1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best Hood Tilt Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:38 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
these tilt kit threads are dangerous (to my wallet) . I can see one in my crystal ball...someday.
Your not wrong , I want one for my 56 but I'm not paying $800 plus for a kit here in Australia .
Would probably still be cheaper to buy a kit from Mid Fifty and pay the shipping to Aus .

Old 02-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I really know for sure is I want to get rid of the rear stock hinge set up. I love the look, but hate the hassle of stock hinges and "patting" down the hood. Im looking at Mike Chesser, No Limit, or Mid Fifty MMB which I believe is a CPP.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Frank Cervantes
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 53FOPAR
I also have the No Limit kit. IMO, yes it was hard to align. I spent the better part of a month screwing with it before I was happy with the alignment. Ended up taking the front fenders off and dropping them down about an inch to get the fender alignment right. Second, yes I have had it jump off the guide when closing. Chipped the paint on the passenger fender.

I can close it by myself, not a problem.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't.

I can't comment on the CCP kit personally, but I've talked to some other owners who liked it and and fewer problems than I seemed to have had with the No Limit.
I agree . This was my first experience installing the no limit tilt kit so I did watch the video on you tube , I am still currently installing the kit after pre fitting fenders and hood prior to paint
and disassembling and reassembly after paint .
my experience was not a pleasant one . After
making many adjustments to have the hood fit properly.

I also had the unpleasant experience of the hood come off the rollers and chip the paint .
Even with careful consideration of that possibility of happening by taping the edges and placing thick towels , the invetable happened , the hood came off the roller and came down hard and chipped paint .
I am sure I will get it eventually but don't expect to get it on the first try. Or even the second.
If I do it again I would look at other kits and talk to people .

Last edited by Frank Cervantes; 01-30-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Old thread revisited.. I have the CPP kit on my panel and never had a problem but did have to curl over the back section of the hood both sides where it wanted to rub the lacing at the cowl. I also eliminated the lacing to the cowl and applied a stick on lacing to the underside of the hood and a clear vinyl on the cowl to protect the paint.
For my pickup I made a copy of the CPP kit , it's in my build thread..

Old 03-05-2024, 12:57 AM
Travis1956
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse tilt hood kits

Originally Posted by 53FOPAR
I also have the No Limit kit. IMO, yes it was hard to align. I spent the better part of a month screwing with it before I was happy with the alignment. Ended up taking the front fenders off and dropping them down about an inch to get the fender alignment right. Second, yes I have had it jump off the guide when closing. Chipped the paint on the passenger fender.

I can close it by myself, not a problem.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't.

I can't comment on the CCP kit personally, but I've talked to some other owners who liked it and and fewer problems than I seemed to have had with the No Limit.
So how do you like it I thought about ordering but thinking about eddie motorsports billet hood hinges instead herd to many horror stories o. Thr told hood kits

Old 03-05-2024, 12:58 AM
Travis1956
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
There are pros and cons to both styles...the MMB/CCP only has a roller on the hood side which is clean. That said, it has a curved rod assembly that is bolted to the fender that I find to be "in the way" when servicing the engine. The No Limit kit has a bracket that bolts to the hood and a roller assembly that bolts to the factory hinge mounts on the firewall. The firewall mount keeps the assembly up out of the way AND it hides the original hinge bolt holes.
I suggest that you look at both on various trucks and see which works best for you...as for my experience, truck owners will defend whichever system they own. I have yet to run into a truck owner that says that they regret buying the tilt kit that they have on their truck.
So how do you like it I thought about ordering but thinking about eddie motorsports billet hood hinges instead herd to many horror stories o. Thr told hood kits

Old 03-05-2024, 05:35 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I have the EMS billet hinges for my 56, unfortunately that project has languished and I haven't gotten to the point where I have them installed. I am tired of seeing every slant cab with a 56 grille so my 56 has a 53 grille....by the same token, I am tired of seeing all the front tilt hoods, that's why I went with the rear tilt EMS design. Nothing wrong with the rear tilt just as long as it works properly...I have a low profile cross flow radiator so leaning across the radiator to service the engine bay is not a problem either.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:51 AM
Travis1956
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I have the EMS billet hinges for my 56, unfortunately that project has languished and I haven't gotten to the point where I have them installed. I am tired of seeing every slant cab with a 56 grille so my 56 has a 53 grille....by the same token, I am tired of seeing all the front tilt hoods, that's why I went with the rear tilt EMS design. Nothing wrong with the rear tilt just as long as it works properly...I have a low profile cross flow radiator so leaning across the radiator to service the engine bay is not a problem either.
now do you have a 56 ford truck i jnow this is a ford page but i have a 56 chevy 3100 mint im a ford guy but all thrn 50s era trucks and cars are sexy AF

Old 03-05-2024, 05:54 AM
Travis1956
4th Gear
Originally Posted by seaves46
Your not wrong , I want one for my 56 but I'm not paying $800 plus for a kit here in Australia .
Would probably still be cheaper to buy a kit from Mid Fifty and pay the shipping to Aus .
yes 800$ is exspensive but damb what isn't exspensive anymore I just hope the crap I buy for my hobby show truck isn't made in CHINA F' China