Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with transfercase problems please! Greatly appreciated

Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Horizon1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with transfercase problems please! Greatly appreciated

I own a 2001 excursion last summer at lake pulling boat out noticed popping sound coming from below while engaged in 4 wheel drive. Ive been through the transfer case, front differential hubs everything I can think of .Pulled the transfercase out again Im thinking the electronic actuator is not holding iether its weak or something failed internally inside the module/motor. I parked it on the concrete in 4 wheel hi. had my dad drive it back and forth and you can see the front drive line stop and have a motion as if splines were blown out but didnt find any mettalic debris in the case or oil. However the synchros had a bit if sharpness to them witch makes me believe the motor is not fully engaging causing the popping sounds when the torque is applied. Im tired of wasting time and money I love my excursion its just a true horse. I got it setn on 20's 35 "tires 4"lift .Detroit locker in the rear power lock in the front
Rancho suspension. K&N intake diablo tuner. Fat touch screen entertainment console. Its just a fun machine please help somebody!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chain stretched ?

Here's what Morse says:

Chain Elongation: Even though Morse Hy-Vo Products are built to last, when the rebuilder has the unit down, the sprockets and chain should be checked thoroughly.

Remember that it is very difficult for the aftermarket customer to measure chain elongation. One reason for this is shaft movement when the unit is apart. In certain cases, when the shafts are fixed with the cover off, an experienced field estimate may be acceptable.

Morse has special equipment to measure elongation parameters. In addition, each application could be different depending upon the application parameters.

The accuracy rate or error rate is 50% without using the right equipment to measure elongation of a chain. Every application has its own variations and the manufacturer’s recommended specifications for chain tolerances should be referenced.

If the chain has been in service for over 60,000 miles,
if the unit is torn down, or if the unit shows
signs of problems, neglect, or abuse – replace the chain.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Horizon1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know i have considered chain elongation but the local 4X4 experts say it takes some serious abuse to damage or stretch those chains. Someone commented today that the palnetary has been known to come out partially and cause a sort of binding. I did get a brand new a 4 wheel selector motor and compare it to mine to confirm that the selector positionionig was correct and it is. I have the synchros and clutches chain and main shaft im going into the city tommorrow to do some more forensics I do appreciate your reply I will have them compare it to a new one at the very least. Thanks again.