Sponsored by:

Cargo Barriers for a 2002 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
VegiePower
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cargo Barriers for a 2002 Excursion

Hi. Just wondering what people are using for cargo barriers in the Excursion.

Thanks
Torie

Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
AAA_in_OR
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested in this too. Anyone come up with anything decent?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:40 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a few out there, I know I've seen a couple guys running them...
Ford Excursion Pet Barriers

Old 12-08-2011, 04:05 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No cargo barrier is going to be effective in a serious crash unless you weld in iron bars behind the third row seat. You're only kidding yourself if you think a cheap impromptu cargo barrier is going to prevent a 35 pound suitcase from flying through the passenger compartment in a serious crash. I have seen crashes where people are more seriosuly inured by flying objects within the passenger compartment than they are by the crash alone.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM
AAA_in_OR
5th Wheeling
Got to agree partially, the pet style ones are garbage.
Welding to the vehicle would be an extremely poor choice of installation. Most quality barriers are bolt in affair and work just fine. Anything out of Australia is excellent as they're required to get them tested there before sale. A good example would be those made by Milford. Problem is most of the manufacturers don't make them to fit an excursion.

Originally Posted by VaSheriff
No cargo barrier is going to be effective in a serious crash unless you weld in iron bars behind the third row seat. You're only kidding yourself if you think a cheap impromptu cargo barrier is going to prevent a 35 pound suitcase from flying through the passenger compartment in a serious crash. I have seen crashes where people are more seriosuly inured by flying objects within the passenger compartment than they are by the crash alone.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

A good nylon webbed cargo net mounted to the cargo hooks is what I have been looking for.......need a smaller size

Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Having to respond to lots of crashes I completely agree. Any suggestions on how you secure your cargo? I have looked at several barriers but have not seen one I like yet. Trying to decide if I want to built one or not. I just strap the suitcaes to the tie downs on the floor right now.
Has anyone got pics of what they are using? Going on a 4000 mile trip next week So I would love suggestions of how to secure cargo that is easier then strapping everything to the floor.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could get a cargo net. Use the tie downs to secure the net.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 AM
bigzirb
Elder User
Yeah, I'm wondering if someone has a barrier between the 3rd row seat and the cargo area that will prevent the stuff in the cargo area from flying into the passenger area. I am trying to get away from straping and unstraping everything each time we stop and someone "needs" something from their bag. I'm picturing something tthat creates a barrier so I can throw the bags in and if we have an accident it will keep them from flying forward.
Probably dreaming too big, but thats why I got the Ex in the first place. Go big or go home.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:27 AM
freesoul
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigzirb
Yeah, I'm wondering if someone has a barrier between the 3rd row seat and the cargo area that will prevent the stuff in the cargo area from flying into the passenger area. I am trying to get away from straping and unstraping everything each time we stop and someone "needs" something from their bag. I'm picturing something tthat creates a barrier so I can throw the bags in and if we have an accident it will keep them from flying forward.
Probably dreaming too big, but thats why I got the Ex in the first place. Go big or go home.
Get some expanded metal, reinforce it with angle iron and bolt it in.

Pet barriers are to keep your pets contained in a certain area.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Swagtastic
Junior User
Yo lighten up bro, maybe he just wants to use it like a pet barrier. Besides even a "cheap" barrier is better than no barrier, agreed. Yeah.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM
AAA_in_OR
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by TXtinct
You could get a cargo net. Use the tie downs to secure the net.
After thinking about this some, I coming to think this is the best way of doing it, and gives you maximum versatility.