Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sorta New Seats

Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Big IV
Senior User
Big IV is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorta New Seats

My wife didn't like her Volvo station wagon seats and has recently discovered the wonder of a pull it yourself junk yard. So, she picked up a good price on an entire set of Volvo wagon seats in black. When she gets them cleaned up and in that will leave two tan Volvo buckets that will need a home.

The 1960 F100's stock bench seat is in pretty rough shape. The springs are sagging. The foam has been converted into a rat's nest long ago. The covering is in tatters. Refoaming it could be one way of going.

At the moment I'm leaning toward putting in the Volvo buckets. I've sat them in and they're on the floor which is too low for my tastes. I'll need to make some mounting brackets but it doesn't seem like it will be much trouble. The tan buckets have manual back control and manual lumbar support. If I can get the height where I want it then it should make the truck comfy.

Cheapest and quickest seems like a good option.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 AM
mechmagcn
Diesel Junky
mechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to all
[quote=Big IV;9900047] I'll need to make some mounting brackets quote]
Sounds like a plan. One way I have found to mount buckets without building elaborate mounts is to bolt square tubing across the original mounts.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Big IV
Senior User
I'm thinking about angle iron or square tubing. Haven't decided yet. I still need to finish installing the black seats into my wife's volvo so I can get the brown buckets out and play with them.

Test sitting on the seats reveals that they will need to come up. The buckets are currently sitting lower than the brake and clutch pedals. At the moment my wife cannot see over the dash when she sits on the seats. We have played with a few block heights but are still having trouble getting her over the dash. She might just need a booster seat.

I think we can make it work.

I'm hoping the weather will be nice and we can finish her Volvo intall tomorrow. Her back seat is swapped out and replaced with the black. It looks good. We just need to do the front so I can grab her buckets. Hopefully I can start fabbing up the brackets tomorrow too. That's the rough plan.

I'd like to get the seat in so I can work on putting tires on it.

I have a tag and it is insured, so I'm getting ready to ride.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Big IV
Senior User

While I haven't coaxed the black seats into my wife's Volvo, they do work to help gauge the height I'm going to need. Here is what that looks like as I start planning ahead.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
They look fine except for the headrests. I wouldn't want those in my truck...too modern looking and detracts from the trucks classic looks.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Big IV
Senior User
GNW,
I get what you're saying about those unique Volvo headrests. They are space agey. I'm oddly fond of them. But I think they're an acquired taste. Besides, they are comfy, so I think I'll end up leaving them. They'll better to me when the seats are at the same height.

I need to go scrounge some lap belts from the self pull parts place. I'd like those to have Ford emblems, but I won't be picky. Another of those deviations from the original that I'm a fan of.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM
nice1960f250
Senior User
nice1960f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
what year is your truck

Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Big IV
Senior User
truck

1960 up front. Shortened and have an older box on the back.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
nice1960f250
Senior User
nice1960f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
thought it looked familar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.