Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What 'sider is this?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
iwanaflattie has a good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by hellfirejim View Post
I hate to be the one to tell you this but if it is not original, You are on the darkside. That also includes those with the $15,000 aftermarket chassis.

As for motors I prefer not normally chosen motors such as a 300 six or a 500 inch caddy or whatever rocks your boat. However I do prefer the same motor family that matches the body, IE ford in ford etc.

Probably most important is that one of these beauties is out there driving.

jim
nailed it dude

Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
tazcliff
Junior User
tazcliff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by badger_hound View Post
I think I get the "darksider" contingent - small block chevy engines are easy to get parts for and easy to maintain. But what about this truck:

1950 Ford pickup

MOPAR running gear? Not that I have anything against that, it just seems like it could be more expensive and harder to deal with than keeping it all ford. Still, what would this be... a "chrysider"?
Bager are you looking into purchasing the truck?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
cmoritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
..once all that good sheetmetal is stashed in the garage, ..the rest is an 'outsider'..

even scapers gotta make a livin..

Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tardster View Post
I have an old inline 6 250 or 300 dunno which for sure but if someone wanted it I'd be happy to give it a new home if they came to pick it up...
The 250 is a completely different animal then the 300. The 250 is the biggest of the "small 6" engine family. They have intake manifolds that are cast as part of the cylinder head. A lot of people call the intake on these engines "logs" because that's what they look like. The 240 and 300's are the big 6's. The 240 has a desirable cylinder head. It is the same head as a carbed 300 head but it has a smaller combustion chamber. putting the 240 head on the 300 bumps up the compression and thus the power.

Originally Posted by hellfirejim View Post
I hate to be the one to tell you this but if it is not original, You are on the darkside. That also includes those with the $15,000 aftermarket chassis.

As for motors I prefer not normally chosen motors such as a 300 six or a 500 inch caddy or whatever rocks your boat. However I do prefer the same motor family that matches the body, IE ford in ford etc.

Probably most important is that one of these beauties is out there driving.

jim

I'm sorry but my opinion is the 500 caddy doesn't belong under the hood of any Ford! If you want to run a 500 caddy build an ugly gm product.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
homade
Posting Guru
homade has a very good reputation on FTE.homade has a very good reputation on FTE.homade has a very good reputation on FTE.homade has a very good reputation on FTE.
The truck doesn't look bad at all, are you interested in buying it, as for the dodge cahssie swap, it is one of the best swaps for drivablelity, I know a number of these swaps and they really work well if done right they handle great and ride like a dream.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
councilman
Senior User
councilman is starting off with a positive reputation.
And remember while at the parts store when asked model, make, year, cubic inch just tell'em it doesn't matter it's a chebby there all the same.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Mervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to behold
Yup, like Fordman said, I would snag the truck, yank out the mopey stuff and sell it. There are lots of OE frames left behind from other guys that have frame swapped. Then you can build the truck that you really want. As for the body metal you have a small little gold mine there if you part it.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 AM
badger_hound
Elder User
badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lonnnnnnnnnng day done.

Originally Posted by tazcliff View Post
Bager are you looking into purchasing the truck?
Always on the lookout for a good deal but this one is a little too far away. It just struck me has an odd build - I agree it looks like an opportunistic use of an old dakota the seller had on hand. Of course we are all dreaming of the big fender score after that ebay auction, but in my limited experience what I've seen (and purchased) in this price range doesn't compare to NOS. Typical rust, typical spots most likely although the photos look good. BUT nothing compares to a good close up look, of course.

BTW - I haven't seen a slant six since 1991... They used to be considered a good engine back then. That said, there were still chrysler k cars on the road and I don't remember the last time I saw one of those 'gems' recently.

Last edited by badger_hound; 01-27-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: I can't spell worth a crap sometimes and I'm tired
Old 01-28-2011, 10:06 AM
95stepside
Elder User
95stepside is a name known to all95stepside is a name known to all95stepside is a name known to all95stepside is a name known to all95stepside is a name known to all95stepside is a name known to all
i got to work on one of those awesome k cars last week. teacher pulled it it in the shop and i just started laughing. red green came to mind for a minute there...

Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 PM
tardster
Elder User
tardster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
The 250 is a completely different animal then the 300. The 250 is the biggest of the "small 6" engine family. They have intake manifolds that are cast as part of the cylinder head. A lot of people call the intake on these engines "logs" because that's what they look like. The 240 and 300's are the big 6's. The 240 has a desirable cylinder head. It is the same head as a carbed 300 head but it has a smaller combustion chamber. putting the 240 head on the 300 bumps up the compression and thus the power.
Theres a pic of the old motor in my gallery, it ran when I pulled it out but it made some real nice sounds when I was stopped at a stop sign. I'm sure a rebuild and it would be a nice motor again, I just wanted that V8 back in my truck...

Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tardster View Post
Theres a pic of the old motor in my gallery, it ran when I pulled it out but it made some real nice sounds when I was stopped at a stop sign. I'm sure a rebuild and it would be a nice motor again, I just wanted that V8 back in my truck...
Your six was the small six. They can be built up pretty good with an expensive aftermarket head. I think you made a smart choice going to the V8!