6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Thoughts on truck protection package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Noah2010
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thoughts on truck protection package?

My Dealer is attempting to sell me a protection package including undercoat, paint sealer, and interior sealer or protection. He will sell it to me at his cost. NOTE: He knows my wife is looking at a new Expedition.

What are the thoughts and comments about this. Is it a waste of money or will it help protect my expensive investment?

Just realized, the sticker on this truck (62,500) is exactly twice the amount I paid for our first home?

Still Smiling

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I'd get details about which chemicals he wants to use. There are some really good ones out there, and some crap... know which ones he is selling before you buy

Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
another note: see if you can find out where the dealer sends work like this out to. I had my dealer offer to do window tint and bedliner "at their cost"... which was higher than the quote given to me by the exact same place the dealer contracts with.

To salesmen, the term "cost" is, shall we say, flexible. You have been warned

Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Noah2010
My Dealer is attempting to sell me a protection package including undercoat, paint sealer, and interior sealer or protection.
Undercoat:

If it is properly applied before any contamination ever gets on the underside (salt even from shipping), possible benefit --- regardless... it must be really well cleaned.

The worse case is to apply it to an already contaminated / rusting surface, which then proceeds to let the undercoat trap moisture inside, and rot it from the inside.

Paint sealer? Huge variability depend on the type / grade / quality of the polymer coating applied.

Cannot really say without knowing who / what you are dealing with.

Interior sealer? Buy a couple cans of 3M fabric protector and do your own seats and carpets for $30 and an hours worth of work.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The paint protection the dealer in my town puts on works very well, and they do it in house here. My dads truck had just under 100k miles and the water still would bead off the paint. Took them three tries to get it right on that truck but they did a good job on his 2011. He also gets the interior protection done by dealer.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:59 AM
W7PSK
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I figured I spent good part of 40k on my truck whats another 3k for the protection package, Linux and every service up to 6 years 100k covered. Its called the gas and go, I just pay for tires and diesel until then.

As part of the protection package they did Cilajet on the paint. Ive heard good and bad but right now water just runs off. They did the full interior seal that beads coffe, coke and what have you on my cloth seats. They did Linux in the bed. The Cilajet and the interior were done at the dealer. Linux they had a local shop do it.

We shall see if its money well spent or a gimmick.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:53 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got a rust protection package from Ziebart for $499. I take it in once a year for maintenance for $40 and it's covered for 10 years from any rust. If I get rust, they cover the cost to get it repaired (by my choice of shop). My dealer offered the same rust protection pkg but were shocked by the 10yr warranty Ziebart offered. I have some before/after photos of the application, just haven't uploaded them yet.

Worth it, in theory, in my book. Whether it works or not, like the magic 8 ball, ask again later.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
The warranty is for perforation.

Very hard to claim on.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Noah2010
My Dealer is attempting to sell me a protection package including undercoat, paint sealer, and interior sealer or protection. He will sell it to me at his cost. NOTE: He knows my wife is looking at a new Expedition.

What are the thoughts and comments about this. Is it a waste of money or will it help protect my expensive investment?

Just realized, the sticker on this truck (62,500) is exactly twice the amount I paid for our first home?

Still Smiling
I can't speak to the value of the paint sealer, but did have vehicles undercoated and the interior "sealed". As for paint protection, I have opted for the Invisible Bra by 3M. Covers the high impact areas for stones and door bangers. Have had it on other vehicles and certainly pays for itself in terms of protection against stone chips and parking lot nicks.

The interior sealer was a waste of money IMHO. The sealer for the rugs is usually ScotchGuard. And I question the longetivity. I buy a can of SG and treat the rugs myself. Since my seats are leather, the only protection is to routinely do a cleaning and application of leather treatment.

I was always a strong supporter of undercoating until I found out that undercoating can trap moisture in certain areas. A lot of these issues have to do with the applicator plugging up weep and drain holes but I also understand that the undercoating can separate in areas of movement allowing water to accumulate. Coupled with the factory corrosion protection, I questioned the value of it.

On this truck I decided to do something different. I have used Fluid Film for years on the snowplows I have owned. It has always amazed me how it prevents rust. It is not permament but I can usually get through a season with one application. So... this year I sprayed my entire truck underside. I am pleased to report that high "rustable" items like the U Joints still look factory new. I probably will need to apply 2 a year. I figured out that a half gallon will cover the underside once. At $35 per gallon, it will cost me $350 to $400 over 10 years. Spraying is done with a cheap sprayer that can be reused over and over again.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Noah2010
Junior User
It's the largest dealership in the area and it is done in-house. I will investigate further the chemical applications that are applied. The Service Mgr is a good friend of my daughter and has always been straight up with me, good or bad

Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
I'm sorry, all of it is a waste of money. I would maybe consider the undercoat depending on where you live (heavy snow, lots of road salt) even then the under body needs to properly prepped. Paint protection and interior protection......Crap. You don't need it, its just a way for the dealer to make money. With today's paint clear coat, a DIY wax or sealant twice a year will be all you need. Twice at minimum if your not that **** about appearance.

I don't detail cars for a living, but it is a side job and hobby for me. I do paint correction removing swirls and scratches to renew the finish. As for the the interior, a can of scotch guard for carpet and upholstery is excellent and waaay cheaper and equivalent to what the dealer does.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
I'm sorry, all of it is a waste of money. I would maybe consider the undercoat depending on where you live (heavy snow, lots of road salt) even then the under body needs to properly prepped.
I have developed a coating that would change your mind for the underbody.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
I have developed a coating that would change your mind for the underbody.
I am open minded about undercoating. I believe there are decent products available and some dealers that do it right. Paint and interior protection........total waste of $ IMO

I had a 98' F150 and got the undercoating when it was brand new. Didn't do a bit of good. Truck still rusted out in many places.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Forget undercoating.

I am doing cold galvanization.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
TheKid1
Senior User
Yep, and if you DID buy the undercoating, and put a claim in, they would wire brush the rust, seal it with a spray, and spray the color coat

Big deal, maybe $80 at most...

It's like extended warranty on items. Do you think they would push to sell them if they were paying out and loosing money?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on truck protection package?