1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for the right new truck, please help with my questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Gruffid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for the right new truck, please help with my questions

Hi,

I'm not a FORD guy yet, but I've been doing a lot of research. Specifically, I'm looking to purchase a 2011+ (I'm not on a short time-line) F350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, Diesel, 4x4, SRW truck. As you can imagine, I still have at least a few questions:

1. Is there a real reason why the following options are incompatible:
- 3.31 electronic locking axle ratio
- 20" wheels
- Camper Package
Apparently, according to the "build-it" feature on the Ford website, they cannot be ordered together. Why? And is there a way to get around the ordering restrictions and get them on the truck anyway. We are considering a slide-in camper - that's why the camper package is important to me. However, the truck will be mostly a daily driver and the 3.31 axles and 20" wheels will provide better fuel economy over the 3.55 axle and/or the 18" wheels. And I actually like how the 20's look.

2. Is there a reason why Ford doesn't publish curb weights? I have a printed brochure, and I've scoured the Ford website. I can't find them. I was able to get a shipping weight from a truck on a local dealer's lot, but that's not exactly the same thing - is it? To make up for that, I just took the GVWR and subtracted the payload to give me a notional curb weight. Is there a better way to get the Curb weights?

3. If you look at the GVWR chart, each axle ratio has several different GVW ratings. How do you know which one you're going to get? After looking at several window stickers, I've seen the GVWR posted on the options list, but how do you select a particular one? And yes, I've seen the 10,000 lb GVWR option in the "Build it" site, but it seems that this selection actually *reduces* the capability, as it could actually be 11,500 lbs for the SRW. Why does Ford even have this as an option?

If any of you have any answers to those questions, or can give a good reference place to do some more research, or just want to say "hi", please respond.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Start with the camper package and heavy service front, then select the available axles remaining. That low ration with 20's and locking is not available for max gvw. If you select 18 rims, might be able to, there is also a limit on capacity of the 20's compared to 18's. They just don't waant to high ration with 20 rims and camper pack. Don't worry to much, remember 6 speed now has 2 od gears.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Gruffid
New User
Ok, well, let's just say I bought the truck with 3.55 axles and I wanted to put the 3.31 ratios in after I bought the truck. About how much would that run me? How difficult would it be to adjust the speedometer/abs, etc.? How much heartburn would the Ford Dealerships give me for having changed it?

On my previous GM trucks I had, they only had 3.73 gears, and there was no option to change the wheels/tires. If you did change any of that, some dealerships would be OK with it, while others would throw a fit and try to void your warranty. It was even to the point that some stores like Walmart wouldn't even sell tires to GM truck owners that weren't the factory sizes.

I also remember something like if you tried to change the tire sizes, you could adjust the speedometer, but the ABS system still treated them like the original sizes and so wouldn't work exactly right.

That's why I'm asking about the mods and the dealer having fits about them.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gruffid
Hi,

I'm not a FORD guy yet, but I've been doing a lot of research. Specifically, I'm looking to purchase a 2011+ (I'm not on a short time-line) F350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, Diesel, 4x4, SRW truck. As you can imagine, I still have at least a few questions:

1. Is there a real reason why the following options are incompatible:
- 3.31 electronic locking axle ratio
- 20" wheels
- Camper Package
Apparently, according to the "build-it" feature on the Ford website, they cannot be ordered together. Why? And is there a way to get around the ordering restrictions and get them on the truck anyway. We are considering a slide-in camper - that's why the camper package is important to me. However, the truck will be mostly a daily driver and the 3.31 axles and 20" wheels will provide better fuel economy over the 3.55 axle and/or the 18" wheels. And I actually like how the 20's look.

2. Is there a reason why Ford doesn't publish curb weights? I have a printed brochure, and I've scoured the Ford website. I can't find them. I was able to get a shipping weight from a truck on a local dealer's lot, but that's not exactly the same thing - is it? To make up for that, I just took the GVWR and subtracted the payload to give me a notional curb weight. Is there a better way to get the Curb weights?

3. If you look at the GVWR chart, each axle ratio has several different GVW ratings. How do you know which one you're going to get? After looking at several window stickers, I've seen the GVWR posted on the options list, but how do you select a particular one? And yes, I've seen the 10,000 lb GVWR option in the "Build it" site, but it seems that this selection actually *reduces* the capability, as it could actually be 11,500 lbs for the SRW. Why does Ford even have this as an option?

If any of you have any answers to those questions, or can give a good reference place to do some more research, or just want to say "hi", please respond.
1. I believe the reasoning for that would be with the high gears, large wheels and the heavy load of the camper, they're worried about the longevity of the drivetrain under the higher stress that would bring. I also don't know what the weight rating of the factory tires for the 20" wheels is, but that may factor it too. I think that with the six speed, and the new 6.7 diesel, your mileage would still be pretty good even with the lower 3.55 gears. I'd prefer those anyway if I was planning on occasionally carrying a camper. It would make it much nicer while doing so, with less shifting and strain on the trans.

2. I don't know.

3. I don't know the answer to that one either.

Hi. Welcome. I'm sure you'll love your Ford whichever axle you get.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
Oh, and changing gears and getting all the systems to recognize it is gonna cost a little more'n pocket change, but I'd expect you could get it done. However, I'd guess the dealer would treat it about the same as if you put a lift on it as far as warranty issues go. They all love to use aftermarket modifications to get out of warranty obligations.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:54 AM
DWilliams27
New User
Originally Posted by CraigOutdoors
Oh, and changing gears and getting all the systems to recognize it is gonna cost a little more'n pocket change, but I'd expect you could get it done. However, I'd guess the dealer would treat it about the same as if you put a lift on it as far as warranty issues go. They all love to use aftermarket modifications to get out of warranty obligations.
You do know that the dealership isn't the one that is responsible for the warranty or covering anything, right? It is all sent to Ford for approval, nothing is up to the dealer's discretion. If you've been told otherwise by an employee at a dealership then I suggest you call Ford and have a little talk with them.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 AM
bigblue61
Senior User
Originally Posted by DWilliams27
You do know that the dealership isn't the one that is responsible for the warranty or covering anything, right? It is all sent to Ford for approval, nothing is up to the dealer's discretion. If you've been told otherwise by an employee at a dealership then I suggest you call Ford and have a little talk with them.

I wouldn't say that exactly. I view it as such, ford comprises the legislative arm of the law and the dealers represent the executive. I think the dealerships do have discretion on some areas. I have been to different dealers and gotten many different answers about the same problems. There was a thread on here just a while ago about one dealership not covering a rusted part or something of that nature. In my experience no two dealerships are the same. But as mentioned above any damage to your vehicle clearly caused by modifications is absolutely going to give you headaches.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 AM
DWilliams27
New User
Originally Posted by bigblue61
I wouldn't say that exactly. I view it as such, ford comprises the legislative arm of the law and the dealers represent the executive. I think the dealerships do have discretion on some areas. I have been to different dealers and gotten many different answers about the same problems. There was a thread on here just a while ago about one dealership not covering a rusted part or something of that nature. In my experience no two dealerships are the same. But as mentioned above any damage to your vehicle clearly caused by modifications is absolutely going to give you headaches.
Well I worked at a dealership in the service department, and I know for a fact that they are required to get approvals before something can be covered under warranty. So it doesn't matter what someone at the dealer is telling you, and all they have to do is go to FMC Dealer, enter your VIN and run and Oasis Report and go to part coverage and type in the part number, it'll bring up the Warranty coverages, and whether or not that particular part is covered under ANY available warranties purchased through Ford. So if you are hearing otherwise, that dealer needs to be reported to Ford / BBB.

And if it is a suspect part that may require a picture to be taken, they have Digital Imaging Prior Approvals that have to be turned in as well. The suspect/warranty parts are also shipped back to Ford for inspection and verification that it wasn't a customer created issue, never had one returned so I don't know what happens in the event that it turned out to be customer negligence/intentional damage.

Last edited by DWilliams27; 01-24-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Digital Image Info.