6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 Trailer tow prep package

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Trailer tow prep package

Does anyone, that has the trailer tow prep package and had a existing pullrite super 5th , 5th wheel hitch-use the super 5th rail kit # 0841 on there new truck. to join the two together... will it work in the reese base ?

Rich

Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcorcich
Does anyone, that has the trailer tow prep package and had a existing pullrite super 5th , 5th wheel hitch-use the super 5th rail kit # 0841 on there new truck. to join the two together... will it work in the reese base ?

Rich
Rich, to the best of my knowledge only the Reese Elite or Signature series will work with the Ford tow prep package. I do not know of any adapter kit available yet to mate the PullRite to the underbed prep pkg. from Ford. There is one other hitch I'm not familiar with and not sure what brand it is, but I saw it just a few days ago on the FTE site.
If you have the PullRite hitch now you can use the same hitch on the 2011 truck. The frame brackets will work just fine, according to a PullRite tech. The only thing you will miss out on is the factory trailer plug in the side of the bed wall.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
Thanks , that sounds like it pretty much sum's it up for now.We are considering moving up to a 2011 but wanted to use our hitch with a clean bed design with the factory prep.
Hensley has a air ride hitch with a "adapter plate" for the Ford prep.
Hopefully soooon others will follow...

Thanks Rich

Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Specularius
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pullrite has an adapter to use their hitch with standard rails. You could use the Hensley adapter along with the pullrite adapter. For the price though, you would be better to get the truck without the prep kit and install the pullrite super rail kit.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
Final word ,
I just got off the phone with pullrite tech service's and they explained to me that nothing they make will adapt a pull-rite hitch to the Reese prep. on the 2011 Fords. Period. But I can remove my existing and reinstall on the 2011's.

Rich

Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM
sandyc
Senior User
Not to hijack your post, but reference the prep package, you receive a bed plug for the gooseneck ball hole when not in use and I was wondering why I didn't get any plugs for the other 4 holes where the hitch goes in when it's not in use. Four good size holes that are exposed to the WX and you can see straight to the ground. Is this something others received and I did not or their not supplied with the package. Thanks

Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Thom12
Senior User
I got all 5 plugs with my truck.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Specularius
Senior User
All five of my plugs were in a brown envelope under the back seat.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Comes with 5 plugs.

I have a Super Glide, PullRite told me no go for a Ford 2011 adapter. Too bad on their part.

Hensley, if you already have one, makes an adapter for the PullRite super rails kit.

Hensley makes an adapter for the 2011 Ford factory kit that adapts standard "slotted rail" hitches. But, I don't know if they sell it separately. I have pictures of it on the forum here.

The factory option is nice, if a hitch yo like is made to fit. In my case the TrailerSaver works out great and was on my short list.

Since the new truck is an 8' bed the Super Glide was not going back in.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Noah2010
Junior User
Truck came with factory installed fiver hitch....plugs located in a bag in the pigeon hole.

Still Smiling

Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Johnnyturbo
5th Wheeling
I don't mean to highjack the thread. Am in the market for a fifth wheel hitch on my 2011 f350 KR CC SRW short bed and have been reading all the info here on this great site. I didn't get the prep package from the factory but today my dealer has priced the reece prep package less the electric plug-in inside the box for a whopping $2700 including hitch, underbed frame mount, 5 plugs for the holes, 3 1/2 hours labour to install and HST. I like the fact it is engineered thru Ford and can pull up to 30,000 lbs but it is hard to justify when others have quoted much less for others like the B&W Companion or the PullRite. Is the Reese a slider hitch and does one have to have a slider mechanism in a short bed? Are those that went this route happy with it?
I have a old Reese hitch now with the rails above bed but don't want the obtrusion in my box and am under the impression I have to get a slider for my swb. Looking for all options available before I dive in and am travelling south of the border soon so one could shop for one to install then.

Much appreciated

John

Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Sliders in short bed trucks depend almost as much on the trailer as the truck.
There are several trailers manufactured and advertised as being able to be pulled by a SWB truck without a slider, Heartland is one of the players.

I have a Heartland Cyclone with the "patented 88 degree turn" front end.

And I can tell you that I absolutely needed a slider on my GMC SWB Sierra.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I have a B&W and here's a look at how close my trailer comes to the cab:

Airbags are going in next week.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Johnnyturbo
5th Wheeling
Thanks so much Porthole and EpicCowlick. I gather it depends on your pin location in relation to the nose of your fifth wheel whether or not you would need a slider hitch. It sure would be nice to go without the slider unless it of the automatic type.

Thanks for the timely thread Rcorcich.

I like the ease of the install on the B & W thanks to your video Epic and the relative lower cost of the hitch comparitively. The Reese I will have to have a look at some more as I like the engineering involved in the 4 point weight distibution but a little costly. I travel with my fifth wheel for work and move ever 6 weeks so ease of taking hitches in/out and weight are another consideration for me.

Has anybody heard of just leaving their hitch on the pin while unhooking using the Reese/factory prep package?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:27 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Since Epic posted, here is mine:

The trailer is 90 degrees.
The Super Glide has done it's thing and is back 14" from the straight ahead position.

I think it is quite obvious that even with my patented "88 degree turning radius" that I could not accomplish that turn with my truck.

Something to keep in mind with most toy haulers - they are 101" wide - 5" wider then a standard trailer - that's 2.5 extra inches on each side you need to be concerned with.

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 2011 Trailer tow prep package