Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Window jammed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:06 PM
DanielC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window jammed

I have a 1996 Aerostar, and the drivers and passenger windows went up and down really good. If fact, a friend of mine who had a BMW was impressed on how well the windows did work.
Until last week.
In a driving rainstorm, I was by a semi truck trailer, and a car passed me, throwing a huge spray of water on me, I could not see. and got too close to the semi.
It slammed the passenger mirror into the window, and broke it. It also bent the front window channel on the door, and put a very minor paint chip right behind the door, no dent, just a chip.
I went to a local auto recycling yard, and got a door off a van in the yard.
Remove the screws holding the door sill down, remove four screws, pull door sill up. Pry fastener out of kick panel, just below dashboard, and pull panel out of the way. Unplug the two electrical connectors. Push the boot out through the hole, and then feed the electrical connectors through the hole. After supporting the door on old tires, or whatever is handy, Remove the four bolts holding the door to the hinges.
Pay for the door, and take it home. I spent about $68.00 on the door. The top of the door is the same white as my van, but I will have to repaint the lower gold.

After I put the door on my van, the window did not roll down.
So I pulled the electric window regulator out of my damaged door. Four rivets hold it to the door. I used a center punch to drive the center of the rivet back into the door, and then drilled out the rivets with a 3/8 drill. I then took the three screws holding the motor, and gearbox off the window regulator. This made it easier to get the regulator out of the door. I do the same to junkyard door now on my van.
I reach up into the door on my van, and I can pull the window down. I test my old window regulator on the bench, with a 12 volt battery, and it still works fine. I put my old regulator in the door on my van, and the window goes down about 4 inches, binds up, and stops. The window goes back up easily.
I move the window down , again, and if I push down on the back of the window it goes down just fine. But when the window is part way down, it can be moved forward and back about 1/2 a inch. This play allows the window to twist slightly on the way down, and jam.
I reached inside the door, and could pull the front window guide back (toward the window) slightly. That helped, but not enough. The window still wobbled, but not as much. I then took the rear window guide out of the damaged door, and since it was nice and easy to get to the track on it, i sprayed it liberally with a silicone spray, and put it in the junkyard door on my van. The window now had a lot less wobble, and now it goes up and down just fine.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
That's a good treatment for those window tracks, especially if it's not been used for a really long time; a good flooding of silicone lubricant.