6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Slight engine surge

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
AZBaker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight engine surge

I have an unusual problem and the vehicle is scheduled in to the dealership on this coming Monday for its first oil change, DEF refill, tire rotation, and BCM recall. On occasion, maybe a half dozen times in the past couple of months, the engine has had a slight surge at highway speed. Is it the cruise control or the engine causing this? I was able to recorded the surge other day with my cell phone. This is on a straight, level road. You can see the surge in the instant MPG display. It rarely does this so I doubt the dealership will be able to duplicate it. If I had not been able to record this video I probably would not even mention it to the dealership because I do not intend to leave the truck with them if I can avoid it. I'm hoping that I'm not the first person to have had this problem or a code has been set to narrow down the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61LMivYQlp4
Any help would be appreciated so that this can be quickly resolved.

2011 F-250, Supercab, FX4, 3.55 ELA

Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
AZBaker
Freshman User
Update: It was surging a bit this morning so I decided to try disengaging the cruise control to see if it would go away. As soon as I put my foot on the throttle to maintain my speed when I disengaged the cruise control, the surge immediately stopped. I didn't disengage the cruise and the surge did not return. The truck is always warmed up, and the cruise control is engaged when this happens. I'm hoping to narrow it down before I take it in but who knows, it may not do it again before the appointment on Monday. Maybe the latest and greatest software flash would help.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I would focus the blame on the cruise control. I know you don't want to leave it... but this is something the dealer needs to fix. If you bought it recently, you might try talking to your salesman. We don't have rental reimbursement, but we bought two new 2011 Fords in the past 6 months. Our salesman has given us a car to use once, and has promised to do it again for a windshield leak repair on my wife's Explorer. Service and sales are pretty disconnected... but a good salesman will do whatever he can to take care of his customers.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 PM
AZBaker
Freshman User
Thanks for your advice. This Ford dealer in Panama City, FL has always treated me well and they are quick to put me in a vehicle when I have to leave my vehicle with them (this is my second Superduty in 5 years that I've bought from them). I guess my only issue is they put me into a puddle-jumper and that is a tough trade off. My wife has already convinced me that if they want to keep it a few days, let them. Thanks again.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I know what you mean about the tradeoff... the loaner Taurus doesn't pull my fiver nearly as well as my SD

Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Thom12
Senior User
AZBaker,

I was noticing that your boost presure never moved (when that gage was in the video) so I do not believe your engine was surging from what I could tell because it was not forcing the turbo into action. Although the tach was not visable most of the time, I did see the economy gage jumping up and down so I would guess that either you have a problem with a regen during cruise control use causing it (even though it should drop lower than your average during regen), or you do have a cruise control problem but your speedometer was staying pretty steady for that.

Do you feel any surge in power or is just the gauge showing you that flux?

Any way, I am sure Jay and the guys will get you hooked up. Now the rental car is a differant story... I usually end up with one that should be in my son's junk yard. (tell Jay I said hello).

EDIT: Just watched it again very closely and that sure looks like a regen in progress at a time when you just happen to be getting better than your average MPG, which will drop and flux your MPG just like that but usually lower than you average MPG. If you are not feeling any corrisponding power increase (surge) than I am betting that it is a normal regen at above average MPG.

Last edited by Thom12; 02-01-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added last part.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
AZBaker
Freshman User
Thom,
I thought about it "getting ready to regen" during previous episodes but the truck had just did a rejen the day before on the way to work (I drive around 100 miles a day round trip to Ft. Walton) so when it did it the last two times without a regen, I decided that was not it. Yes, I can feel the surge, ever so slight, but it is there. Almost like my old 6.0 would do when the EGR valve was in need of a cleaning. The surge is so shallow that it is not showing up in the turbo boost or a speed change that you can see on the speedometer and after a few minutes, it just goes away....strange.

Jay and company have put me in a vehicles from Enterprise when my 2006 needed work so I guess that I'll see what happens this time around. I did ask the question when I bought the 2011 if they still give a loaner when they keep the truck and the answer was yes. Right now my appointment is set up that I'm going to wait for the truck but I'll have to see how the day turns out. My truck has the BCM recall due and I have already been told that when they check it and if it needs to be replaced, they will have to order it and I will not be allowed to drive the truck home.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will post the results one way or the other of my visit to the dealership.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I have had this as well a few times. The rest of the problem is always driving into a headwind no matter the direction in Central IL LOL.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
bassdude
Elder User
glad you posted this.
mines doing kind of the same thing.
sometimes when the cruise control is set the boost gauge will steadily surge from about two to five pounds steadily back and forth. can't see it on the speedo or tach, but just barely audible from the motor. sometimes it keeps going till i do something like change the speed setting up or down one MPH or disengage the cruise for a second. other times it quits by itself.
i've noticed it mostly on extremly slight grades and if i'm bucking a side wind. guessing it's the cruise trying to hard to stay steady with to little resistance?
it's such a minor thing i haven't decided wether or not to take it in.
i think if it gets any more noticable i will.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
AZBaker
Freshman User
bassdude,

I will definitely post the outcome of whatever happens at the dealership on Monday. Even if they keep the truck, I will post when I get home to keep all informed of what is happening. I figured that I'm not the only one with a truck that has this problem...not with thousands of trucks sold. I'm hoping that it is just a software update and all will be good again.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
AZBaker
Freshman User
Well my trip to the dealer went okay. Got my free oil change, free DEF fill, front end aligned, tires rotated...but no fix for the surge. I showed them the surge video but since it isn't duplicate able and there are no bulletins for surging. It was a mutual decision for me to just keep driving the truck. No worries.

On another note, they had to order a gasket for a crossover manifold. I didn't mention in previous post but I have been smelling coolant, and have had to add about 1 quart of distilled water to the reservoir over that past 4k miles. Not a big leak, but a leak none the less. The leak is so slow that I drove the truck home. The only problem is they do not know status on getting a gasket...I guess because the engine is so new. The said that they will have to drain the cooling system to replace the gasket. I've tried taking a picture of the leaking component but I just can't get my camera to focus in on it but it is right on top of the engine, towards the front.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Did they even offer any ideas as to what the surge might be? Your video should have given them some path to follow.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:41 AM
AZBaker
Freshman User
Unfortunately, they had no ideas. I'm hoping that whatever it is, will set a code or the surge becomes more frequent or best of all, just go away. I knew that it would be difficult to pin down, unlike the coolant leak, I showed the service advisor right where the leak is.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM
AZBaker
Freshman User
I picked the truck up from the dealer Friday evening. The repair order shows that they replaced a half dozen gaskets, sealing ring, 4 retainers, several gallons of anti-freeze along with distilled water. I'm refraining from saying the leak is fixed as the smell of coolant is very strong now but I'm hoping that it is because of what was spilled on the top of the motor during the repair action. I'm keeping an eye on the reservoir fluid level. Since I drive a 100 miles a day, I would think that the residue should be gone by the end of the week. The truck was dropped off Thursday evening and I was told that the mechanic started on it that evening. Worked it all day Friday and was still working it when I arrived to pick it up...right up to closing time. They did wash the truck for free and I'm very happy that it was under warranty because the labor charges would have been staggering. Take care.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 AM
CDNMuddawg
New User
I've noticed a different surge, sputter, hesitation at low rpm's that only seems to happen at temps around 32F. Under normal light throttle after a warm restart, my truck sputters like its getting no fuel. Under heavier throttle it seems to be fine. When it was colder outside 0 F. to -25F. it ran great. No engine lights on or anything else. Anyone else notice this??

Quick Reply: Slight engine surge