the tow rating info but I can't find where it is. Did you by chance?

Also noticed the significant de-rating for the manual trans. Looks like those who make that choice are going to have to settle for less power.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Didn't know that John, thanks for the link. I noticed a footnote (2) beside the tow rating info but I can't find where it is. Did you by chance?

Also noticed the significant de-rating for the manual trans. Looks like those who make that choice are going to have to settle for less power.

I've looked but I can't find the footnote info either. Maybe it's one of those "When properly equipped" things. Another shootout should be pretty interesting.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 PM
offroadnt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repped ya for this post.
I'm gonna sound like a dummy here, but what does that mean?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by offroadnt
No dumby at all!

It means I added to your reputation positively. On the right hand side on somebody's post you have the option of repping somebody good or bad, and leaving a comment. You can view your rep points and comments in your user CP status!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by offroadnt

Hey offroadnt, the flashing GIF with those smilies is pretty annoying

Old 02-19-2011, 07:21 AM
offroadnt
Senior User
No dumby at all!

It means I added to your reputation positively. On the right hand side on somebody's post you have the option of repping somebody good or bad, and leaving a comment. You can view your rep points and comments in your user CP status!
Oh, thanks bill, I'm a newbie at this Forum stuff, I appreciate your patients .

Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM
offroadnt
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Hey offroadnt, the flashing GIF with those smilies is pretty annoying
Oops I apologize guys, don't see anything on my computer. I'll stop that .
Um... what's a GIF?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 AM
offroadnt
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Good to see you two make up.

Now, if we can get away from horsepower vs. torque wars, semi trucks and all that other stuff and steer this thread back toward it's original intent I think we'll all be happier

Dodge is still the underdog, they have a bit more torque, but they are still lacking 50hp.
The engine can handle the shock loading from the extra torque.
I wonder if the limiting factor is the cooling system.
Or they can't meet emisions .

Looks like Dodge can't afford to upgrade their manual transmissions for increased torque at this time.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:59 PM
dkf
Hotshot
I've looked but I can't find the footnote info either. Maybe it's one of those "When properly equipped" things. Another shootout should be pretty interesting.
The Max Tow package is what takes the 5er capacity to 22,700 and the GCWR to 30k. The footnote was probably referring to that package. The conventional tow rating is still fairly low at around 12k lbs. Hell my 04' SD has a conventional tow rating of 12,500lbs. The max payload is also a good bit lower than the current GM and Ford offerings.

"Ram HD towing ratings are also headed upward, with an optional Max Tow package that will increase fifth wheel towing to 22,700 pounds on select Ram 3500 one-ton models, up from today's 18,500 pounds rating. The max gross combined weight rating will also rise to as high as 30,000 pounds."

"To handle the increased towing, the Max Tow package will add a beefed up rear axle with a new 4.10 gear ratio, new rear-axle pinion, new helical gears, upgraded bearings and an aluminum differential cover with large cooling fins. There's also a new water-to-oil transmission cooler and new power steering cooler to help manage the higher trailer towing ratings."

Doesn't look like any frame or suspension changes were made.

Looks like Dodge can't afford to upgrade their manual transmissions for increased torque at this time.
My suspicion is that at RAM and/or the transmission company doesn't want to spend the money to update the design (and clutch)to handle the high torque numbers these new diesels are putting out. Which would make sense due to the percentage of manual transmissions currently being ordered in these trucks.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:41 PM
offroadnt
Senior User
My suspicion is that at RAM and/or the transmission company doesn't want to spend the money to update the design (and clutch)to handle the high torque numbers these new diesels are putting out. Which would make sense due to the percentage of manual transmissions currently being ordered in these trucks.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
F-series Fan
Senior User
I think they couldn't decide whether to dodge or ram. HaHa, just kidding I've had dodge, Chevy, and Ford, as much as it may upset people on this site, I've found (doing auto repair for 20+ years ) and personal experience that F-Series ARE the TOUGHEST trucks out there, with Chevy nipping at their heels and dodge rite behind. FORD trucks and GM cars are a great combo. But what rubs me wrong are the hybrids (dodge name, Mitsubishi drive-train) But as far as trucks go, any American built will crush an import!!! GO AMERICAN!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
and an aluminum differential cover with large cooling fins.

Pickuptrucks.com posted a picture of the new diff cover the other day:

The New Diff Cover for the Ram Heavy Duty Pickup is a Work of Art - PickupTrucks.com News

Things are going to get interesting for sure. From looking at the information regarding the Max Tow Package, it's obvious that current 2011 Ram owners aren't going to be able to just get a flash to upgrade their trucks like the 2011 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel customers did.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:28 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dodge or Ram or whatever it is called may be tired of being the underdog, but they will always be a dog, and it won't be Top Dog.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Pickuptrucks.com posted a picture of the new diff cover the other day:

The New Diff Cover for the Ram Heavy Duty Pickup is a Work of Art - PickupTrucks.com News

Things are going to get interesting for sure. From looking at the information regarding the Max Tow Package, it's obvious that current 2011 Ram owners aren't going to be able to just get a flash to upgrade their trucks like the 2011 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel customers did.
I saw that pic the other day, it sure is a nice cover. I would like one for my Sterling 10.5.

Quick Reply: Looks like Dodge is tired of being the underdog....