True Ford Disc brake conversion? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

True Ford Disc brake conversion?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Senior User

boss66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is it possible that a ford with rear disc brakes would have a caliper bracket that would bolt to the axle flange with minimum mods bolt to the front spindle of 53-56 F-100? 3 7/16 by 3 7/16

Last edited by boss66; 02-05-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Postmaster

fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
Very unlikely. And most of the Ford rear disc brake use a drum Emergency brake assembly that's part of the caliper bracket. Trying to use the rear bracket would just make more work over just making a new bracket.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior User

AZAV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
tazcliff,
Check here at ECI for part of what you are looking to use.

ECI Early Disc Brake Conversion Kits

Their kit for the 48-52 Ford pickup uses the later Ford pickup 5 on 5.5 rotors and large GM calipers. It appears to be a flat plate bracket to bolt to the spindle. You could buy the bracket/bearing kit without the rotors and calipers and then cut a new bracket for whatever Ford rotor you can find to work with the late for rotors. This will involve more work on your part to engineer the all-Ford brakes.

Phil
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Postmaster

fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAV8 View Post
tazcliff,
Check here at ECI for part of what you are looking to use.

ECI Early Disc Brake Conversion Kits

Their kit for the 48-52 Ford pickup uses the later Ford pickup 5 on 5.5 rotors and large GM calipers. It appears to be a flat plate bracket to bolt to the spindle. You could buy the bracket/bearing kit without the rotors and calipers and then cut a new bracket for whatever Ford rotor you can find to work with the late for rotors. This will involve more work on your part to engineer the all-Ford brakes.

Phil
That's basically what I was suggesting. By buying the basic bracket kit you'll get the parts needed to use the rotors. And who knows you might be able to sell the brackets and get some of your cash back. That is if the brackets are not usable. You might be able to modify them to get them to work with the Ford calipers.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Senior User

What I meant to say was you could buy the bracket/bearing kit and cut a new flat plate bracket to use whatever Ford CALIPER you wanted to use with the late Ford ROTORS. The kit contains bearings and spacers to use with the 48-56 spindles and the late Ford rotors. You need those items to use the rotors with your spindles. You could then plasma cut new flat plate brackets to use with your selection of Ford calipers. It can be done with a little thinking, parts chasing and engineering.

Phil
Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Elder User

Alcaeus has a good reputation on FTE.Alcaeus has a good reputation on FTE.
hey AZ what local in the desert are you in? and what year truck do you have?

I've said it before. If someone on here were to make that bracket I would buy it from them very quickly and put it on my truck...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAV8 View Post
What I meant to say was you could buy the bracket/bearing kit and cut a new flat plate bracket to use whatever Ford CALIPER you wanted to use with the late Ford ROTORS. The kit contains bearings and spacers to use with the 48-56 spindles and the late Ford rotors. You need those items to use the rotors with your spindles. You could then plasma cut new flat plate brackets to use with your selection of Ford calipers. It can be done with a little thinking, parts chasing and engineering.

Phil
Yes I know, the rotor adapters are the only reason to buy the kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcaeus View Post
I've said it before. If someone on here were to make that bracket I would buy it from them very quickly and put it on my truck...

The problem with making and selling kits is the liability. If for some reason there is a parts failure the person selling the kits could be sued. And for me I don't have a plasma cutter or any other fancy tools. So there would be a lot more time required to make the brackets. By the time you figure in the material cost and time invested there is very little profit to be made. If you had a way to mass produce them then it would be worth considering.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Junior User

tazcliff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
Yes I know, the rotor adapters are the only reason to buy the kits.

The problem with making and selling kits is the liability. If for some reason there is a parts failure the person selling the kits could be sued. And for me I don't have a plasma cutter or any other fancy tools. So there would be a lot more time required to make the brackets. By the time you figure in the material cost and time invested there is very little profit to be made. If you had a way to mass produce them then it would be worth considering.
Well I just happen to have access to all of the above and then some, I have an Uncle that basically has his own machine shop so I am sure its a possibility
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Posting Guru

Mervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcliff View Post
Well I just happen to have access to all of the above and then some, I have an Uncle that basically has his own machine shop so I am sure its a possibility
That is a business waiting to happen! If you decided to persue this idea, I for one would surely be interested in the final product.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervy49 View Post
That is a business waiting to happen! If you decided to persue this idea, I for one would surely be interested in the final product.
what he said!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Elder User

Quote:
I can understand the liability involved. I'd even send a release for a ford kit. Cest La Vie.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcaeus View Post
hey AZ what local in the desert are you in? and what year truck do you have?

My locale is the far Eastside of Tucson. My truck is a 48 F1. I'm a darksider because it has a Dakota IFS in the front, installed by Industrial Chassis in Phoenix.

For the bracket talk to Steve at Industrial Chassis. He has the experience and the computer controlled 2-axis plasma cutter to cut them out. He may be able to help you out. Phone 602-278-6800.

Phil
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Elder User

Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have a big bearing 9 inch that I want to convert to disk. Just by chance I got next to a late model 8.8 with disk brakes today (mustang GT) and took some measurements.

The axel to flange offset is the same between the two.

The caliper mount plate is flat stock.

And of course the bolt pattern matches my 9 inch (5x4.5)

Even the rotor inside diameter is large enough to slip over the 31 spline axel flange.

The only problem area I noted was the flange bolt pattern on the mount plate, the 8.8 has a 3.4 x 1.6 bolt pattern and the 9 inch has a 3.56 x 2.0.

So it looks like by having two new mounting plates made to match the 9 inch flange pattern, the mustang GT rear brake should bolt right up, they even have manual E brake (cable), not drum.

This may help the guys like me who are converting to the narrow lug pattern but for those of you who want to keep the wide lugs all I can say is see if the rotors can be re-drilled to match.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Postmaster

I believe the Explorer is a simpler swap for rear disc brakes. It just requires a spacer on the axle shaft. Other wise it's a bolt on swap. But I pretty sure this thread was dealing with front brakes not the rear.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Elder User

Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I believe the Explorer is a simpler swap for rear disc brakes. It just requires a spacer on the axle shaft. Other wise it's a bolt on swap. But I pretty sure this thread was dealing with front brakes not the rear.
After a quick re-read,,,,I stand corrected.
Gary