Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What 'sider is this?

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 AM
badger_hound
Elder User
badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What 'sider is this?

I think I get the "darksider" contingent - small block chevy engines are easy to get parts for and easy to maintain. But what about this truck:

1950 Ford pickup

MOPAR running gear? Not that I have anything against that, it just seems like it could be more expensive and harder to deal with than keeping it all ford. Still, what would this be... a "chrysider"?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:25 AM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
I think I prefer the dodge over a sbc. Even though they are both turds.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 AM
tardster
Elder User
tardster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by badger_hound View Post
I think I get the "darksider" contingent - small block chevy engines are easy to get parts for and easy to maintain. But what about this truck:

1950 Ford pickup

MOPAR running gear? Not that I have anything against that, it just seems like it could be more expensive and harder to deal with than keeping it all ford. Still, what would this be... a "chrysider"?
What you found most likely is, someone had an old Dakota and tried a body swap that didn't work for some reason and they are trying to off-load it on someone. It would probably be the same cost-wise to go all ford than try to mess with that "chrysider"...

Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 AM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Yea but if it's solid the body parts are worth what they are asking for the truck. Yank the body and find a stock F1 chassis and sell off the mopile parts. Nothing to it!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:55 AM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
Yea but if it's solid the body parts are worth what they are asking for the truck. Yank the body and find a stock F1 chassis and sell off the mopile parts. Nothing to it!
Very true...

Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 AM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
iwanaflattie has a good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a good reputation on FTE.
I think I prefer the dodge over a sbc. Even though they are both turds.
that hurt ......ok im better now

Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 AM
fordman75
Postmaster
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie View Post
that hurt ......ok im better now
Sometimes the truth hurts!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 AM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
iwanaflattie has a good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a good reputation on FTE.
i know...i wouldnt mind a slant 6

Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Considering some NOS fenders went for over $1000 each on ebay the other day. I would say snag it and think about what to do later.
If you get in a pinch you can part it out. Of course that would mean one less of these beauties on the road, which would not be good...

Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 AM
fordman75
Postmaster
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie View Post
i know...i wouldnt mind a slant 6
No thanks! I had one but a connecting rod decided it liked being outside of the engine block better then the inside. So you can have all the leaning towers of power! If I want an inline 6 I'll stick with a 240/300 Ford. They are next to impossible to kill!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 AM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
No thanks! I had one but a connecting rod decided it liked being outside of the engine block better then the inside. So you can have all the leaning towers of power! If I want an inline 6 I'll stick with a 240/300 Ford. They are next to impossible to kill!
dammit i knew i shoulda grabbed one that was for sale 300 i think.rebuilt for 300 bucks

Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 AM
tardster
Elder User
I have an old inline 6 250 or 300 dunno which for sure but if someone wanted it I'd be happy to give it a new home if they came to pick it up...

Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
My dad's 94 work truck has a 300 straight six. He crossed 3 pretty big mountains each day for 15 years on a 46 mile one-way commute. Truck has 320,000 plus miles on it. So far, 2 alternators, 1 water pump, a set of plugs, and a whole lot of oil changes and brake jobs. IMHO, the absolute toughest engine Ford ever made.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader
harleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to beholdharleymsn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
My dad's 94 work truck has a 300 straight six. He crossed 3 pretty big mountains each day for 15 years on a 46 mile one-way commute. Truck has 320,000 plus miles on it. So far, 2 alternators, 1 water pump, a set of plugs, and a whole lot of oil changes and brake jobs. IMHO, the absolute toughest engine Ford ever made.
Lousy on gas, but indestructible.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
hellfirejim is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hate to be the one to tell you this but if it is not original, You are on the darkside. That also includes those with the $15,000 aftermarket chassis.

As for motors I prefer not normally chosen motors such as a 300 six or a 500 inch caddy or whatever rocks your boat. However I do prefer the same motor family that matches the body, IE ford in ford etc.

Probably most important is that one of these beauties is out there driving.

jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What 'sider is this?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.