Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

level the rear

Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
50adrod
Junior User
50adrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
level the rear

I want to level the rear of my 1950 with the front. how many rear leafs do I need to remove? I have read to remove evry other leaf. how much does this lower the rear?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 50adrod View Post
I want to level the rear of my 1950 with the front. how many rear leafs do I need to remove? I have read to remove evry other leaf. how much does this lower the rear?
Do you have a stock front suspension? Removing every other leaf won't get much...a couple of inches perhaps.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 PM
orcas tow
Freshman User
orcas tow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm a fan of raising the spring perches for a couple inch drop.
I have the Posies springs & have raised only the front spring perch, you can see my truck in my album for a reference (the pics with the chrome wheels are before the spring swap with 225 60-15's, the aluminum wheels are after with 255 60-15's)

Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 PM
50adrod
Junior User
Originally Posted by orcas tow View Post
I'm a fan of raising the spring perches for a couple inch drop.
I have the Posies springs & have raised only the front spring perch, you can see my truck in my album for a reference (the pics with the chrome wheels are before the spring swap with 225 60-15's, the aluminum wheels are after with 255 60-15's)
how do you raise the spring perches?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 PM
50adrod
Junior User
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
Do you have a stock front suspension? Removing every other leaf won't get much...a couple of inches perhaps.
yes stock front

Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
orcas tow
Freshman User
how do you raise the spring perches?
Cut the spring perch rivets, move the perch upwards so the bottom perch holes line up with the old top perch holes at the top of the frame, bolt them in, cut a piece of angle iron, lay it on top of the frame, drill your holes in the angle iron for the top perch holes, bolt & weld the angle in place.
Your just moving the perches up 2", do a search, much easier to see pictures

Old 02-12-2011, 06:32 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
yes stock front
With a stock front suspension you shouldn't have to lower the rear by more than about 3-4 inches. You could get that with a combination of removing leaves and possibly moving the spring hangers up on the frame rails. If if were not a stock front I'd recommend moving the axle above the springs and using different rear springs...

Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM
50adrod
Junior User
Originally Posted by orcas tow View Post
Cut the spring perch rivets, move the perch upwards so the bottom perch holes line up with the old top perch holes at the top of the frame, bolt them in, cut a piece of angle iron, lay it on top of the frame, drill your holes in the angle iron for the top perch holes, bolt & weld the angle in place.
Your just moving the perches up 2", do a search, much easier to see pictures
so if movining one perch gives you 2 inches? will moving both give you 4?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
orcas tow
Freshman User
so if movining one perch gives you 2 inches? will moving both give you 4?
No, moving one perch splits the difference of the height from the bottom rivets to the top rivets, I think they were 2 inches apart so only moving one would lower it 1 inch. Lowering both would give you 2 inches.
You'll need to check your pinion angle if your only raising one & may have to use a shim, the pinion angle will stay the same if you raise both.

It gives you some fine tuning by an inch after you get it close.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
50adrod
Junior User
I removed every other leaf tonight took about 1 hour, I did it without removing the main leaf from the truck. took out 5 and left 4. this gave me a 3 inch drop and leveled the truck. just what I was looking for. thanks for the input

Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
I'm kind of surprised you got that much drop. I would have thought two inches max. Glad it worked out. You will probably notice that the ride is much smoother now too.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 PM
50adrod
Junior User
I'm kind of surprised you got that much drop. I would have thought two inches max. Glad it worked out. You will probably notice that the ride is much smoother now too.
actually the ride is very bouncy now. shocks probably need replacing. I will go with air shocks so I can fine tune the ride height. the right side is 1/2 lower than the left now

Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
actually the ride is very bouncy now. shocks probably need replacing. I will go with air shocks so I can fine tune the ride height. the right side is 1/2 lower than the left now
You could try putting one leaf back in on the right side and it might even things out. You may also need shorter shocks now also due to the lowered height. When you pull your old ones check the compressed length and be sure replacements won't bottom out. Ideally, you want the ride height to be in the middle of the total expanded and total compressed length...

Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM
BACAGrizz
Posting Guru
BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.
The PO of my truck removed some of the leaves in the back of my truck and all it did was make the truck handle weird. Wallowed and leaned badly in turns. I decided the best way to fix it was to replace the spring leaves with the 4-link and use air ride.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM
50adrod
Junior User
You could try putting one leaf back in on the right side and it might even things out. You may also need shorter shocks now also due to the lowered height. When you pull your old ones check the compressed length and be sure replacements won't bottom out. Ideally, you want the ride height to be in the middle of the total expanded and total compressed length...
what leaf do you think, the longer or shorter ones

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.