Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F150 Shaking/Shuddering Still! More questions:

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 AM
Feo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 F150 Shaking/Shuddering Still! More questions:

Hello all. If you remember from my last posts I was having a problem with my truck shaking (rough idle) while in park and shuddering while driving (feeling underpowererd) I have new plugs,wire,cap&rotor,fuel filter and have treated the tank with chemtool. I am wondering if my A.I.R. crossover pipe could cause a rough idle. Its the emissions tube that runs from head to head in the back of the engine. It has a check valve settin on top of it. Mine is leaking raw exhaust from the corossover tube. It doesn't only sound like crap it gets fumes in the tuck too. So I guess that's the question for now. Alsom I read a post on another site that says you can clean the injectors with compressed airbuy hooking a hose to the schrader valve! That sounds very risky to me. So I figured I would ask. Well I hope to get some good answers. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't really see the AIR tube causing a rough idle, but if its leaking you'll want to get it fixed none the less. I'm not saying it's not the cause I just don't see that as the most likely case- vacuum leak sounds more likely.

As for the shuddering, have you looked at the tranny at all? What kind of fluid are you running, does it shudder at highway or in town speed? I'm having a shuddering issue w/ my 91 F150 that's most likely from using the wrong type of fluid in the tranny.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Feo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Have checked the tranny. I originally thought that was the problem, which prompted me to put a new filter & gasket with dexron/mercon (universal) fluid. The transmission shift flawless. Doesn't chirp, squeal or make any noise. I was having the shuddering, well more like bucking problem prior to the transmission tune up. It has 86000 original miles on it. So me and a gear head buddy of mine have ruled out the trans. It just works to flawless to be that.I had a pugged fuel filter that looked like it had coffe grounds in it. The gas in it was black. It was only like a year old. Here is the link to my previous post. It should catch you up.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ease-help.html