General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

anyone using the COMPSTOCK on their shotgun?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 09:24 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NRAJOE just gave me the link to the COMPSTOCK website. it looks like a factory stock, but it has a recoil reducing system in it ( rollers and springs ) says it reduces recoil by 54 %...

only costs 90-100 dollars... now, ill shell out that cash, as long as i hear some positive results from people with expeience with the compstocks. any ideas on how long they last??? my concern would be that they would fail, or break.

after popping off about ( 25 ) 1 o.z. 3" magnum SLUGS from my 12 guage im pretty sore, and usually bruised for a few days. so a recoil reduction of 54 % would be greatly appreciated.

anyone have any info on this??

Old 03-06-2003, 09:33 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard about the Copstock from my nephew whos a sheriffs deputy in miami. Next time i talk to him i'll ask more about it i think he ended up buying one.For 89.95$ you can't really go wrong.

Old 03-07-2003, 04:29 AM
damonlan
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of a couple of guys that use them. Another system uses a mercury filled cyclinder to "lesson recoil". Keep in mind that recoil is not actually reduced, rather the blowback impact time is lengthened. The full power of the recoil is still there, you just won't feel it, hence they usually say the "felt recoil" is reduced. Physics stuff.

I bought a .300 WSM Browning for my wife to hunt elk with and it was torturing her to the point where she couldn't shoot. I know, she's wimpy but I love her. Anywhow, cutting an inch off the butt (so as not to add length to the gun) and adding a 'recoil reducing' pad helped tremendously. Managable for her on the range. Possibly a good solution(cheaper) for the 12GA. I have heard that the recoil reducing devices do work better, but they are less cost effective. If money is no issue, do it. Just remember it is another mechanical part that may need cleaning/servicing.

A compensator is the only "recoil reducing" device that truely reduces the energy of recoil. Some sporting clay guns have them but I have never used one.