1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Distributor help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Distributor help

Hey guys,

I just bought a remanned Motorcraft Distributor. It is the D4006 model, with single vac advance. I am just curious as to if this should drop in my 84 Ford 460 with a factory carb. The parts place said it would, but I would rather not install it and then try to send it back and they tell me no.

Thanks

Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
I just pulled this new dizzy out of the box too. I noticed the blue cap I got didn't have any metal contacts sticking out of the holes. I don't think that this is correct, or perhaps the wires that I purchased were wrong. My wires don't appear to have a long enough male end to fit down inside the cap more then an inch or so. Will this suffice?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without seeing a picture I'm not sure what distributor you have. Is it a points or Electronic dist? The 84 460 used electronic distributor stock. The cap was a gray with pins that were up not recessed. You can put a points distributor in but the cap & wires are different. The sites Ford parts man is Number Dummy you might PM him.
They make the electronic dist. in both dual & single vacuum advances. I always had to request single for my 86 460. for some reason the dual or double version come up first. Why I have no idea my F250 4x4 460 is a California emission truck with only one air pump. I hope this helps.

Craig

Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Here is the cap that came with my new distributor

My plug wires are these

I tried the coil plug wire and the larger end fit inside my new cap.However, it appears the wire ends that fit the dizzy need a mail end coming out of the cap, which I don't have. appears one of two things happened, I got a different cap then I need or I purchased the wrong wires.

It is the single vac system, with Ds2.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The older point-style cap and rotor will fit the DS2 dist, which sounds like what you got.
The DS2 can have cross-firing issues using the smaller diameter cap, so I don't recommend using it. The DS2 should use the larger 2-piece cap with male prongs for the wires, like the ones you describe. The lower 1/2 of the cap is the hard part to locate....
Simply put, your dist came with the wrong cap/rotor.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
I just looked at the new dizzy. The part is autoline d4006 the re builders I think. The part is originally a motorcraft 12127 according to the stamp to the left of the motorcraft up near the cap.

Toward the lower end of the shaft it say C8VF with 12131-b (below it) and then 39 below that. I didn't pull my old dizzy so I guess this is what I get.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
The older point-style cap and rotor will fit the DS2 dist, which sounds like what you got.
The DS2 can have cross-firing issues using the smaller diameter cap, so I don't recommend using it. The DS2 should use the larger 2-piece cap with male prongs for the wires, like the ones you describe. The lower 1/2 of the cap is the hard part to locate....
Simply put, your dist came with the wrong cap/rotor.
Alright I thought so, much appreciated I'm pissed at my ignorance. Now with my new distributor can I just throw on my old cap and rotor and my new plug wires? Send the new cap and rotor back with my old dizzy for the core charge?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
My new dizzy looks similar to this one although it doesn't have the same tag, and as I stated I don't have this cap. I think I may on the current one on my 84 Ford though. I can't check because I'm about 3 hours away. my plug has like 3 prongs in it, on the new one.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
The current cap/rotor should fit fine, but if they are in questionable condition, you might consider getting replacements. One tip, when looking for replacement cap/rotor, look for copper/brass contacts. Skip the aluminium contact caps, they can cause plenty-o-trouble.....
Might as well send the useless cap/rotor back with a note saying "Thanks for including the WRONG cap/rotor"........

That dist pictured above is a rather pricey part. It's the motorsport "MSD" unit.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:12 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Yeah sorry its not exactly like that one. I've been using LMC and NPD to see how exactly I messed up here. I appreciate the aluminum deal my new cap came with that crap. I paid a pretty penny like $110 total for this new dizzy. Its only $70 after the core charge. I figured if I sprang for the motorcraft it would be a good thing.Your help is much appreciated!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
I guess I shall no more when I head home from college tomorrow for a while. I was hoping to get my pickup up and running and get it timed and everything. I say it so sucks waiting to test drive a "new" pickup.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's a good place to get a remaned DS2 dist for a 351W?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Anafiel
Where's a good place to get a remaned DS2 dist for a 351W?
Once upon a time, you could get good quality reman parts from most any corner parts house. These days most of the reman stuff comes from Mexico. I dunno who carries the good stuff anymore.......

Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
I got mine from Rock Auto for 70+ 40 core charge. It was remanned in canada, and all the rest of my parts were either made in usa or remanned in usa.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
I am thinking with this new dizzy, wires, cap, rotor (if the others are bad). If I adjust timing and it still does not work out correctly hen my idle speed on the 4180 carb is too high? IIRC I have to drill out the plugs on the bottom half of the carb and adjust or is that something different?

Quick Reply: Distributor help