1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Turlock CA Swap meet

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 AM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turlock CA Swap meet

Is this weekend, is anyone planning on attending?

Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I wish! Booked through the weekend though.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll be there bright and early waiting in line to get in.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM
dalmeida
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been before but thinking about attending. Has anyone made any good finds at this one? What vendors are present? Is Saturday better than Sunday? What's the attendance like?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by dalmeida
I haven't been before but thinking about attending. Has anyone made any good finds at this one? What vendors are present? Is Saturday better than Sunday? What's the attendance like?
It has been many years since I have been to one so we will see, the turlock one has been for many years.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
I went only to meet a guy in the parking lot last year(sold me a T-86). Little did I know that it was an annual thing. I would have asked my friend who gave me a ride to stay a little longer. I thought it was a weekly or monthly thing.

I'd love to go, but 190 miles in a truck that has to be pushed to go 55 and get's 15mpg ...........asking a bit too much.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
It's a huge swap meet. There are about 4 or 5 of them at the same location throughout the year. They're usually run by two or three different people or organizations through out the year. However, this first swap meet is the biggest and best. It usually kicks off the swap meet season in northern and central California. There's also a spring, summer and fall swap meet held over there. I usually go to each one and find good deals. Generally, the better deals are at the swap meets held throughout the rest of the year.

It normally rains the week of or on the weekend of the swap meet, so it could be muddy and cold. However, I don't think that it has rained there in a few weeks, so the ground should be dry. The swap meet is held all over the fairgrounds, so the area is grassy, paved and in the barn stalls.

Like any swap meet, you never know what you'll find. A lot of people buy and sell at this swap meet. There's usually a line forming by the entrance early in the morning to get in I'll probably be there waiting in line around 6am. It doesn't open until 7am, I think.

Get there early to get parking across the street from the entrance. Otherwise, you'll have to park a few blocks away and walk or take a shuttle.

If you plan on buying something large, the crew will haul your purchase to their storage site and give you a claim check to pick up your items when you're done with the swap meet.

If you do go, wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to spend half the day there.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM
dalmeida
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
There's usually a line forming by the entrance early in the morning to get in I'll probably be there waiting in line around 6am. It doesn't open until 7am, I think.
In line at 6AM. That would mean you're on the road between 3-4AM. I'm thinking maybe just a little later than that....My wife suggested we try 5AM. I said yes just to see if it were possible to get her cute butt out of bed before sunrise. Let's just say I'm not expecting to be woken up with the smell of coffee. More likely it will be my dog wanting to go out and get the newspaper about 5:30 but we'll see.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
It takes about an hour-and-a-half to get there from my house in the Cambrian area of San Jose. I go through Pleasanton and take 580 out to highway 132 through Modesto and then 99 south. Don't take the southern route through Gilroy. It'll take you another 30-45 minutes extra.

It gets really crazy out there with traffic, parking and streets being closed off. If it's your first time, I strongly suggest you get there early.

I usually pack the truck with my wagon and snacks the night before, wake up at 4am and hit the road at 4:30am.

You're welcome to come with me if you want to ditch the wife and be at my house that early, but be prepared to walk every inch of the swap meet.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
It takes about an hour-and-a-half to get there from my house in the Cambrian area of San Jose. I go through Pleasanton and take 580 out to highway 132 through Modesto and then 99 south. Don't take the southern route through Gilroy. It'll take you another 30-45 minutes extra.

It gets really crazy out there with traffic, parking and streets being closed off. If it's your first time, I strongly suggest you get there early.

I usually pack the truck with my wagon and snacks the night before, wake up at 4am and hit the road at 4:30am.

You're welcome to come with me if you want to ditch the wife and be at my house that early, but be prepared to walk every inch of the swap meet.
Its been pretty foggy here especially around 132

Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
It is usually is foggy on 132 right around where it runs along the creek. The fog continues out to Modesto and then thins out. However, it may linger for a longer distance.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Herbiehusker
Senior User
I live about 15 minutes south of Turlock and I attend every swap meet they have. This one is by far the biggest of all the meets. It's the only two day event. I have found that Saturday is the best day to attend if you are looking at being able to see the biggest selection of "stuff." However, Sunday afternoon is when the best deals take place. (Normal for every swap meet) The fog in the Central Valley has been bad this past week and looks like it is going to continue through the weekend. We haven't had any rain for a few weeks, so the fair grounds should be in pretty good shape. Now the forecast calls for a chance of rain Saturday night into Sunday morning, and if that happens, bring some old shoes....the place will be a mud pit.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Oakroadjoe
Senior User
Went last year!!

Went last year ,and is mush better than spring,summer,fall,meets(i do all of them). The FOG could be a problem,so take it slow.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 PM
dalmeida
Junior User
Just got back from the Turlock Swap meet. It was massive! It was cold and dry with a lot of people. Seemed to me to have more of a representation for the Chevy, GM side of things but there were some Ford parts to be had just not anything I needed at the moment. There was a reproduction parts vendor Classic Truck Partsthat I hadn't heard about before. Had some pretty good stuff including sheet metal, grilles, Glide Engineering seat frames and with pricing about the same as Midfifty.com but with free shipping for orders above $350. They're in Orange CA. There were many cars and trucks for sale some really sweet rides and very good deals to be had. I'm going back again for sure with shopping list and a plan next time.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
Just got back from the Turlock Swap meet. It was massive! It was cold and dry with a lot of people. Seemed to me to have more of a representation for the Chevy, GM side of things but there were some Ford parts to be had just not anything I needed at the moment. There was a reproduction parts vendor Classic Truck Partsthat I hadn't heard about before. Had some pretty good stuff including sheet metal, grilles, Glide Engineering seat frames and with pricing about the same as Midfifty.com but with free shipping for orders above $350. They're in Orange CA. There were many cars and trucks for sale some really sweet rides and very good deals to be had. I'm going back again for sure with shopping list and a plan next time.
I agree, the one vendor I found with some parts I needed was disappointing, although I did find a tool tray, extra por 15 and an intake for my 302

Quick Reply: Turlock CA Swap meet