EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

EcoBoost upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 AM
3bands
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fordication
Go ahead guys. I am telling you that ecoboost is a gimmick and when you pay $30 a quart for that overrated synthetic oil and premium gas you remember I said so. When that worn out engine hits 100K like all 4 of my last ford trucks did and you are looking at burned out turbos and extreme high repair bills, just come back to the forum and call me more names. Unlike many of you I have driven just about every make of car and you do not put turbos on a work engine as in a truck. You will find out the hard way just as I did with my Turbo Supra, my Twin Turbo Rx7, my Turbo Laser and my Turbo Kawasaki. And its going to cost you out your ***.
Never heard of a 30$ quart of oil no matter what kind. Looks like you should quit buying Jap Junk, and if turbos were so bad why did you keep buying them? Looks like you already paid out your A$$, keep up the good work.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan92
You sir are a moron.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:27 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go ahead guys. I am telling you that ecoboost is a gimmick and when you pay $30 a quart for that overrated synthetic oil and premium gas you remember I said so. When that worn out engine hits 100K like all 4 of my last ford trucks did and you are looking at burned out turbos and extreme high repair bills, just come back to the forum and call me more names. Unlike many of you I have driven just about every make of car and you do not put turbos on a work engine as in a truck. You will find out the hard way just as I did with my Turbo Supra, my Twin Turbo Rx7, my Turbo Laser and my Turbo Kawasaki. And its going to cost you out your ***.
$30 a quart oil? Not even Amsoil is that expensive (yet).
Premium gas? Not required.
Burned out turbos at 100K? Highly doubtful.
Such bad luck with turbos, and you purchased 4 turbocharged vehicles? Brilliant.

NO TURBOS ON ENGINES MADE FOR WORK? (sorry, I couldn't stand to retype that brilliant piece of English composition that Fordication used in his post). OMGWTFBBQ!!!! Quick, someone call Cat, Cummins, International, Ford, MB, etc. and tell them that turbos on engines built for work are no bueno and should be removed immediately.

Sorry to tell you this... ignorance is fixable, but stupid is forever. You may make any assumptions regarding your position in this maxim at your will.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:25 AM
joiseystud
Junior User
Look guys. Just buy the 5.0. Your resale will be fantastic and no mods needed other than the one that keeps your foot off the pedal. I know this offends but putting a turbo v6 in a full size truck is absolute stupid. I could care less what Fords says or any other person says. A full size truck needs a v8 and it needs the torque and weght that comes with one. In fact, I can tell you now that if you buy the ecoboost engine in a supercrew fullsized ford you will have to keep the truck until its paid off to resale it. Period.
I am pretty sure Turbo Diesel engines have proven that Turbo technology can be made very reliable. I would also argue that depending on the engine you can easily get more torque and HP from the turbo. As for the "weight" that is missing in the engine, I would think that would only improve the efficiency(mpg, acceleration, net towing capacity) of the truck further.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 AM
joiseystud
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford5.8
If they had the exact same port design,compression,turbo,cam,injectors and programming the 7.3 would have more power. If you had a 6.0 powerstroke and added 2 more cylinders it will have more power, exact same internal components just more displacment. The dodge viper engine is basically a 360 with 2 more cylinders,much more power then a 360 could make on pump gas using the same components.

I have built many performance snowmobile engines, their is absolutly no replacement for displacement, if a smaller engine makes more power it is because it has more agressive porting,advanced timing or higher compression. Put that same setup on the bigger engine and the smaller engine gets toasted.
That is not what the concept of "there is no replacement for displacement". That concept means that a smaller engine with turbo cant compete against a larger engine without becasue displacement cant be replaced by a turbo. Everyone knows that if all is equal the bigger engine wins. The argument here is that a properly designed V6 +turbo engine can and does have more HP, torque, and fuel efficency than a naturally aspirated V8 with much larger displacement.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 AM
joiseystud
Junior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
Ahhh, someone came up with the difference. I never said that it had to be on equal level. Is the ecoboost twin turbo'ed? I only thought it had one.

But then again, how do you explain the difference with regard to the 7.3 and the 6.0? Those are pretty much equals and even the 7.3 had some advantages that the 6.0 didn't have and yet still came out low man on the totem pole.
Yes the engine is Twin turbo. Generally done this way because they can use two smaller turbos which will give less turbo lag (faster spoolup), and it is much easier to design the exhaust and intake schemes. Most V layout engines will have an even amount of turbos (eg some large diesel engines have large quad turbos.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 AM
joiseystud
Junior User
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
I cant wait to see what the aftermarket can provide for the ecoboost.

Being a turbo engine, i would be willing to bet that there is some serious power to be had from custom engine tuning, intercoolers, exhaust.

Maybe north of 400 hp and near 500 ft lb?

Could be interesting.

What kind of gains have they gotten out of the SHO?
I would guess that there is a lot left in the engine. Since this is a truck ford had to balance reliability in the stock design. If you are willing to give up longevity/reliability to some degree, then you can get more out of the engine. One of the easiest mods on a turbo would be to increase the boost level. Depending on how Ford is controlling the boost will dictate how easy this is. It could be as easy as adding a bleed valve to a wastegate tube. I assume this thing has electronic controls so it can also be just a matter of a program change in the ECU.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It does have electronic controls for the wastegate, based on their media pamphlets anyway. Most newer vehicles you can get a little more umph just with tuning, however, that is probably where reliability is going to be questionable the most as we have yet to know how far Ford has pushed the engine with their tuning in stock form.

This is why there are a group of people that have actually detuned their trucks with 6.0s, as they feel Ford pushed the engine too much in stock form already.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 PM
joiseystud
Junior User
Its likely they havent pushed it too far. 365hp is nothing for a 3.5L engine. This is going in their flagship truck so the last thing they want is to compromise reliability. I am sure you could push 450+ without much effort. There are guys running 400+hp on 2Liter nissan engines with no work so this isnt a stretch at all.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Hey Hoss, I am not knocking your choice of a V8 vs. a Twin turbo 6. I am going to argue about how turbos do not hold up in trucks. Guess what I do for the military... Here is a hint, I am a mechanic. On top of that I have been around turbo engines in extreme use situations all my life (also known as a Farm boy) Turbos in working applications is nothing new. I do not think you are a troll, and you are stating your thoughts which is more then fair considering that this is a forum for trucks. But don't tell me that it needs fancy $30 a quart oil because it does not. You are using outdated information on turbos to justify your thoughts. Something we all do, Maybe you should wait and see. In 3 years 4 months and 2 weeks I will be ready to buy a new truck (that is when my wife's car is paid off) I think the eco boost is going to be the cat's meow. Who knows I could be eating serious crow between now and then. By then the eco will be tested and true or a complete flop. You don't have to think that the glass is half empty, just wait and see. And it runs off of regular pump gas

Last edited by akalogan; 01-17-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 PM
joiseystud
Junior User
It does have electronic controls for the wastegate, based on their media pamphlets anyway. Most newer vehicles you can get a little more umph just with tuning, however, that is probably where reliability is going to be questionable the most as we have yet to know how far Ford has pushed the engine with their tuning in stock form.

This is why there are a group of people that have actually detuned their trucks with 6.0s, as they feel Ford pushed the engine too much in stock form already.
Looking at the teardown video, the wastegate control is a simple diaphram type wastegate pressure control. Nothing electronic I can see. It would be east to add a bleed valve to the tubing from the intake manifold to increast boost. Also you could change over to electronic wastegate control for in cabin tuning. I would wait until the warranty is over though ;-)

Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 AM
austincobra
New User
(oops, got a little long winded here. )

I’ve been driving my 2000 F150 for too long and it’s time for and upgrade. And knowing the potential and tune’ability of turbo charge motors, I’m excited about the EcoBoot motor. I was jazzed to see this thread. But, disappointed to see it devolve into a P’ssing contest between 6.2s and the EcoBoost.

The thread is called “EcoBoost upgrades”. I say we stick to that and ignore the rest. Sorta like that odd cuisine in the family, if you ignore him, he’ll go away.
<O</O

So to EcoBoost upgrades. I’m looking forward to what the aftermarket comes up with. Turbos are SO easy to get significant improvements out of with little investment, as compare to normally aspirated engines. As we all know, engines are essentially air pumps. Ease the flow of air coming and going and you gain performance. In a normally aspirated engine, we do this with performance air filters and exhaust mods. The same applies to a turbo, but turbos have additional pluming that other engines do not. I’m referring to the plenums that run from the air filter to the turbos to the intercooler to the intake manifold. This can be quite a network of tubing snaked about the engine compartment. And much like a cat-back system, if you ease the flow of air through that plumbing, you’ll increase performance. Address those three areas, cool air/filter kit, intake pluming and exhaust and I wouldn’t be surprised to see close to a 10% increase in performance, depending on Fords existing tuning. So that easing airflow. Then next step is increasing the volume of air. And that’s where the conversation, dollars signs and your imagination can go wild.
<O</O
<O</O
Turbos raise the efficiency of existing displacement by increase the air/fuel charge in each cylinder, more fuel and air, more power. In a normally aspirated engine we do this with valve train tuning, bigger valves, higher lift, longer duration, and LOTS of $$$. With a turbo charges motor you can do this two ways without ever cracking open the top or bottom end of the engine. One is by cooling the charged air coming out of the turbo. The second is by increasing boost.

<O</OTurbos increase air volume and oxygen density by compressing ambient air. Anyone that’s ever taken a physics class knows that when you compress air it heats up. This compressed hot air ads to the air pressure that would otherwise exist at ambient temperatures. Intercoolers are used to decrease the air temp. The more efficient the intercooler, the more air/oxygen you can get into the cylinders for combustion. For example, if the existing intercooler reduces the compressed air coming out of the turbo to, say, 200 degrees at 12psi, a more efficient intercooler might drop that to 140 degrees at 12psi; thereby forcing more oxygen at the same pressure/boost into the cylinders (boost pressure is measured post intercooler). As the ECM senses more oxygen in the cylinders it will provide more fuel producing more power.<O</O<O</O
Now to the pièce de résistance, BOOST PRESURE! You can go nuts here. As I think I saw mentioned earlier, boost is controlled by dump valves/waist gates on the air side of the turbo and bypass valves on the exhaust. Play with these and you can significantly increase power. Additionally, I’ve seen many in the European market, for example Audis, swap out the factory turbo for larger units and produce MASSIVE amounts of power.

<O</OFinally there’s the ECM. If the F150s ECM is as programmable as some of the others I’ve seen, this could be a really fun vehicle.

<O</OI’ll bet companies like Bully Dog will have something by the end of the year, if not the first of next.

<O</ONow where did my Ford A-Plan PIN and that order form go…..<O</O

Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by austincobra

<O</OI’ll bet companies like Bully Dog will have something by the end of the year, if not the first of next.
If you are really wanting to have fun, why set your sights on one size fits all tuning? Why not think of custom?

Old 02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
austincobra
New User
If you are really wanting to have fun, why set your sights on one size fits all tuning? Why not think of custom?
True! With some of the ECM programmers I've seen lately, Looks like we'll be able to set a number or customer profiles in the system and hit that "Go Baby, GO!" option when the urge strikes us. Mix that with some breathing mods and controllable waist gates and all sorts of fun can be had. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nobody's tuning anything from Ford that's turbocharged until Bosch's encryption is broken.
Ford got fed up with the idiots and fraudulent warranty claims, so they locked down the software on the turbocharged vehicles for 2011.
You can thank the owners of 6.0L PSD's and turbocharged SHO's that have be defrauding Ford through warranty claims on modified vehicles for this. I'm surprised that they didn't lock down ALL of them PCM's across the board.
JL

Quick Reply: EcoBoost upgrades.