EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

EcoBoost upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:30 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
And with some tuning, and intake/exhaust and intercoolers you might have more power and more MPG with the Eboost.
The ecoboost will make better fuel economy in factory form than the 6.2.

The highway mileage on the 6.2 is 16mpg which is kinda surprisingly low.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your way off page with me. Only reason i would mod an Eboost is for fun. And when i was referring to the MPG i was meaning vs the 6.2l.
If the only reason that you would mod the ecoboost is for fun, then there would be absolutely no reason to mention MPG at all whether it's an improvement over stock form or if it's better MPG then the 6.2(which I thought that it was rated better then the 6.2 in stock form already, but I haven't been paying much attention to that).

Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
The ecoboost will make better fuel economy in factory form than the 6.2.

The highway mileage on the 6.2 is 16mpg which is kinda surprisingly low.
I don't find that all that surprising to be honest with you. I can promise you I'll never see that if I were to own a 6.2 and I drove conservatively most of the time.

I have only broken 16 MPG once on my DRW and that was driving insanely slow on what normally would have been a 10 hr(682 miles one way) road trip. Primary reason why I don't bother with MPG claims(or exaggerations) or even improvements. More often then not I'll never see that and that's the bottom line as to what concerns me. I know, I know, selfish, but it's true.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
akalogan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My biggest beef with the 6.2 in the F150 line is the lack of a long bed. What is the point of anything shorter than 6' in bed length? It drives me up the wall trying to fit everything I move around with my poor little ranger. An 8' bed is a must have on my next truck even if it means getting a weird 7 lug bolt pattern that no one makes fancy wheels for (although the images on line look pretty good for the xlt heavy half!) That is my main reason for not even looking at the 6.2.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
(81 BEAST) -quote-
My point was, depending on what options you want, the 6.2 can be a VERY expensive upgrade because of the availability.

Though I agree the 6.2L is vastly overpriced for what it is, I don't think finding mods for it would be as hard as you think, simply because the same engine is offered across the whole Superduty line which is a volum selling line vs its much limited availiblity in the F-150.To my knowledge the only difference from the 6.2L in the F-150 to the 6.2L in a Superduty is Cam profile, hence why the F-150 makes more power and torque.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
If the only reason that you would mod the ecoboost is for fun, then there would be absolutely no reason to mention MPG at all whether it's an improvement over stock form or if it's better MPG then the 6.2(which I thought that it was rated better then the 6.2 in stock form already, but I haven't been paying much attention to that).
The Eboost is rated much higher for MPG from the factory than the 6.2L engine.

My original point is that with some modifications the Eboost has the potential to make the same or more power than the 6.2l while retaining its higher MPG.

Every one wants more power out of there trucks.

This thread was just for fun, speculation of the potential of the Eboost engine. If you dont like it or want to talk about other options of F-150's go start your own thread.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
My original point is that with some modifications the Eboost has the potential to make the same or more power than the 6.2l while retaining its higher MPG.

Every one wants more power out of there trucks.

This thread was just for fun, speculation of the potential of the Eboost engine. If you dont like it or want to talk about other options of F-150's go start your own thread.
No, not everyone wants more power out of their trucks. There are people that have even de-tuned their trucks from stock output levels with custom tuning.

I think you are off page with me now. I have no problem with talking about speculation with regard to power, that's fun, however, MPG speculation is pointless as that is going to be all over the map. Add that to the fact that it isn't going to be a consideration in your modding your truck, makes me think you even don't think it's worth consideration(for whatever reason)?

I have no problems talking about different opinions, it appears that you don't want to "hear" different options or opinions with regard to this. I'm all about doing what the factory did and pushing it. My 6.0 is far far from stock, however, I think gaining MPG with performance "driven" modifications isn't the best thing to logically conclude, since I've done most of what you listed(except the CAI).

Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Every engine responds differently. Just because yours didnt doesnt mean this one wont.

My 99 has 30-40 more hp than stock and i get the same mpg as i did with my stock 4.6l 17 mpg avg.

So its deff possible to increase the power of the Eboost, while maintaining 20+ mpg.

Everything is specutlation at this point about the eboost, just as everyone is speculating on wether it will be a reliable motor. Nothing wrong with that. Every thing is pretty uncertain.

I have a hard time believeing anybody buys a 400 tunner to detune there engine. I dont see the point. What possible benifit could come from that. I would have to say if someone does that then they probably dont have a good understanding of engines and just do it becasue they think that if it has less hp it will get better MPG or last longer, which is not true.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
E
I have a hard time believeing anybody buys a 400 tunner to detune there engine. I dont see the point. What possible benifit could come from that. I would have to say if someone does that then they probably dont have a good understanding of engines and just do it becasue they think that if it has less hp it will get better MPG or last longer, which is not true.
Welcome to the 6.0 world. A lot of people believe that a good bit of problems that are with the 6.0 is that Ford pushed it too much with their programming due to the "HP Wars" the the trucks at the time were going through. So they de-tuned it. Their belief is that they stock parts wouldn't be stressed. I could see the argument and if the headbolts weren't TQ'ed on correctly from the factory, which some weren't, it might work.

I never said that it was the belief of getting more MPG by decreasing stock output levels. People really need to put less emphasis on MPG on trucks then what they are doing. I'm not saying omit it, but tone it down. My trucks perform certain tasks, if they get good mileage while doing it....great, if they don't that's fine as long as they do their job. I find that people that are overly concerned with MPG with these trucks, more often don't need them to begin with and just want them. Which is fine, just do your research before hand and do it thoroughly. I'm not talking about any one specifically now, just a general observation.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ecoboost engine will be the one to watch. Put a tuner & filter on a EB & a 6.2. The EB will walk away from the tuned and filtered 6.2. And get better MPG too. End of story.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LSchicago2
The Ecoboost engine will be the one to watch. Put a tuner & filter on a EB & a 6.2. The EB will walk away from the tuned and filtered 6.2. And get better MPG too. End of story.

It may not need a filter on there. It just depends. I know I'm still running a stock intake on my 6.0 and I've got a bigger turbo and modified sticks among other things.

It really just depends on the individual engine.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Evan92
Senior User
I haven't driven an Ecoboost but if it's like most modern DBW vehicles I wouldn't be tuning it for power, I would be tuning it for better throttle response which will make it seem more powerful.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 AM
ford5.8
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they should just Ecoboost the 6.2,end of story

Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Id rather seet the 5.0 Eboosted. 4v Ti-VCT. Potent combo to start with.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Look guys. Just buy the 5.0. Your resale will be fantastic and no mods needed other than the one that keeps your foot off the pedal. I know this offends but putting a turbo v6 in a full size truck is absolute stupid. I could care less what Fords says or any other person says. A full size truck needs a v8 and it needs the torque and weght that comes with one. In fact, I can tell you now that if you buy the ecoboost engine in a supercrew fullsized ford you will have to keep the truck until its paid off to resale it. Period.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost upgrades.