Hard Start/ No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 AM
rodmanG
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Start/ No Start

Good day Gents,

I will start of by saying I read all the post in this thread. I seen a lot of good questions and answer`s. I would like to ask a few questions see if any of you have any of these probems and have corrected it.

1. I have a 1999 F350 PSD. Its early 99 model. It will not start at all. I broke down in Ga and the local shop replaced the IPR, ICP, FPR and change all the glow plugs ( so they say ) and the GPRand it still will not start with out shooting starting fluid. Once it starts white smoke, no power you have to hold the gas pedel to the floor, only getting about 1300 rpms after a while it will slowly start gaining RPMS, runs ruff smokes real bad. after it runs a while engine get to normal operating temp. It runs half way ok. still feels like its missing. I tryed to jump the relay with the two big wires, they get very hot like they want to melt within secs of puttting them together.

any ideals?????

Also the pcm is not activating the GPR I have to ground one the wires to get it to click on, even though I ground it still no start.

1 more thing, I had the OIL presssure check on both heads to make sure the oil pressure was where it needs to be. The fuel pressure was around 50 psi.

Rodman

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please start your own threads in the main forum. That way everyone sees it, and can respond intelligently and quickly.

This thread is VERY old to start with.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
rodmanG
New User
Ok Thanks I did not know, I was just replying to that thread, was not sure about starting a new thread...

Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

First thing is stop using starter fluid. If it ignites at the wrong time from a glowing GP you run the chance of a big boom and some unwanted engine damage. If you have to use something, and you shouldn't, use WD40.

Now a few questions.

Does the WTS light come on when key is turned on? It should light for about 10 seconds.

Is there white smoke while you are trying to start?

Do you have at least 10.5 volts while cranking to start.

Here are the requirements to start.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 PM
c125bob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd check the batteries first. If it isn't them, you'll be needing to have good strong batteries with clean connections for whatever comes next. Not enough voltage to fire the injectors can and will create a no start situation among other crazy things.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 PM
rodmanG
New User
List of new parts installed. So we all can be on the same page. Fuel Tank Drop, new fuel ( rail ) pump, all Glow Plugs replaced, ICP, FPR,IPR. Only thing that I have not replaced is the Injectors and HPOP. I am very much thinking of doing that. I took a 12 gauge wire ( very heavy gauge ) and tryed to jump the GPR just to see what it would do. This wire got RED hot within seconds of jumping the 2. That concerns me that there is something very wrong. Is this true?? Should it have gotten hot like that within a few seconds? The PCM is not telling the GPR to turn on when the key is turned on. I can ground one side to the negtive battery side and it pulls very large draw on the system and still does not start. The fuel presssure was tested and it has 50psi at cranking.The oil pressure is somewhere between 2150 and 2300 psi at cranking. Tested both heads to see if they held pressure they passed tested with HPOP lines. Tryed to plug in heater does nothing. With all said any one have any answers.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM
409impala1
Junior User
I had this problem and it was the connections for the glow plugs that were disconnected intermittently. took the valve covers off and tie wrapped the connections together, after replacing the junk cam position sensor several times thinking that was the problem. If they have not fixed the connections under the valve covers, do it and it should fix you problem, 2 different dealer mechanics told me of this after several tow trips and problems,

Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
12 gauge wire not big enough for the current that goes through GPR.

Does the fact that pcm is not telling glow plug relay to come also mean u have no wait to start light? If so, check the fuses. There is one that will blow for fuel heater that will also not activate pcm. That will cause the truck not to run. Its either fuse 30 in the cab or fuse 24 under the hood

where in ga is it? Nevermind, I re-read. Are u mssing power on small wire to GPR or are u missing the ground that is prvided by the pcm?