1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

busted transfer cases!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Some lateral force against the t-case is very common, whenever the spline shaft gets dry, which just about everyone deals with sooner or later on these trucks. The old t-case handled that just fine, and it was just an annoying noise. The new narrower model may not take it so well.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If they are in very slick conditions and are just flooring the accelerator and all four wheels are spinning like crazy and one wheel catches on something could that cause this result?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I doubt it...

Old 02-08-2011, 04:43 PM
ayden2004
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im surprised at 7 tcases being broken. mine is still in one piece. and ive had multiple situations with 4 wheel spinning and then catching. lots of new construction jobs with deep mud/snow. mine has also been dropped 6 feet. attached to the transmission. transmission case broke t case handled the impact well.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagion
If they are in very slick conditions and are just flooring the accelerator and all four wheels are spinning like crazy and one wheel catches on something could that cause this result?
I'm with Art, I doubt it.

There is NOTHING that you should be able to do to these things during regular operation that would cause a failure. There is nothing I can think of that would put more strain on the T-case than turning the truck on dry pavement in 4WD...and this happens everyday without failures.

Short of engaging 4WD with the rear wheels spinning at a high rate of speed, nothing should cause this. I suspect the OP may have had something screwed up in the installation. Either that or REALLY bad luck.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
transfer stuff

these trucks are automatics and stock size tire/all terraine. would think the truck would be kinda bullet proof. these trucks have to stay OEM for warranty. nothing tricky just OEM. yes winter ice snow mud is the norm and hills. I have a 2008 dodge service truck with 160,000miles on it. we see things happen quicker than the average driver. The motors 6.2 gasser in the fords seem to run well but fuel mileage is down in the 12 to 14 mpg range. company will not buy a diesel to costly in a field environment. motors can't take the start stop and cold weather. diesels in the shop every couple months for sure. When I say diesel I mean ford chevy dodge all about the same in the field and same expense to run. gassers seem to do better and more cost effective in the long run. my dodge has been in the shop every month in 2010. this year looks about the same. catch you guys later and just some things happening in our world. These trucks are in 4wd everyday since winter hit.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Ak68F250
Posting Guru
Where they clunking when braking?
Could you here the t-case chain sound like it was getting slammed back and forth?
Were they doing any hard turn in 4x4?

Dad's 06 is doing it and makes me wonder.
Even does it when icy and stopping.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I think the drivers don't know to STOP when they get the wheel hop and let the thing slam-slam-slam until it breaks.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
new trucks 2011

No weird sounds from what I was told. new trucks less than 15,000miles. Sometimes when hitting a hill you have to commit in snow and don't stop and try and be smooth. sometimes things work out no problems pulling these hills. Sometimes it doesn't go so smooth and you have to work it. I'll get some more info and see whats a common issue with each. What transfercase are they running in the 3/4 tons with 6.2?? The other day in my dodge service truck got stuck in the road and slide off and thats when things got interesting. back hoe to pull me out/up the hill. my truck is heavy but haven't broke anything but front driveshafts/worn out. I usually go through a driveshaft every year or 2. lots of use in winter world and running ice snow mud. burn out CV usually.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
The real trick is the tires. If you're running in that kind of stuff, a serious A/T is a requirement, and if snow is that bad, Goodyear Silent Armors might be a good thing.

The problem with the "bang bang" in low traction is the tires. I've gotten my SD into situations, even here on flat Long Island where the snow is up to the grill, and on a slight incline, highway tires like my Nittos will slip and I get that wheel-hop/bang-bang thing.

When I was using the Goodyear Silent Armors in the same situations, I went right through it without a problem.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
silent armor is a allterraine.

Originally Posted by Krewat
The real trick is the tires. If you're running in that kind of stuff, a serious A/T is a requirement, and if snow is that bad, Goodyear Silent Armors might be a good thing.

The problem with the "bang bang" in low traction is the tires. I've gotten my SD into situations, even here on flat Long Island where the snow is up to the grill, and on a slight incline, highway tires like my Nittos will slip and I get that wheel-hop/bang-bang thing.

When I was using the Goodyear Silent Armors in the same situations, I went right through it without a problem.
silent armor is a all terraine tire to me and yes they are running some of those tires like the michelin MS and the more agressive all terraine MS version. tires life expectancy is around 15,000 to 20,000 miles in this environment at best.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 PM
7.3 Ex
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm curious how folks are getting all 4 wheels to spin at once. Do the newer Super Duty pickups come with lockers from the factory? I had to spend thousands of dollars getting ARB air lockers installed in both of my axles to get all 4 tires to engage simultaneously.

There are a lot of weaker links than a transfer case that I've worn and broken from off road abuse like axle shafts, hubs, u-joints, even a Dana 60 ARB. The transfer case should not be the first to go. That other thread claims the newer transfer cases are revised since Magna Power took over New Venture. Are these trucks breaking the replacement transfer cases as well? Perhaps swapping these for the older, possibly stronger models is an option? Can you post images of the broken transfer cases?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:15 AM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
post deleted

Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by BrockwayMT
First off, I'll give you what Ford doesn't tell you. Mexico.

The new Super Duty tcase is being built in Mexico, although my sources tell me they are still building some in Syracuse due to problems getting the Mexicans up to speed.
And what does that have to do with anything? The 6.7L PSD is made in Mexico, and you don't see much in the way of quality problems there.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
post deleted

Quick Reply: busted transfer cases!!!!