1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Auto hubs disengaging?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Auto hubs disengaging?

Is there a sure fire way to verify if my hubs have disengaged? Normally I can tell but I'm questioning it right now. Been using the 4x4 a lot lately and wanna verify...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grab the front driveshaft. You should be able to turn it in 2wd with the hubs unlocked

Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Much thanks sir

Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Mine did not turn much before the automatic hubs locked.

Usually less than 1/4 turn.

Kinda a bummer you have to jack a wheel up to get the drive shaft around far enough you can grease a U joint in the drive shaft or axle.

I am much happier with the manual hubs now though.

Locked is locked, Free is free, no wondering involved.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Mine did not turn much before the automatic hubs locked.

Usually less than 1/4 turn.

Kinda a bummer you have to jack a wheel up to get the drive shaft around far enough you can grease a U joint in the drive shaft or axle.

I am much happier with the manual hubs now though.

Locked is locked, Free is free, no wondering involved.
I would hate having to get out and lock in each hub every time I needed 4x4. I'd happily repair my auto hubs anytime theres a problem with them before id stick manuals on there. am I the only one who actually likes the auto hubs? never had any problems with them. they lock in when I want them to, they unlock anytime I want them to.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just drove from the middle of NC all the way back to Lubbock Texas with the hubs locked. I've done it from San Diego to Adak Alaska and back too. It doesn't hurt anything. Just shift in and out of 4 wheel as needed. Unlock them when the roads are clear. You don't need to unlock them every time you shift it out.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I like mine Ken. I've never had an issue with them.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Problem with auto hubs.

WV is not much for flat ground and we do have our fair share of ice and snow, plus a little.
Ice this morning, snow everywhere from last week, and drizzle with the temps dropping right now.

So you are out driving up a steep hill and their is a patch of ice/snow in front of you and you start spinning.

With auto hubs, stop the truck, put the lever in 4x4 and start out again, in 4x4.
With manual hubs already locked in, let off the throttle to stop spinning, pull it in 4x4 and drive on like nothing happened.

If you stop on the side of a hill with snow on it around here, either someone will run into you cause they can't stop or shoot you because now they are hung up.

Maybe mine were not working like they should have been, but the only way I could get them to lock was stop before selecting 4x4, then start off again.

My 97 hubs have been locked in since December first, the 86 hubs have been locked in since August last year.

Yes it burns a little more fuel, but not being a traffic hazzard when you need to lock the front hubs in is worth every penny.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 PM
redman84
Postmaster
So would it be true that if I jacked up one wheel and it spins freely that they are also unlocked? The front drive shaft rotates 1/4 -1/2 a turn like dave was saying. I like the convenience of my autos and have never had any trouble. I think they are fine now to but I had a moment of doubt.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
So you are out driving up a steep hill and their is a patch of ice/snow in front of you and you start spinning.

With auto hubs, stop the truck, put the lever in 4x4 and start out again, in 4x4.
Only have to do this once. Auto hubs stay locked until you reverse in 2HI. So if you anticipate needing 4x4 on a given trip, launch in 4HI to lock the hubs in, then shift back to 2HI. Rest of the trip, you can shift from 2HI to 4HI just like with manual hubs. No annoying/dangerous stopping needed.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Mine must have been malfunctioning.
Stop and lock them in, shift to 2 hi and within a couple miles if I needed 4x4 again, stop and start out again.

They did eat themselves right before Thankgiving, and given the price and problems, I converted to manual hubs.

And I am actually much happier since I did.

One thought here, back up to unlock the hubs.

So when you start down a slick hill, do the hubs unlock and then relock when the engine braking and sliding rear wheels puts a torque load on them?