1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership problems - Brakes issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually felt a differance in the pedal when I had mine flushed

Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Texans.

I do so recommend and I stand by it.

And not just in salt land here, but everywhere.

I have seen too many issues to not spend $100 extra for a rotor (a lot less for lower grade ones), and $60 for a reman caliper.

Incremental cost doing it my way: extra $350 or so per axle for 350 truck grade rotors.

At those prices, it is not worth doing diagnostics.

I will however state, if you got a real well matched pair of pads and rotors, you can get them to just about wear out each other (pad wear out at same time as rotor thinness hits reject).

Have to match it with individual pad / rotor combos.. and if there is not abnormal pad wear from a binding caliper, it last the life of each other.

Then I never have to cut a rotor --- oh... there is no way to cut a rotor without losing a lot of metal --- read braking / heat absorption capacity.

So that is the way I am... some people buy APRs they don't need, I buy brake work I probably don't absolutely need...

Like bi-annual changes of brake fluid.. because I think 4% moisture is too much in my system.

I would sooner put $350 in brakes my way than to buy many other bling bling.
I agree with you too some points on this. I would never personaly do a brake job without turning/"cutting" the rotors. That being said most rotors on cars/trucks today come from the factoy already at the specs. So you can't turn them at that point. If I wasn't able to turn the rotor then yes I would replace it. NO WAY I would replace the calipers just because I was doing a brake job. If there were no uneven wear on the pads, and no pulling to one side during braking/driving. I agree that brakes are way more important than any "bling bling", but I don't beleave (and you of all people should understand this.) in throwing away money on unneeded parts.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tex... where I am there is a huge problem with salt, moisture intake into the brake system.

There is no way to examine the inside of the piston / bores for corrosion.

I can evaluate corrosion of the pins, hangers, but what about the innards?

To evaluate mean to take it apart --- in the old days you cleaned it, put in a new piston seal, etc.

These kits are no longer sold --- so I just put on a quality (Ford OEM) reman.

I realize you may not need this in Texas --- but with 2% water per year in brake fluid... interior rust is a big problem.

In any case, what works for me... does not necessarily work for you.

I like my routine... and it is kind of like changing oil at 3,000 miles... unnecessary to me!

In your area, the problem will not be salt / and not necessarily water (depending on how humid your area is)... but heat for heavy use.

If we can have an ideal solution, I would rebuild my own (known good calipers) with silicon seals and gaskets --- which have a much higher tolerance to heat than EPDM rubber --- the standard.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Speedjester
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Around here you would be hard pressed to find a place that still turns rotors...Most of the big auto parts stores have gotten out of it for liability reasons.. Most mechanics I know don't bother as rotors are now somewhat of a disposable item because of price...

I cant go back to the beginning of the thread but did you say it was 8 yrs and how many miles since a brake job... rotors do warp and warp a lot easier if they are turned more than they should have been ... Did the dealer mic them before and after the turn down..Could they have turned them down to much and when the mechanic took it for a ride to seat the pads did he over heat them and warp the rotor... Rotor usually warp after the cool down not the heat up...Unless of course the rotors are real thin .. I have seen them break apart when turned to far down and heated...

I like to get two pad changes out of my rotors.. But sometimes I have to change them every pad change..They pit , warp and rust.. Also if they get to rusty they tend not to dissipate the heat well and the brakes fade sooner...

Asked the dealer if they will give you the parts at cost or as commercial discount...

Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Zmann
Ford clearly states do not resurface rotors if no pulsation is present

since were asking questions did u change your flexible brake hoses ? seems like they could dry rot

What Ford really said:

stock rotors are already so cut down (thin) that we no longer leave a margin for resurfacing.

Flexible hoses are inspected by me every time I am under the vehicle (2x a year)

Any hint of cracking.. and they go.

Likewise, so are exposed brake lines --- inspected for rust damage.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
that hydro boost is getting old you should replace it also

Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Zman:

The real problem with hydroboost is dirty fluid... jamming brakes.

There is a fix for an aftermarket filter that is permanently installed.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM
mixerdrvr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck is getting old, better replace it also!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
metal fatigue is an issue ,, I would replace the brake pedal
or atleast the foot pad ,, a worn foot pad can be slippery

Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I actually felt a differance in the pedal when I had mine flushed
Me also. I was quite surprised at the difference in firmness and feel. I forget what the absorption rate of water into brake fluid is, but it's quite a bit. Besides powersteering fluid this is probably the most overlooked/neglected until it's too late and expensive.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Me also. I was quite surprised at the difference in firmness and feel. I forget what the absorption rate of water into brake fluid is, but it's quite a bit.

2 percent a year, up to 8% then it tapers off.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by meone420
WHO'S BARRY THE STUDEBAKER KID R.
I,M TRYING TO STROKE MY 352 WHERE CAN I FIND THIS BARRY R AND OR A CRANK FOR IT AND WHAT OTHER MODS WILL I NEED BESIDES CAM AND LIFTER I ALL READY HAVE OVER 1,2OO$ INVESTED AND DONT WANT TO SPEND MUCH MORE.
PLEASE HELP THIS IS MY FIRST BUILD AND I WANT TO GO BIG WITH IT W/NO OVER BORE SOMEONE ANYONE
This is the 6.0 diesel forum, but you knew that right??

Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How does one flush the hydro boost?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
I pulled the return hose from the side of the hydro boost and put a long 3/8 hose from the fitting to a jug ,, it only flows whahn u push the brakes or turn the wheel side to side ( jack the front end off the ground)

then work between brakes and steering while filling up every so often ( you can leave her running while you do this it won't be a rush)

Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
like this

Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com

I used synthetic as a refill

Quick Reply: Dealership problems - Brakes issue