General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

School me on delivering the mail...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke 72: I can only tell you that the road must be maintained to deliver the mail safely. For example, on my route, I had one road that served four families that was a private road. During the winter they did not plow it on a regular basis. However, I did deliver and got stuck once so badly ( ice under the snow ) that I had to get pulled out. My Postmaster sent letters to the family informing them that, unless the road was maintained regularly, they would have to put rural boxes at the end of the road. When they failed to maintain it the PO made them put the boxes up at the end of the road. Common sense would tell you that if you want mail delivery the mailman has to be able to get to the box...............

Last edited by Buck 1; 01-27-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Buck 1
Powerstroke 72: I can only tell you that the road must be maintained to deliver the mail safely. For example, on my route, I had one road that served four families that was a private road. During the winter they did not plow it on a regular basis. However, I did deliver and got stuck once so badly ( ice under the snow ) that I had to get pulled out. My Postmaster sent letters to the family informing them that, unless the road was maintained regularly, they would have to put rural boxes at the end of the road. When they failed to maintain it the PO made them put the boxes up at the end of the road. Common sense would tell you that if you want mail delivery the mailman has to be able to get to the box...............
Thanks buck. The road is maintained...just not state maintained. It is plowed whenever there is any snow on it.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the road is maintained, the carrier has no reason to refuse to deliver the mail. I would go to the local Postmaster. If they offer no help, ask them for a Complaint Form. You explain the situation and send it in. One copy to the local PO, one goes to the District Office. Funny how whenever someone requests that form the problem seems to get resolved.............

Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for that information buck. I'll suggest it to her but will leave it in her hands. It's been this way for the past 30 years that she's lived there but I do wish she could move it a little closer to the house. She is getting up in years and it makes it tougher on her getting out and about now. At the same time, a P.O. box would be completely out of the question. And despite my best efforts, she refuses to sell out and move out of the country and into town (living in town, I can't say as I blame her).

Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the mailbox is inaccessible from the road due to snow your public works department should be the one getting yelled at. Not your mail carrier.

I mean it's not public works job to shovel out just in front of the box itself but if the snow isn't plowed to the curb that is a problem with your public works department not your mail carrier.

Just my take as a private plow operator.