1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

54 ford f100 suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
00F150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
54 ford f100 suspension ?

I just picked up a 54 f100 for a new project. I'm looking into changeing the front suspension out for something that rides better and sits lower. I'm very Interested in doing the 03up crown Vic. Has anyone here done this on the 53-56 trucks? I would like to see pics and talk to anyone that has done this swap on this truck. Thanks Jason

also I have searched and all I come up with is 60 and up trucks with this swap

Old 01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
fat fendered
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heres my 54 with an 04 i installed about a year ago

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
00F150
Freshman User
How hard was the install? Any other pics during install! Any completed pics? Would I recomend this setup for this truck or would something else be better?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
You will have 1-1/2 inches on each side measured from the wheel mounting flange on the rotor to the inside lip of the fender...that means that you must use a wheel with a massive negative offset so that you can get the wheel and tire up under the fender. I don't understand the fascination that some folks have with the CV IFS when there are so many other IFS units out there that don't have the width constraints of the CV. There have even been recent posts on this forum about how to widen the fenders to compensate for the excessive width of the CV IFS...is the CV unit that much cheaper to warrant flat rims and widened fenders? The reason you find more info on the later F100s is because the track width on the later models is better suited to the wide CV IFS.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
00F150
Freshman User
I'm open for ideas on my 54. So let me know what would work for it. The biggest thing about the new crown Vic is what other setup can u do that have larger brakes, better steering, and better ride all for under 400?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:44 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 00F150
I'm open for ideas on my 54. So let me know what would work for it. The biggest thing about the new crown Vic is what other setup can u do that have larger brakes, better steering, and better ride all for under 400?
An older CV front end graft Such as that from late 80's / earlier 90's. Here's just one of many threads on it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ne-anyone.html

Sorry, that was the wrong one....here's the one: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-in-56-f1.html

Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
f100newb
Senior User
There is a lot of discussion here on the CV swap and I am still of the mind set that the Jag is just as good from a ride and handling standpoint and is the right width for the 53-56. I have it and will be installing it this spring. I know a lot of guys here have done it and ride on it. I got a whole 86 jag for 500 and pulled the front and rear off and all the other things I needed. Also don't let people tell you the parts are hard or expensive for the jag rotors, pads and other parts. They are not.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
fat fendered
Junior User
How hard was the install? Any other pics during install! Any completed pics? Would I recomend this setup for this truck or would something else be better?
This was a pretty straightforward install. It actually bolts in, and for all the naysayers out there dont let them slow you down.This crossmember swap isnt too wide, but you will have to run an offset wheel. If you like that look, then you just got rack and pinion steering, huge disc brakes great handling with a big front swaybar, for a fraction and i do mean fraction of the cost for mostly everything else new on the market today. Ive had my truck together and drove it for a while before tearing down to do body work. it drive, rides and handles great. thats my fascination with it anyway.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
fat fendered
Junior User
heres a picture before teardown

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Looks great to me. Now to find an 03-08 CV front clip here in Winterpeg

Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
It sounds like your mind is made up...if cost is your only determining factor then by all means go for it. If you like the look of the wheels in the photo above then you're good to go. If you want a stock rim or a steelie with a hub cap then you may as well forget about it. Take a look in the tech archive section and you will learn all about the various IFS units that have been installed on these trucks...each has it's own pros and cons, you decide which pros you like and which cons you can live with. I don't have a dog in this fight...of all the people who have posted on this forum about this topic I am the only one who has actually taken measurements and related them to the 53-56 F100 chassis/body. No value judgement, no naysaying, just the facts.
Just to muddy the waters a little more...go out to a wrecking yard and take a look at how many cars have "bolt-in" IFS units. The way that cars are built today most all have a bolt-in front end. You want performance and luxury ride, try a Lexus SC400 IFS...it's the right width and they can be had at a reasonable price.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 PM
fat fendered
Junior User
Not only did i measure one i actualy installed one. Kinda cool too that this swap uses all FORD parts.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
I recognize all of us have different uses for our trucks, and whatnot. But in the pic of the pickup still in it's blue color, do you plan on running the two size wheels, or carry two spares?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 PM
fat fendered
Junior User
Originally Posted by havi
I recognize all of us have different uses for our trucks, and whatnot. But in the pic of the pickup still in it's blue color, do you plan on running the two size wheels, or carry two spares?
couldnt get my hands on 4 mustang wheels for mockup. the mustang wheels fit all the way around.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Have you swapped the wheels to see how much inside the rear fenderwell they fit? The look may or may not decide what others may do.

EDIT: I'm not one to say this swap doesn't work, I'm just saying one has to prepare for the wheel offset it involves. That affects both front and rear. As a vehicle tracks around a curve, the rear wheels if too far inward will cause a rear roll off center that causes less than ideal handling. This can be fixed by running a wider axle, or wheel spacers, wider wheel, etc... It's a bit of a science, lol.

Quick Reply: 54 ford f100 suspension ?