1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

changed fuel filter - won't start 97 PSD 7.3L

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 PM
baconmobile
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changed fuel filter - won't start 97 PSD 7.3L

Hi. Hope somebody can give me a tip. I changed the fuel filter on my 97 PSD 7.3L. Filled the fuel bowl with fuel. Cranked it and it ran for a few minutes until it sounded like the fuel pump lost prime and then the engine cut out. Topped the fuel bowl, cranked again and it cranks but no start. Repeated topping fuel bowl and cranking several more times, but still no start. Is there a trick to getting this thing to prime?

Scanned forums but didn't find this info. I'm sure it's been discussed, but I didn't spot it.

Thanks
Ray

Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
baconmobile
New User
Update:
Still no good. No longer sounds like air just spinning and spinning running down the batteries. Some white smoke coming out of the pipe. Checked the oil and it was a quart low. Topped that off, but still no fire.

Any advice very welcome, I need to drive it tomorrow. Thanks Ray

Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay how about a little more history

Was it running before you changed it? If so check fuse 22 under the hood if its blown then the fuel bowl heating element may have shorted out.
Check that.

If the filter was extreamly dirty and you changed it then debris from under the fuel bowl heater element can float up and foul the return vent that is at the top of the fuel bowl on the right hand side.

Any other info you have on how it was running and what every elese you did at the time post that too.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
baconmobile
New User
Hi DRRXR, thanks for you reply.

Yes it was running before I changed the filter. I noticed a slight chug while driving this morning - like a miss in a gas engine. Been a few oil changes since I changed the fuel filter so I figured that was the problem. Been running fine up to now. The filter was kind of gunky, but not excessively so. Didn't see any junk left behind when I pulled it, but I'll look again. Is the FP supposed to self prime somehow? I've never gotten it to do so in all of the filter changes that I've done (admit I am self taught with the mechanics of this truck). I've always had a bad time getting the air purged. Usually have to add fuel to the bowl a few times until it catches, but never like this.

Haven't checked that fuse, but will do that right now.

Thanks again

Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Wow, I have never had to fill filter housing more than the first time. Wish I could help you, sounds like fuel pump may be gone but please wait for a more knowledgeable person to chime in.

Good Luck,
Paul

Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM
baconmobile
New User
The fuse is fine.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
The heater element sits on that plate under the fuel filter stand pipe. The crud can collect there and then float up over the return vent that has a screen over it. If the screen is fouled out then that can create starting issues. IT can be cleaned with a Q-tip. Then if you want to remove the stand pipe then that takes a bent 7/8" wrench and the threads are backwards. So righty is loosing it. Then dont ever apply any pressure to the stand pipe as its a composite plastic and it will snapp off on you which is not good.

I go by Rocky that Dr. Rail Road thing is getting old to me. lol

Last edited by DRRXR; 01-22-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fat fingers really FAT lol
Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
GOOD
Then it was running when yuo stopped it and then you just pulled the top and replace the filter and then filled it with diesel and now it wont start right?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Locate the shrader valve near the water sensor. Use a cheap air pressure gauge and have some one turn it over while you check the pressure on the fuel to the FPR.

Its right next to the FRP. But my thoughts are that you have some trash in the vent and the FPR.

What temperature is it there?

Your pressure should run around 40 to 60 mine runs about 75 but I ahve tinkered with mine.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 PM
baconmobile
New User
Ok Rocky, pleased to meet you.

That's right - ran like a top. I drive lots of miles daily and haven't had a hiccup til this morning (lately). I pulled the filter element and dropped a new one in, filled the bowl, cranked up, let it run until it started banging with air. Shut it down, refilled the bowl, cranked again but no start. At this point I have poured almost a full gallon through the bowl. It's pretty obvious that I'm getting nowhere with this method so that's where I have left off for now.

Ray

Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 PM
baconmobile
New User
I'm in central NC and it's pretty cold here - mid 20s today, but I have the block heater plugged in. I'll check the pressure ASAP.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
I gotta run right now. Some of you other dawgs jump in here and give him a hand. The banging with air does not sound right to me. Never experienced that at all.

Hope you did not accidently damage the ICP wires. See yall later.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
baconmobile
New User
Thanks a lot for your advice. See you around.
Ray

Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
When you turn the key on do you have a wait to start light and does the RPM tac move will cranking

Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 AM
baconmobile
New User
Hi Mike
The wait light comes on and the tach moves up. I couldn't get the HPO plug out to look at that level. I had forgotten completely about the schrader air bleed - that's been a key on previous filter changes. So I'll be working with that this morning after I get the batteries charged up a little. I have a veggie system on this truck so the return vent is blocked off and the only way I know of to get air out is through the schrader. Air has always been a problem with this system, but this time around seems different - much worse than usual.

Quick Reply: changed fuel filter - won't start 97 PSD 7.3L