6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Order or Not to Order...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:07 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Order or Not to Order...

Because this just came up this morning I figured I would start a new thread. And to kick start it with Marauder's last post in the other thread:

Originally Posted by Marauder92V
There are a couple of threads on this, but in a nutshell you should be able to do a clean deal (order the truck, no Ford financing and no trade in) at or below invoice plus incentives. I had one desperate dealer show me the actual dealer cost in an effort to split it with me. For a F350, CC, SWB it was $1,700 and change.

Another dealer that I purchased from did the same deal (~$900 below invoice) and honored the $3,500 in incentives that were in place when I ordered. I later learned Ford authorized them to do this (they were trying to leverage it as something they were doing for me).

You should be able to find a good deal. Just make sure if you order that the dealer actually has an allocation slot available for the truck.
One dealer I am working with has put in more effort to get me what I want than anyone else. He's taking in to account my "preferences" section on my list (none are deal breakers, but ideally I would prefer what I had on that section). He told me pretty much he couldn't find me one, but he certainly could order it.

Now the curveball in the game - 4-6 week wait, from what he says. I need to find out if they have a slot to order in first (I don't know how that 4-6 week number comes in, or if it is just a guess). My rental truck needs to go back 5 days after settlement. I would assume that means once I have my check from insurence - and that will all be happening pretty quick.

The sticker on the special order truck is $60,150 and this dealer has me all the way below $51,500, with incentives, not including tax, title fees.

If I do it I would need another vehicle until the truck comes in. I would be better off buying a cheap vehicle and trade it back in than to pay $30/day to keep my rental truck.

Or, I can continue the fight to find a truck through dealer locating or already on a lot somewhere and try to beat the price down.

Getting exactly the truck I want with no miles is pretty appealing, but there is also the time factor and the added fiasco of another vehicle purchase and sale or trade in of that vehicle.

Thoughts?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise Car rental, does long term rentals.

Get what you want, don't leave out things you really want.
In other words, you'll probably be ordering...

I would say 6 weeks+ (7-8 more than likely) don't know where 4 weeks came from.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve

Have you looked at Woodhouse Ford's web site? They are in Blair, Ne. and claim to be the largest F series dealer in the US. The last time I looked they had over 200 6.7's in stock. I bought my truck from them when I was working out there last summer. No affiliation other than being a satisfied customer. Here id the link:

https://www.woodhouse.com/ford.htm?M...d&New-Used=New

Good Luck

Regards

Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Y2KPSD
Enterprise Car rental, does long term rentals.

Get what you want, don't leave out things you really want.
In other words, you'll probably be ordering...

I would say 6 weeks+ (7-8 more than likely) don't know where 4 weeks came from.
I will check on the long term rental. That may be an option. However, if I can buy and sell another vehicle for a significantly less loss in $$ over that period than my rental fees it still may be better to buy/sell (or trade).

Let me see what I find out.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Well I am one big leap closer to placing an order. The dealer has 4 allocation slots left and they're not going very fast. I can also get low finaincing down where I was on my other truck.

The next big leap is to figure out transportation between now and the (potentially) 2 months down the road when the truck comes in.

Given the price and other numbers, exactly what I want, and no miles on the ticker I think an order is the best route. The only thing holding me up is figuring out transportation in the mean time. There are a few options. Plus, the longer I wait the less $$ financed = even lower payment.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 PM
bastech
New User
Four weeks is very possible. Placed my order and 4 weeks later I was a happy camper. Did not expect it that soon. Sales man said he would try and push it through and he did. Just dont pull the trigger to quick as i did and not get the options you want. Read the threads here there is alot of good info. Wish i had found this site before I orderd. For the most part I got the truck I wanted, had to add the remote start, and would like the rapid heat. But I love my truck. Sure cant wait till spring gets here to tow the 5ver with it. Towing is as much fun as camping now. By the way I love my truck.
bastech

Old 02-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 678 Likes on 445 Posts
Hey Steve,

I briefly considered ordering a truck when I needed to replace my '08.

Until I learned of how the insurance company would handle reimbursing the sales tax on the salvage value. On my '02 total loss in OH, as well as my '08 in WI, the insurance company would only pay the sales tax if the replacement vehicle was bought within 30 days.

No replacement vehicle in 30 days = no sales tax paid. On a ~$50,000 truck that can be as much as $3,700 if sales tax is the same rate as when I left OH last year.

Simply put, unless things have changed you stand to lose nearly $4K if your order a truck. I'd strongly recommend talking with your insurance company about this before placing an order.

And for the record, if things have changed and this is no longer correct I'd order one and get exactly what you want! Wasn't possible for me, so I had them dealer trade and find me one.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Yeah, speaking of options - a few I am not sure of are:

5th wheel/gooseneck setup
PTO
heavy service/camper prep/snowplow prep
Dual alternators or just heavy duty?

I was going to get the rapid heat and remote start so the rapid heat would give me the heavy duty alternator. I was looking in to the Reese signature series rail kit with the pucks for my last truck so getting it built in might be a better option as I won't have to go cutting up the bed myself Plus it has a gooseneck hole instead of needing the bracket that goes in the 5th wheel pucks.

Why are the 20" wheels not available with the camper package?

Anything else you guys have to add?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Tom,

Good thought. Although my insurence valuation form lists the breakdown of the total payment including tax, not separate. So I would assume that is included. I will make a phone call Monday just to be sure. If nothing else I can take the check and send it over to the dealer to preserve the funds if it gets to that

Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 678 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Tom,

Good thought. Although my insurence valuation form lists the breakdown of the total payment including tax, not separate. So I would assume that is included. I will make a phone call Monday just to be sure. If nothing else I can take the check and send it over to the dealer to preserve the funds if it gets to that
My first valuation for my '08 was including sales tax. But I then got a call telling me that the sales tax wasn't going to be paid unless I purchase a truck within 30 days. So they issued my equity check first, and I had to send them the bill of sale to get my sales tax paid for.

Both times I had a total loss I had to provide a bill of sale to collect the sales tax. In OH I had to provide this within 30 days or they wouldn't pay at all. In WI it didn't matter when I provided them proof, just as long as the purchase was made within 30 days.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, speaking of options - a few I am not sure of are:

5th wheel/gooseneck setup
PTO
heavy service/camper prep/snowplow prep
Dual alternators or just heavy duty?

I was going to get the rapid heat and remote start so the rapid heat would give me the heavy duty alternator. I was looking in to the Reese signature series rail kit with the pucks for my last truck so getting it built in might be a better option as I won't have to go cutting up the bed myself Plus it has a gooseneck hole instead of needing the bracket that goes in the 5th wheel pucks.

Why are the 20" wheels not available with the camper package?

Anything else you guys have to add?
I have the rapid heat and the included HD alternator. Works great. It does a good job of charging my fiver batteries while driving

The prevailing wisdom on the non-availability of 20 inch rubber with the camper package is tire sidewall height and top heavy stability concerns with a slide in camper. If you go F350, you get plenty of spring pack and 11500 gvw without the camper package. Buy the wheel package you like the looks of best. If you go with the snow plow prep you will get the heaviest front springs available. Remember 20 inch rubber gets you mandatory 3.55 gearing.

Unless you already have the Reese fifth wheel hitch, consider going with the B&W Turnover Ball setup. Their Companion fifth wheel is a very high quality fiver hitch. You have a completely clean box floor when the Companion is removed. The removal procedure takes five minutes. The gooseneck ball hides in its socket when not needed. Installed price is around $1300 for the complete kit. I l really like my B&W setup.

Your PTO question will need someone else to comment, no experience here.

If you want the garage door opener option, make sure you specifically order it. It does not appear to be included in any option packages.

I did not go the final step up to a Lariat Ultimate with the factory Nav. If I did it over I would get the Nav package. It adds so many features to the Sync and other functions, I wish I had it now.

Woodhouse did not have your truck in stock?

Regards

Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Rick,

Thanks for the info. I didn't give woodhouse a shot yet. I don't know that they can get me a rock-bottom price over there. Its possible, but the one dealer here is pretty helpful and willing to make a deal.

As to the nav - I had that in my '10, not sure if you rode along or not. I used it all the time - once I started using it I'll never go back to the stone age. I could get a Garmin nav unit but the built in one is real nice. Im curious if they have changed anything in the '11 system.

I don't want the Ultimate package - gives you the power moon/sun roof that I don't want. Nearly all of the lariat ultimates I have found have the chrome package too. Take off the chrome package and power moon/sun roof and that is $2000 savings right there alone, for stuff I really dont want anyway.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM
jim48
Elder User
I think you will always be happier long-term with ordering and getting exactly what you want vs. buying off the lot. Of course maybe you or your dealer can find just what you want. I can tell you I would expect a lot longer wait for order than what you may hear. My F350 was ordered Nov. 15, still haven't seen it. It was supposed to be at dealer Dec 28th, but that didn't happen. Mine is Lariat, diese, dually, chassis cab. Perhaps something about that combo is causing a delay. The dealer says every Ford truck is taking longer no matter what it is. I used 16K. SuperGlide in my 04 F250 with SuperRails, expensive but the best my money could buy. Super 5th going in the new truck. Where you at, old hithch for sale, like new, along with 30 gal RDS fuel/tool. 60 gal RDS going in new truck. Good luck. I live in SouthCentral Kansas.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
If you want the garage door opener option, make sure you specifically order it. It does not appear to be included in any option packages.

Regards
"Universal Garage Door Opener"

Optional in the Lariat, Standard on KR

Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Rick,

Thanks for the info. I didn't give woodhouse a shot yet. I don't know that they can get me a rock-bottom price over there. Its possible, but the one dealer here is pretty helpful and willing to make a deal.
I called Woodhouse and over the phone they were at or below invoice on the first call. They will be competitive with any dealer in the US.